“beyond expectations”

Ranked #217 of 851 Hotels in Bangkok
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“beyond expectations”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

We were suggested to stay at this hotel by the airport hotel desk and it was supposed to be a 4*hotel, but all they offer is more than European 5* hotels have! The service, elegance and politeness is exceptional. Rooms are big, modern and clean. You may have great buffet dinner or go a la carte, food is tasty, elegant, pretty, with Thai flavor.

Room Tip: very convenient airport shuttle
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
shanghai
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

The Grand Fourwings Convention Hotel is like a hotel created by a computer: efficient, user friendly, and containing all the functions you require. It is also soulless and full of pop up reminders and disclaimers, but thankfully no bugs. As a stop off point between flights, it works well. We were mainly looking for a clean, not too expensive hotel near the airport, and it hits those marks. Rooms are new and good sized; the whole property has a "Modern China" feel, if you have stayed in any newer hotel in mainland China you know what I mean - I call it "generic opulence". Disappointingly there is barely a whiff of anything Thai in the hotel. Dinner buffet offers a huge selection of choices (including a few Thai dishes), it was quite impressive. Don't miss: the outdoor pool area is lovely. It is not huge but is well laid out, with two levels and swim up bar, also a shallower area for kids. Perfect for relaxing during a layover. Unfortunately the view is not nice: the surrounding area is the grim development sprawl found in most big Asian cities today with dilapidated factories, beaten down tenements and new shopping centers for as far as the eye can see. Conclusion: this is not a hotel that will charm you with Thai flavor or lasting memories, but it delivers what it promises. Recommended.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Melbourne
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

Pick-up arrangements and check-in were good. Escort to the room which was modern and clean. But there were down-sides to this stay. The first was telephone advice that breakfast was served from 5.30 am and as I needed to take the 6.00 am shuttle this was welcome news. However, on arrival I was informed that the meal start time was in fact 6.00 am. So despite having paid for it, it would be unavailable. When I checked out at 5.50 am, a large group were having breakfast but I was told this was not the usual practise.
On arrival I asked for an early morning call. Later in the day I asked that the call time be amended to a later time. 'Sure!" However the call came through at the original, earlier time. I decided to eat in at the hotel as the general location was pretty poor. The meal I was served was inedible - I can't remember having a worse meal. (Awful to the power of 10).
The hotel boasts 87 channels on the TV service. Discount the non-English speaking channels (as I need to do) and the sporting channels there were 5.
The hotel is some 15 - 16 km from the airport - about a 20 minute drive. There is virtually nothing to do in the neighbourhood. If you want an airport hotel I'd suggest somewhere closer to the airport [Great Western Amaranth springs to mind as having comparable cost and comfort] otherwise actually travel in to Bangkok where there are so many good hotels to choose from. The one advantage this place does offer is that it is suitable for large buses - hence my suggestion that it may be good for tour groups. But don't eat there!

Room Tip: Room on higher floors are quieter. Choose the Bangkok city views side.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
New South Wales, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

Insofar as we were concerned the staff and the premises were fine.
We had the advantage of one being Thai, knew where to go and what to ask when communicating with the bus or taxi driver.

I could see however, because of its location, that it probably not the best in the world. It is a bit of an effort to get to places.

Close to the airport (20 min + on a busy day). We look upon hotels , as a place to sleep when not doing things. I did manage too much sun by the pool last Saturday, which was very pleasant at the time. It did also suit the location we needed for 2 weeks which possibly influences my thoughts.
But as I mentioned, for us, the hotel and its staff ticked all our boxes.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Derby
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

My friend booked this hotel as it is very close to his condominium. We arrived early, before the 12.00 check in time, the hotel was not full and was informed that we had to pay 2000baht if we want to check in now. I have never ever had this experience. Have travelled all over the world and even a 2 star hotel will never ask for early check in payment and especailly not a 5 star. This is not a 5 star hotel at all. 5 star in terms of the building and room but not service. I would call this a NO FRILL 5 STAR HOTEL as you had to pay if you want the free wi fi for a second device. You have you ask for the toiletries to be replenished. My pet hate is staff hovering over you and waiting for you to pay when you asked for the bill. When I arrived at the Terrace Bar, 2nd night of my stay, the bar staff was sitting down and busy with his mobil phone. When he finally noticed me he came over to me and could not understand English. When I was there the Chinese and Japanese Restaurants were closed.
As for the swimming pool, it is a joke closing at 7pm. Breakfast again is nothing compared to other 5 star hotels I stayed here in Bangkok.
Overall, I would not recommend this hotel if you are expecting 5 star service and a true 5 star hotel. When I checked hotel.com and agoda, I saw hotels of similar rate at Novetel etc. and you will get a better service there.
It takes alot for me to give a poor review and I am sorry to say that this is one of the hotels I really had to.

Room Tip: Corner rooms 1906, great view.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank PinPetchThai
Munich, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

We stayed here two nights for a conference, probably at a special rate. The hotel is new and luxuriously built, providing 5 star quality at a 3 star price, great modern rooms with sweeping views over Bangkok. The location is convenient for the airport (with free shuttle) but not great for visiting the city or any other activities as it is located a bit in the middle of nowhere. The hotel has a large pool with nice views, but pool hours are not very customer friendly and the terrace floor is extremely slippery when wet. Overall we had a good experience.

Room Tip: Upper floors have better views.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ElsiePalm
scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

Great choice 15/20 minutes from airport. The hotel offer free pick up and drop off to the airport.
Perfect for a short stay in Bangkok.
Great rooms and breakfast buffet with lots of choice.
We had a 24 hour stay in Bangkok and was perfect. We arrived at 7pm and had late check out Next day so were able to have a good sleep in a comfortable bed and spent a lovely morning on the rooftop pool.
Nothing much in the area, however a perfect stop for a shorty stay.
I would return again if need an airport hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends