“Too small, cold for your money”
Review of ETZzz Hostel

ETZzz Hostel
Ranked #165 of 1,210 Specialty Lodging in Bangkok
Mexico City, Mexico
“Too small, cold for your money”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

The hostel isn't bad. It IS quiet. Nice roof top where you can half the city, not the 360 advertised. Staff is friendly and smiley. Hard beds, but sleepable. But that's probably due to the fact that not many people seem to stay there. Some rooms are still in construction phase, tho none was going on during my time there. The really big problem with this place is the size of the rooms vs. the oversized AC on the wall. I've stayed in many hostels in Thailand and Vietnam and NEVER have I come upon such non-caring, disrespectful people as those who stay here. In the women's dorm (which is the size of your foot), some woman going thru menopause decided we had to suffer with her with 26 degrees - even at night. All of us were freezing. When she was the last to leave, she'd leave the AC on at that temp. After the 2nd night of her, I decided to check out. When the reception asked me why and I told her, there seemed to be only indifference. I decided instead to move my room as I didn't want to leave w/only 2 more nights to go. I was moved to the top floor. Again, foot size room, but with 4 bunks (no window). Temp was already at 26 degrees when I went in there (nobody was actually in there). Another woman said the first night she'd stayed the temp was at 16 degrees! When I returned in the afternoon, I walked into the empty room at 21 degrees! I checked out. Other problem is the lack of cleaning. Was there 3 days with no cleaning going on. WHen I asked if it would be cleaned that day, I was informed the hostel is cleaned every day. NOT true. The following day, still with no cleaning, I complained again. I was lied to again - cleaning takes place every day, sheets are changed on 3rd day of stayovers. After I informed them of reality, cleaning began to take place. But my sheet was never changed nor offered to be changed. The housekeeper lacks the knowledge of how to clean a sink properly. She is severly depressed and it's obvious this isn't her dream job. The tp outside the toilets is...not practical. For the same price as the "promotion" (200 baht), you can stay at the de Talak, which is what I recommend. Their reg. prices aren't worth it, esp. if you're not a fan of AC or want to avoid getting sick.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank travelinhobo_10

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Reviewed July 10, 2012 via mobile

I purposely chose etz hostel for its location at first as I wanted some downtime from the partying. However upon arrival in Bangkok my bus dropped me at the backpacker centre of Khao San Road and it cost me 130THB to get to the hostel!! I wanted to meet friends who were staying in Khao San so the cheapest option was a bus for a tiny 7THB but this isn't really an option if you do go out and need to get home late!

The rooms were very small but well equipped but there were only four toilet/shower rooms per floor- each floor having 6+ rooms maybe! Also there was no atmosphere there and nobody hung out in the common room so I ended up moving hostel to...yep, NEAR Khao San Road.

• Stayed July 2012
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed April 22, 2012

The good stuff:
1) Nice comfy bed with clean white sheets and comfy blanket. I slept like a baby! Now, mind you, this was my first experience with a "dorm-style" anything, and I actually liked it.
2) Well-functioning air conditioning in the dorm rooms. If you set foot in Bangkok -- even if it's in the so-called "cool" season (November through February) -- you may be more comfortable with AC. But if you find yourself in Bangkok in the hot season (March through June), be sure you've got AC, even if you've gotta give up some privacy. (Can you tell I stayed here during the hot season??)
3) Wifi works great and is free. When I needed a break from that blistering heat, I surfed the internet on my cool, comfortable, wonderful bed.
4) Hot water showers in their bathrooms. Don't laugh, because there are more than enough places without hot water showers in Bangkok. It gets old.
5) Did I mention it's the cheapest thing going? For AC, wifi, and and a place to sleep, it's a huge bargain.

So, *I* really loved the place, but I'll give a couple things that others might not like:
- If you are really worried about your stuff, here might not be the place for you. There are smallish lockers, but for the most part, people kept their stuff on their beds with them while they slept. Personally, I wasn't concerned about my possessions, and left my computer in my room all the time (it's fairly old, and I was willing to take the gamble).
- If you are looking for something really up to American/European standards, this is not your place. (Check out Lubd Hostel if that's your bag -- it's a few more bucks, but more modern. I stayed in both, and prefered ETZzzz myself, but they each have their benefits.)
- The bathrooms are Thai-style, which is to say, the shower pours all over the floor and the toilet. When one person gets out, the bathroom is a huge puddle. If you've hung around in SE Asia, you may have gotten used to this. In my american opinion, it's a little icky to wade through the puddle to use the toilet, but hey, who cares.
- The online pics of the place make it look nicer than it is. I'm not saying that in a mean way -- parts of it are starting to need a fresh paint job.
- The actual sleeping rooms are the only parts of the building that are air conditioned. Not the 4th floor lounge (which is cute and has a bunch of books and guidebooks, as well as computers that are free to use), and certainly not the hallways.
- If you like being in a party district, this is *not* the place you want to be. If you *do* choose to stay in the Khao San Rd tourist area of the Sukhumwit Rd tourist area, you will probably meet more tourists (which can be fun) and have more eating, shopping and drinking options just outside your door. On the other hand, you will have loads of people hustling you for your tourist dollar (me: "ick").

Hopefully this gives you guys a good basis of info. Choose what works for you!

Room Tip: I definitely would make sure you don't get stuck on the fourth floor. (It's the floor that...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Noumea, New Caledonia
Reviewed March 26, 2012

I stayed in a girls-only dorm on the second floor for 3 nights and was very happy with my choice. Rooms are very clean, with spotless white sheets and a fleece cover on every bed.There are medium sized lockers for your valuables (you provide the padlock) and room in the corners for your bags. Every bed is equiped with a reading light, a plug and a small area to put things such as glasses and a book.
The shared lounge has a great sitting area where you can meet fellow travelers and two computers for those who are not using the free wifi. You can also,lounge (or bake) on the small rooftop.
The shared bathroom are fairly ordinary for Thailand (shower and toilets in the same space) and pretty clean. The hostel being a shoe-free area, the are no muddy shoe prints.
The CBD is noisy 24/7, and around Etzzz is no exception, but a pair of earplugs does the trick, and I didn't get much noise from inside the hostel.
The location is really convenient, close to the skytrain and the subway. Around the corner are delicious food stalls, convenience stores and fast food joints. Lumphini park and stadium (for Muay Thai fights) are accross the street. I was able to roam the CBD, malls, Lumphini park, night market and go to Jim Thomson's house and Chatuchak weekend market very easily.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Manchester
Reviewed February 26, 2012

Cheap hostel based in a good location for the MRT and transfers for the skytrain. We booked a double room with ensuite for about £16 a night, bargain! The room was of reasonable size and was clean. We're back in Bangkok in about 4 weeks and will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Lawrence, Kansas
Reviewed February 18, 2012

I stayed here 2 nights, in 2 different 8-bed dorm rooms. My first night, I stayed on the 4th floor and I was able to sleep for only 4 hours due to the noise/loud music from the "bar" just outside my door. The bar/lounge is quite nice with 3 computers/couches/tables and is a great place to meet other travellers. However, if you want to sleep, I would recommend getting a room on the 3rd or 2nd floor.
The dorms were clean and the beds were comfortable, but the bathrooms should have been cleaned more frequently. Some of the staff were nice and helpful, but some seemed a bit annoyed/condescending.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank 1TelltLikeItIs
Vancouver
Reviewed January 14, 2012

I've traveled all over SEA and Bkk was my final destination before going back home. I have stayed almost a week at ETZzz and I definitely love everything there! The location is so great, very close to MRT station and plenty of cheap street foods around plus 4-5 convenient stores. The character of the hostel is not really bold but simple with very cool community on the 4th floor and the rooftop.

All staffs there were really nice and very helpful. They were always willing to help all guests with all everything singles details of travelling; directions, places to eat, places to shop, how to get a visa, and where to hit the good parties :p

The cleanliness was also good but not all the time for the toilet in the busy period. No bugs bed and clean+comfy bed made me so happy.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends