“Less is More Part 94 - Soulful Spirited Sentinel”

Soul Food Mahanakorn
Ranked #139 of 11,780 Restaurants in Bangkok
Cuisines: Thai, Fusion
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Thong Lor & Ekamai
Reviewed November 4, 2013

It probably isn't easy to survive in a city with over 8000 restaurants (acc. to TA), thousands more of street vendors (with some pretty amazing ones at that) serving a metropolis of more than 8 million inhabitants who mostly grew up eating Thai food all their lives. While many innovate, reinterpret, fuse, infuse (and sometimes confuse) the local cuisine with new ideas to attract attention, standout and differentiate themselves - others "stick to their guns" and just dish out "honest-to-goodness" stuff; prepared with passion and leaving it to the fussy public to judge and determine their survival. And yes, most of the diners were foreign-looking but there is little compromise on the authenticity (with the exception of the spicy hot levels upon request).

Soul Food Mahanakorn falls into the latter category and judging from the patronage on a Monday night, there is little to worry about its survival. (Reservations are essential in this tiny place) Instead of the industrial chic look that many restaurants are adopting to be "IN", SFM decidedly retains a Thai character with a simple teak-like decor. A two-page laminated menu (without photos) provides good choices for a varied dinner. If not, the chalkboard supplements with more daily specials. Portions are small and extremely ideal if you want to try as many dishes as possible. For a family of five, we ordered 8 dishes.

Isaan Wings*, Air-dried Beef & Pork, Flank Steak Nahm Tok*, Crispy Seabass with Green Pepper Pods*, Scrambled Eggs with Flower, Smoked Chicken Red Curry*, Grilled eggplant Pork Larb, Grilled Chiangmai Cured Sausages - All good, favourites with *. The layering of spices, herbs, edible flowers, textures and other indescribable exotic fragrances are somewhat mind-boggling and each dish has subtle flavour differences - not just the expected heat. Packing a definite punch on the taste buds, plating is straightforward and not as imaginative as its counterpart further up the road @ Supanniga but the quality, taste levels and prices are at par. Highly recommended.

2  Thank ECKLKualaLumpur

Reviewed November 2, 2013

My husband and I have been to Soul Food a number of times (maybe 5 or 6 now) and we've learned that some of the items on the menu are amazing...so order those...every time! We always are sure to order the Yum Som-o (pomelo salad) and the tamarind ribs. Other dishes are just extra to those two. We've never been disappointed with our experience because we stick to what's great (and don't get me wrong, we're usually the adventurous type). All of the other dishes we've tried here have been good...I enjoy the lamb grapow...but not as good as. Get my drift. Also, this restaurant is small, easy and unpretentious. We enjoy the atmosphere. Although sometimes I wish they'd slow down their service just a bit so we could really take the time to enjoy our meal (I know, weird thing to say in Thailand, but true here). If you haven't been to Soul Food and you live in BKK or visit often...do try!

1  Thank Nikki G
Reviewed October 26, 2013

While not on the Asia top 50 list, you'll notice that the chefs of the top 50 place dine here. It's no surprise that they do - the flavors are unbeatable, the ingredients fresh, and menu very well constructed. This blows away the run of the mill Thai restaurants, and though not as fussy as the 'top 50' places like Bo Lan or Nam, you may very well find the flavors here more noteworthy, approachable, and memorable. In my view, an absolute must for any Bangkok visit.

2  Thank Alfbo
Reviewed October 19, 2013

I really enjoy this tiny restaurant, I am frequently going as I live in the neighbourhood and we like to bring friends along. The service is great and the menu offers dishes that are all worth trying. I always like to take the starters, the samosas and the chicken wings (expected 20 min) are delicious!!!

The bartender is also well trained and able to do cocktails that I don't often seem on menu in Thailand. I would recommend you to look up at the suggestion menu for nice ideas.

Try to book in advance although if you just show up, they will try to accomodate your request!! Very nice place!!!

3  Thank Philiblue
Reviewed October 15, 2013

It's a hidden place. Not the destination. You will have to go there as there's not much around...
Location is nice a few meters from Bts.
Small place always busy. Small portions to share....and amazing food prepared (they say) according to the slow food trend.
The fish with lemon grass was too lemony abd the tiger prawns (starter) were very small...tiger hmmm ..
Cocktails were a positive surprise. Very nice indeed
But overall nice atmosphere in Bkk.