“PARK PLAZA SOI 18 BANGKOK”

Park Plaza Bangkok Soi 18
Ranked #82 of 868 Hotels in Bangkok
Southampton, United Kingdom
“PARK PLAZA SOI 18 BANGKOK”
Reviewed May 9, 2012

As a travel agent, I am familiar with the Park Plaza Hotels in the UK and have stayed at a number of them which are excellent. For my first visit to Thailand, I decided to try the Park Plaza in Bangkok and chose the newest hotel Park Plaza Soi 18. I wasn't disappointed! What a fantastic find this hotel was. It is located in a quiet street just off the main Sukhumvit Road which is the commercial centre with plenty of shopping/restaurants and nightlife. A short five minute walk takes you there with easy access to the excellent Skytrain around Bangkok. Check in was fast, efficient and friendly with a cold welcome drink after our long flight from London. Our room was large, clean and well furnished. Beds are very clean and very comfortable. The view from our room was not great as the hotel is a city hotel amongst many taller buildings adjacent. However, our stay in Bangkok was NOT to be spent in our hotel bedroom! So it was perfectly fine for our visit of 3nts. There is a roof-top pool and restaurant which is gorgeous in the evenings as it is surrounded by trees and twinkling blue lights. Meals AND drinks are half price during their long Happy Hour from 6-9pm. It is fantastic value for money. Food at the hotel was excellent with a great buffet breakfast. There is a small terrace off the main restaurant which was lovely to enjoy our coffee after breakfast each morning. We could sit and people-watch as everyday life went on below us. The reception staff and the concierges could not have been more helpful. They gave us great advice concerning sight-seeing and information regarding taxis and tut-tuts. We were told to be careful of these as they can sometimes dupe the unsuspecting tourist so make sure you agree prices BEFORE you get in the cab/tut-tut. We decided to use the public transport which is brilliant and very easy. Our concierge advised about a 1 day ticket which cost around THB180 - approx £3.50. In summing up - I would DEFINITELY stay at the Park Plaza Soi 18 again on my next visit to Bangkok. This was a brilliant little gem in the heart of the city!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank CAROMAC79
Peter L, General Manager at Park Plaza Bangkok Soi 18, responded to this review, May 11, 2012
Dear Caromac,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write to us on TripAdvisor and for your highly positive and thorough feedback!

Thank you for noting a vast array of our services from breakfast through to our team. This is very motivating for our team :)

I appreciate your feedback regarding your stay at the Park Plaza Bangkok Soi 18 and have shared these with my team. It is always a pleasure to receive positive review, which will serve as an encouragement to all our Associates as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

I thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope to have the pleasure to welcome you, your family or friend to the Park Plaza Bangkok Soi 18!.

plucas@parkplaza.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (324)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed May 9, 2012

I had one day to kill in Bangkok before my flight home to the U.S. and wanted to be in the Soi 18-22 area. This hotel is very nice but should not be confused with the "other" Park Plaza closer to Sukhumvit.

Nice Pool, gym was adequate, professional staff as well. Soi 18 is pretty quiet actually compared to Soi 22.

Room was very hip and had everything you need with this cool bathroom setup that was very open to the rest of the room. Room safe, refrig, robe, two bottles of comp water, and a very high tech key entry systems (tap and enter).

One small drawback which is a nit is my room (#616) had a view of apartments about 25 feet away with laundry hanging outside and most folks leave their sliding door open so you feel close to your neighbors : )

I booked last minute the day of on Expedia in May of 2012, This room was not cheap but very well appointed (just under $90 U.S. with taxes etc). You can find cheaper but in this area you get what you pay for. Cheers.

Room Tip: Try for an odd number room like 617 vs. 616 to avoid seeing neighbor apt activity.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank supernova72
Peter L, General Manager at Park Plaza Bangkok Soi 18, responded to this review, May 10, 2012
Dear Supernova,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write to us on TripAdvisor! Thank you very much for your detailed comments in relation to our location, room quality and service - we shared your review today in our morning briefing.

Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed May 9, 2012

I would have said that is a great hotel, but we had some minor drawbacks that ruined our mood and therefore I must give a fair 4 out of 5 stars rating.
The hotel itself is great. As everybody said - good location. The rooms are very nice. Modern, spacious. A perfect business hotel. The toiletries are good quality. You couldn't fault it.
But...although the hotel is extremly clean, in our room is was obviously that the cleaning lady had some problems. Only after we spoke with the manager and had to change the room, the things got normal. The manager was very polite and efficient, but we would have loved to solve the issue via the reception and not disturb the manager, but the receptionist showed no reaction to our requests.
Also, the interaction with the doorman left us with a bitter taste...
On the other hand, the rest of the stuff was amazing. The food was great and the prices were very, very convenient for this level of quality and service.
The pool was very nice. There were plenty of free seats. One could easily find an available sun deck. An incrredible feeling to swim in that pool.
Overall, a very good experience.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank irinai
Dear Irinai,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write to us on TripAdvisor! We are soo happy that you commented on our pool - salt water pool, thank you for your thorough comments regarding the service and hote quality.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed May 8, 2012

Park Plaza Bangkok Soi 18: Location is just perfect, It's near the BTS and MRT station, as well as Sukhumvit shopping center. The hotel provides free tuk-tuk drop to the main road. Housekeeping staff at this hotel is great the rooms are always very clean, the entire hotel always smells good, the carpets always smell fresh & clean, which I think is a great plus. The staff are extremely polite & helpful. They would go out of their way to help you with things, they would negotiate with local Taxi drivers. The man at the door is a Star, he would give you free entry pass to night clubs in Bangkok, which generally is THB 800. Rooms are nice cozy to assure a goodnight sleep. Internet speed is great. There is a very nice restaurant next door to the hotel, which serves some excellent Thai food & is very reasonably priced & it also a lot of massage options in the lane. I would give 8 out of 10 to this hotel & for sure would come back to this hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank AmitHnM
Dear Amit,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write to us on TripAdvisor! We appreciated your great comments in relation to our location and product features.

Miami, Florida
Reviewed May 7, 2012

This hotel would fit "most" Bangkok travelers. On a quet soi (18) near the action and restaurants. Nice, cheap outside thai restaurant next door. I think it was called "P-Kitchen. Can not miss it. Lunch, maybe $5-$6..and good food.

Room was nice and new. Bed was comfy and the bathroom really had a nice design with separate shower and bathtub. Plus the lighting made it really cool!

300 bht ($10) for a nice buffet breakfast with breakfast and thai food. Had dinner in the restaurant..very nice and reasonably priced. I had a steak with sides and soup..about $16. Not bad for a hotel restaurant.

Pool on roof with jacuzzi and gym. The benefit to roof is that some hotels that are crunched together have their pools on the side or back of the hotel structure. You will get sun for maybe 39% of the day.

The front doorman was very helpful when I needed to print 2 business documents and the lobby printer was not working. I sent them to the hotels business email and he printed them for me. This was very helful in that I had an appointment and needed these documents printed.

Park Plaza by Carlson...Korp Kun Kup (thank you-thai)...in Bangkok.

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms do not have a good view. You face an apartment building about 20 meters away from your...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Peter L, General Manager at Park Plaza Bangkok Soi 18, responded to this review, May 9, 2012
Dear Travelguy,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write to us on TripAdvisor!

Thank you for your great and varied detailed positive feedback in relation to our breakfast, hotel team, pool, gym and jacuzzi. I shared your response this morning in our daily briefing!

Reviewed May 3, 2012 via mobile

Very good stay in the hotel. I like the TV most as it can connect with my iPad to watch DVD via wifi.

• Stayed April 2012
Dear Mandy,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write to us on TripAdvisor!

London
Reviewed April 30, 2012

Stayed here for 4 nights at the start of my recent holiday. Location is great, just a short walk from Asoke BTS/MRT, along with many nightlife options. Room was nicely done and clean. Can't comment on the breakfast as didn't try it. Wifi worked fine in the room, speed was acceptable. Rooftop pool area was nice, although i feel it would benefit from more sun loungers around the pool (only 4 at present). Fantastic restaurant next door (P Kitchen) serves really good, reasonably priced food. All the staff we encountered were polite, with a good level of english spoken too. All in all an enjoyable stay, and would certainly consider staying here again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank houston80
Peter L, General Manager at Park Plaza Bangkok Soi 18, responded to this review, May 3, 2012
Dear Houston,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write to us on TripAdvisor! We had shared your great response in our morning briefing this morning and thank you for your kind notes on our location and service.

Just to let you know, we have just ordered additional furniture for the pool lounge bar and will be coming in the next few weeks. You will notice great additions on your next stay with us :)