“Love Love Love this place”

SIP Wine Bar & Tasting
Ranked #4,170 of 12,096 Restaurants in Bangkok
Cuisines: International
Good for: Bar scene
Neighborhood: Thong Lor & Ekamai
Description: Sip wine bar offers a relaxing atmosphere to have a glass of affordable quality wine in the over priced Thai wine market. We offer happy hours from 5-8PM which is buy one get one free on house wines.We offer 15 different tapas snacks to complement your wine.We also have draught beer and cocktails. Just 5 mins from Ekkamai BTS opposite Ekkamai Soi 4.
Reviewed January 24, 2014

From San Francisco, semi retired here. Living in the Eakkami BTS area. SIP is a real gem. I'm actually hesitating to put this review in, in hopes of keeping it a secret for a bit longer. Wine is unbeatable for the price and good, really really good. Atmosphere is small and cozy. Not fancy, but exactly what I like. Feels more like coming home to my living room with friends rather than a restaurant. and the food. holy crap. I really didn't expect much, but wow. I had crispy salmon. it was slightly crispy on the outside and rare on the inside. Perfect. on a bed of potatoes. they know how to cook! I mean better than the nicer restaurants in town. I'm really excited to try more. Staff is eager to please and super friendly. There's really something very special about this place, but it's small so don't spread the word around to much.

1  Thank choi222

Reviewed September 18, 2013

Sip's Happy Hour continues to get smaller by the visit. BUT, the wines that are on special (99 baht glasses) are always delicious. I have tried a variety of wines and haven't been disappointed. It's always a great treat to drink wine in Thailand.

The last 2 times we have visited, the staff have seemed put off by us, even though we are the only customers, and there are usually 3 of them.

They are always out of food, so don't expect to eat while you are there.

Our first visit, we met Victor, the manager, who was friendly and welcoming and is one of the reasons that we have continued to go back.

Richieq123, Owner at SIP Wine Bar & Tasting, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2013

Hi Stephanie
Thanks for sharing, Sip is now under new management. Our happy hour has changed in the last few weeks. We now offer buy one get one free on house wines. Which works out at 80THB per glass. I agree with regards to the staff and we will be going through some training in the coming weeks. You're are more than welcome back anytime to SiP. We have devised a new menu just this week that includes freshly cooked dishes and a move away from frozen foods of the past. We now have 15 dishes, which are all fully stocked.

If you have any other suggestions, please contact me on Richard@sipwinebar.com

Thanks for your custom.
Richard

Reviewed February 25, 2013

This is value for money in the otherwise overpriced wine scene in Bangkok. Victor, the owner, and his team are doing a good job. One feels welcome and appreciated. My "watering place" of the year.

Reviewed February 8, 2013

Still trying to figure out what went wrong here. Having seen the write up in BK Magazine I looked at their website and was referred to other reviews which I read. It all sounded positive, especially the one or two time posters on trip advisor who said it was amazing, great food, went back again and again. I should have been wary of these posts. Living on the other side of Bangkok (Satorn) we made our way over to Ekamai on a Friday night. Made a reservation in advance thinking the place would be full since it was so hyped up. This was not needed as when I arrived at 630p only 2 other people were there. The place is small, it's a converted shop house with a mix match of furniture which reminded me of my Dad's basement bar when growing up and even had a damp moldy smell as you walk in.

Menu was handed to us and explained that the wine by the glass was all 99 baht till 8p. We ordered a red and a white and after being poured 2 mins later came back and told us he was mistaken but the wine was 149 baht as these wines were not on special. Ok no big deal but it wasn't a great start. The wine was acceptable so I ordered a bottle of red and my other friends ordered a bottle of white. The wine was poured from the bar with no offer of tasting and the white was poured from an already opened bottle. When we brought this to his attention he said oh the other white was not chilled and he would mark the 2nd bottle. Again we rolled our eyes and thought weird. The two friends who ordered the bottle of white seemed to only get 3 small glasses between the two of them as again we were not sure how he was managing the wine. I asked for my bottle to be brought to the table and managed it myself. We ordered food. Nachos, spring rolls, cheese platter, chicken wings and french fries. Food all sub par. The chicken wings looked anemic and the cheese platter was slivers of cold refrigerated cheese served with 4 nabisco crackers and the nachos were just a joke.

We had to ask several times for them to turn on the air conditioning and the whole time the place was stifling hot.

Total bill for 5 of us about 3000 baht. We left annoyed and hungry and headed elsewhere for something to eat.

I'm all for supporting small business but this was just bad. There are to many good wine bars now in Bangkok with great promotions such as 494 Wine Bar and Scarlette who offer great wine for 99 baht and Tapas at 99 baht a plate and the food is quality.

The five us work in the airline and hotel industry and again we were hoping for something fun and intimate but this turned out to be a wrong choice.

2  Thank flightcrew1

Hi There,
We are now under new management and have addressed a lot of the above. If you would like to come back I'd be happy to offer you a 20% discount of your total bill. The frozen foods have been replaced with 15 dishes, freshly cooked every day.

Our happy hour has improved, we have redecorated the place and the aircon is nice and chilled.

Thanks for your review.

Richard

Reviewed October 26, 2012

I was there during a MeetUp event, the place has a great selection of wine, and are reasonably priced, the service was pretty good. Although, I wish the place could provide some sitting with more privacy, it's a small open space, so when there're lots of people , it's sort of hard to talk