“Always Great”

Ranked #82 of 851 Hotels in Bangkok
Bangkok, Thailand
“Always Great”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2014

3rd time in the Park Plaza and I am impress every time. Rooms are very nice and well maintain, perfect Housekeeping and great staff (special mention to Giant, the chief concierge. This guy can find you anything at anytime).

The only hiccup, and I will look silly, is the Pizza deliver in-room. They put a nice round Pizza picture on the room table tent but you actually receive a rectangular pre-portion/cut thing. It still taste ok but what a lake of attention and quality compare with the rest.

Overall: Great…

Room Tip: Take the upgrade to the club executive. THe value for money is worthless….
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Parkplaza B, General Manager at Park Plaza Bangkok Soi 18, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Dear Roger,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write to us on TripAdvisor!

I thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope to have the pleasure to welcome you, your family or friend to the Park Plaza Bangkok Soi 18 (Sukhumvit)!

reservations.bangkoksoi18@parkplaza.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (312)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2014

I would definitely recommend this hotel. The location is bang in the centre of Bangkok, the rooms were very comfortable and staff friendly. The concierge were very helpful and the checking in and out was very easy. The only slight downside was that room must have been a smoking room which was a bit annoying but as we were out most of the day it was ok

Room Tip: Try and make sure it's a non smoking room
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Parkplaza B, General Manager at Park Plaza Bangkok Soi 18, responded to this review, May 2, 2014
Dear Dcrook,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write to us on TripAdvisor!

I appreciate your feedback regarding your stay at the Park Plaza Bangkok Soi 18 (Sukhumvit) and have shared these with my team. It is always a pleasure to receive a positive review, which will serve as an encouragement to all our Associates as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services. I have well noted for the non-smoking room and provided this information to my Executive Housekeeper.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2014

This hotel is on a nice quiet side street that has great local food stalls, cafes & bars. The gym & pool is wonderful with small bar on 8th floor. The beds are very comfortable and the rooms lovely & tidy and clean, if you want a room with a view then you need to ask for this as not all rooms look out onto the street.
This hotel also has a nice Restaurant.
Remember to turn left out of the hotel to experience these and also to turn right out of the hotel for more food stalls, cafes & bars. Also some great massage places along the road. Local laundries if you wish to use these or put your laundry in at the hotel.
Staff are very friendly, helpful and the Concierge can drop you at a short distance to the main road. The train station and 2 large shopping centres are nearby. There is a local Thai village Museum - always ask for times that this is open.

Night entertainment - bars are walking distance away - Soi Cowboy if this is what you like....always an experience!!!!

Room Tip: If you are looking for a room with a view you will need to ask.
Dear Aussietraveler,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write to us on TripAdvisor and for kindly commenting on our cleanliness, which is a major focus of service consistency for us!

San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2014

The Park Plaza offers stylish rooms near SukhumvitMRT/Asok BTS for a very low price, offering great value for the repeat visitor!
The hotel is pretty stylish, from the lobby to the hallways and the rooms - check out their (accurate!) pictures to see if you like the style! I liked the big, modern bathroom, the comfortable bed and the hardwood floors. Safe, coffee, TV and fridge are all provided and spotless.
The hotel is just a short walk from Sukhumvit/Asok with easy access to the malls along Sukhumvit and most places you want to go via skytrain/subway. The Terminal 21 mall with some funky, local stores, lots of food places and a Fitness First gym is a few minutes walk The Park Plaza is on a side street, so fairly quiet for Bangkok.
They have a nice pool and small gym - which I didn't use. The restaurant looks nice as well, but didn't try it.
The service was consistently professional and friendly, even by high Thai standards, from the bellhop to the front desk and house keeping.
The value of the Park Plaza Soi 18 is excellent, especially for a chain hotel. You pay rates comparable to independent hotels and still get the benefits of their frequent guest program with Club Carlson!
I usually have something to nit-pick, but surprisingly nothing here...
This is very comparable with the Park Plaza Sukhumvit (slightly closer to BTS, usually a little more expensive) or the Holiday Inn Sukhumvit (same price, not as good service, further walk to BTS).

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank FollowYourDreamSF
Dear Followyourdream,

Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2014

Fantastic hotel. We arrived late at night and were greeted with smiley faces and a nice cold drink. The hotel were also great at organising taxis and gave us a map to help us get around. The staff were excellent and so were the facilities. I would definitely stay here again. We were close to some lovely massage places and bars and restaurants. Also close to the Sky Train.

1 Thank shipchoi
Dear Shipchoi,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write to us on TripAdvisor and for your kind comments on our staff! :)

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for an overnight stay as we used Bangkok as a base to fly in and out of.
Overall it was great. We had a VIP room which was very nice. This included drinks and canapés in the room price as well as breakfast. Canapés were a little disappointing, not quite what we thought it would be. The service from the staff was fantastic though always ensuring our glasses were full.
Breakfast was great and once again service from staff was outstanding.
Comfortable bed, great bathroom, all very well equipped.
Overall well worth a stay, good pool area, close to MRT, and good restaurants within an easy walk.
We must commend the hotel on excellent customer service throughout, from the reception, staff through to the cleaners, all were quick In acknowledgment as we walked by and always had a smile on their face.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Johnda,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write to us on TripAdvisor and for your kind comments on our customer service! :)

Melbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2014

I stayed here 11 nights on a recent trip. The hotel is far from Marriot/Hilton/Intercontinental standards and is quite rough around the edges. However, considering the location, modern rooms and the price tag of around 2000 baht per night, it is OUTSTANDING value.

The hotel is located near the Asoke intersection where the Bangkok BTS (skytrain) connects with the Bangkok MRT (subway), making it an extremely convenient location to be based. One can access most tourist sites using the BTS and MRT.

The BTS and MRT stations, and the Terminal 21 Shopping Mall was only 5 minutes walk from the hotel. This was the main drawcard for me.

The street (soi 18) is quiet and safe. Small tourist-oriented restaurants, massage shops (suspicious looking ones at that), street food stalls, 7-11/family mart and tailors occupy the same street. The only hassle was the suspicious-looking men who gather near the hotel trying to sell fake watches. They were not aggressive and did not look dangerous.

In the Exchange Tower located at the Asoke intersection, there were modern cafes, an amazing fitness centre, dry cleaners, beauty clinics and pharmacy. Terminal 21 Shopping Mall has a fantastic food court, restaurants for all tastes and preferences, a gourmet supermarket, cinema and little shops like those of Chatujak weekend market.

The area outside soi 18 can be chaotic given its proximity to the BTS/MRT interchange and the notorious Bangkok red-light districts: "soi Cowboy" and “Nana” entertainment areas. Many bars, pool parlours, karaoke shops, suspicious massage shops, houses of ill-repute and aggressive tailor shop owners can be found along the nearby streets. However, if one sticks to the hotel-MRT/BTS/Terminal 21 route, there should be no problem.

Officially, the hotel provides a tuk-tuk shuttle service to the BTS/MRT/Terminal 21. However, in the time I stayed at the hotel, I did not see the tuk-tuk run even once. On one occasion, I asked to use the shuttle. However, after waiting 15 minutes and seeing the tuk-tuk still parked with no movement or urgency from any member of staff, I gave up and decided to walk.

I stayed in the executive room on the 3rd floor facing Sukhumvit Road (north). The room and bathroom was spacious, clean and modern. There were no signs of age and the room was tastefully decorated. Most of the room features were typical of a modern 4-4.5 star hotel. This is another strong drawcard of the hotel. The Wifi signal was strong and fast.

The view from the room was horrible, directly facing a carpark and the ugly steel shed roof of the restaurant next door. I recommend asking for a room that faces another direction.

The TV had a very limited selection of English channels, not even Star Sports, Discovery Channel, National Geographic, BBC or CNN. I was quite frustrated that I could not watch some big premier league matches that were on during my stay. I was mostly stuck watching Korean news (in English) and a trash TV channel showing Desperate Housewives. Bring a good book if you plan on spending a lot of time in the room or your own DVDs (a DVD player is available).

The sleep quality was poor. The air-conditioner was loud and often made spluttering noises. Anything that occurred in the hallway could be heard inside the room. I was woken up on many occasions due to doors slamming or Chinese tourists shouting at each other. The construction work next door also woke me up in the morning.

The power socket on the bedside table switched off whenever we removed the keycard, so the bedside clock would reset every time we left the room. Luckily, we did not rely on the clock before we realised this. The only solution was to plug the bedside clock into the power socket on the desk, which was always on. However, that defeats the purpose of a bedside clock.

A safety concern I had was that a keycard was not required to activate the lift so anyone could have access to the hotel and its rooms. There were no shoe horns, sewing kits (which surprisingly I found myself in need of) or shoe shine mits available in the room.

The pool was nice but was not overly large or fancy. The gym was small but had enough equipment for a decent workout. The staff were courteous and professional, except for one young door man who kept ogling my partner. I was charged an early-check in fee, which I did not appreciate and which I have not had to do at any other higher-end hotel in Bangkok, except for the shocking Grand Centre Point Terminal 21 (refer to my reviews).

Stay at this hotel because for the price, you get a fantastic location and a modern, clean and comfortable room. The service is good and the pool is nice. You do not get much else but for that price, it is fantastic value. Then again, maybe my expectations are too high for this price range?

Would I stay here again? Maybe - if I was on a budget, and needed a comfortable room to sleep in, in a clean and modern hotel that was in near the BTS/MRT in central Bangkok.

If I wanted to splurge, I would stay at Marriot Executive Apartments Sukhumvit Park or Okura Prestige. If I had to go down a notch, maybe Novotel Ploenchit. But if I was on a tight budget, maybe I would consider Park Plaza 18 again. I would also look at Silq on Sukhumvit Soi 19.

Room Tip: Book a standard room on the hotel website. After confirming the booking, you will get another email...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Wingwang,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write to us on TripAdvisor and for your nice and detailed review covering all areas of the hotel! We are now in the process of implementing some additional TV selections as well :)