“Value for money! Great location!”
Review of Bangkok City Hotel

Bangkok City Hotel
Ranked #261 of 889 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed January 5, 2012

It's a new hotel. 5 mins walk to Ratchathewi BTS station...about 15 mins walk to Pratunam & Platinum Mall. Nice & clean room! The setback were difficulty in finding yourself a place during breakfast and they do not have iron & ironing board!!!

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank SellyD

Reviewed January 2, 2012

Checked into a twin 19th storey room with nice city views.
Bed was comfortable to give me a good night sleep.
Nice to see a LCD TV in the room.
Would appreciate the water from the shower to be stronger and hotter.
Had trouble logging into the free WIFI when I tries to log in with two devices (Laptop & mobile) simultaneously. Maybe they can do something to improve on that.
Took at least 20mins to fill the bath tub. Note that the bath tub is the sitting kind and not the kind that you can lie in it.
Breakfast was acceptable except for the sunny side up which egg yolk is fully cooked.
There's a 7-11 next door and the food street below that only comes alive at night.
Location is rather convenient. 10mins walk to the BTS and 20mins walk to the shopping district or malls of Pratunam and Siam Paragon.
15mins walk to Phaya Thai airport link.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank HongXin
Reviewed December 29, 2011

We stayed here for 3 nights, we booked through the Internet and requested for 3 beds but unfortunately they only gave us 2 beds and we have to combine the beds to accommodate us 3. Most of the hotel attendants doesn't know how to speak English so we had a hard time talking with them but aside from those things I mentioned all in all the hotel was great it has a pool, great tasting buffet breakfast, and most of all it is near the attractions, malls and everything you would want to visit Bangkok. They also have a tour agency so you could book or arrange the places in Bangkok you want to visit. This is one great hotel you should try. It just opened in 2010 so it's basically new compared to other hotels in bkk.

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed December 23, 2011

As I arrived at the hotel wf my family n ask for chk- in.. We had told them that we wanted adjoining rms if available or if not then rms next to each others. Actually when we booked online we already stated in our requests.The staffs doesn't seem to understand much English n we had to show them by using the rooms card key to place on the table to show them n in the end they still dun understand n gave us rooms that were far from each others.. I think they need to upgrade their English language!not a bad hotel for couples or frens but it's inconvenient for big families wh they can't gv rooms next to 1 another..!

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed December 20, 2011

A few surprises during check-in:
1) I was asked to pay in full the hotel room charges upon check in. What if I decide to cut short my stay? This is quite unusual practice in Bangkok, the first time I have encountered.
2) I have reserved for three beds as reflected on Asiarooms.com, but was told that there were no 3 bed rooms in this hotel, only a Queen size bed plus a single bed, not sure to blame Asiarooms or BCH?
3) There is free wifi in the room but you have to ask the user/pwd from the frontdesk, and only one login at anytime, so if you have other devices such as iphone or tablet, tough luck. Anyway I have not been successful in using my ipad and android phone to login via wifi. The internet connection to many Singapore websites are painfully slow.

Otherwise, the hotel is pretty new, my unit which is "3-bedder" comes with a 32" LCD TV, a laptop safe, a refrigerator, water boiler, hair dryer etc. Much better than I have expected. The breakfast is buffet style with good variety. The location is just next to Samran Place hotel which I had stayed in previous trip and the hotels are just 5-10minutes walk from the Ratchathewi BTS (metro) station. There is a 7-11 next to the hotel, so very convenient for tourists. The downsides are unfriendly front desk and b/f staff and the weird basin which in my opinion is not practical. The biggest bugbear is the slow internet to certain sites.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank ktseng
Reviewed December 8, 2011

I was first checked into room 1809 at 2200. I had a late flight and what was in the room to welcome me was not desired. After a brief check of the room, I turned back to the washroom only to find an adult cockroach greeting me. A complete shock of my life! Luckily my travel mate took care of it. Next? The aircon is spoilt. Took more than 20min for the housekeeping to send the technicians to my room. Took another 20min before they decided it's beyond repair and 'upgraded' me to a deluxe room 817.

Not much of an upgrade. it's situated at a corner, blocked by a thick wall which cuts out the wifi completely (only accessible when you stepped out of the room). The room view has changed from a city view to some old buildings less than 20meters away, which means curtains are forever down for me.

Is there any merits for the hotel?? yes of course!

1. It's a stone throw from the last stop Phaya Thai (Airport Railway Link). You can either take a 15min walk from there to & fro the hotel when you have light luggage. Alternatively, a 50bahts cab ride will take you there comfortably after a week of shopping.

2. Lots of cheap food available. A few restaurants and road side stalls are just adjacent.
Very cheap & authentic thai food which are frequented by locals up to 2am.
ordering is easy as they provide menu with english labelling & photos.
Soi12 also provide some nice snacks when you aint up for a heavy meal. Across the road are also some stalls where you can get bread with pandan pudding & the signature Thai milk tea for less than 50bahts.

3. massage parlour is just next door too. Foot massage is always a treat after a long day of walking.

4. breakfast (7am-10am)is included in the room rate, which is already a steal for a 3star hotel in central bangkok. but you do need to get up early to get any decent spread. My first breakfast starts at 9am and I ended up at Soi12 with dumpling noodles instead.
They do not refill even upon request. Hot soup or porridge are not kept warm too. I took a bowl at 730am later & it was only slightly above room temperate.

5. Guided tours can be easily arranged at a counter at the lift entrance. The guy speaks chinese and simple english so it will come in handy for some travelers. He's not pushy in getting you to sign up for tours, and was kind enough to provide information as & when you need it.

Would I stay there again?
Yes, proximity to public transportation & major shopping points are a big welcome.

No, if there's a newer budget hotel within the vicinity. One consideration could be Siam Swana, just next to Asia Hotel.

Room Tip: Higher floors will keep you away from the road noise. Choose rooms with numbers x0x (with zero in t...