“Really nice meal”

Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Thong Lor & Ekamai
Reviewed December 13, 2012

I would actually like to give this 4.5 stars but since that isn't an option I'll round up. I really enjoyed the food and probably the best cocktail I had in the month we were in Thailand. We had a larger group and ordered a lot of different things and shared, this is the way to go here if you can. Overall, everything was very good. The curries were standouts. Service was pretty good, I would have loved to have been able to get some recommendations and ask some questions but we didn't have enough Thai language skills to do this and the servers spoke no English. I don't expect English to be spoken generally in Thailand of course but for some reason here I sort of thought it would it since it seems to draw a travel crowd, menus are in English, etc. Really nice atmosphere.

Other bonus is it is easy to find, convenient off the BTS.

Reviewed November 30, 2012

From the cocktails with local ingredients to the fabulous mango and sticky rice, everything in between at Soul Food Mahanakorn is delicious, well-prepared, and extremely clean-tasting. Favourite dishes are numerous: smoky eggplant with bacon, flank steak, Isaan sausage, and grilled chicken wings, among others. Plates are small, which allows for more variety and sharing. Good waitstaff and a location right next to the Asia Herb Society make for a very pleasant evening indeed.

1  Thank RebeccaLawrence
Reviewed November 29, 2012

Spent a lot of time to see that my condo was very close to this location. It's directly on Thonglor (soi 55) The map on tripadvisor is wrong. It's about 50 M away from thonglor BTS. (Exit 3).

This place is small but does take reservations so plan ahead accordingly.

The idea and work put in to this menu is superb. If it was well executed, I would easily have given it a 5. There is a good variety of traditional Thai food with a twist.

My wife and I ordered quite a bit from their menu.

To start we had the Goong (prawn or shrimp) Satay. Quite nice i must say. Normally I don't like shrimp on the BBQ but this had a pleasant smell and was cooked perfectly.

My wife ordered the chicken wings which were also quite nice. Sauce i liked the best was a fish sauce. Strong flavor (almost cheeselike)

Main dish we got was the tamarind pork ribs. Great idea but very poorly executed. For some reason, this was a deal breaker. They were over cooked and mushy. Slightly under seasoned.

Another dish we ordered on the fly was pan fried flowers with eggs. The menu idea was nice but it was very very bland. A little salt can do you wonders!

Before I told my wife what I thought about the restaurant, I asked her how many stars she would give this place for it's food only. She said exactly what I was thinking. 3 stars.

I can't emphasize enough how important it is to taste ALL food going out. If your cooks aren't passionate about their food then retrain them or boot them out.

My wife wanted me to give them two stars because she was not happy with the professionalism. After we sat down for 5 minutes the staff handed me a bill that was not mine. We didn't have any drinks or even order yet! Then after our meal, I gave them my credit card to pay the bill. Finally after 10 minutes they returned with another persons card and bill. These are rookie mistakes.

I would return again if I knew they fixed these issues.

1  Thank philthymcnasty
Reviewed November 28, 2012

I have been frequenting Soul Food since a month after it first opened. I live in Shenzhen, China but make it to BKK about four to five times a year. I have taken many other long time Shenzhen residents to this establishment and they continue to return on their own every time they are in BKK. The restaurant continues to improve. Proof of this is evident via the wine list. I love Bangkok Bast*rd (can't believe that word was censored) Cocktail but during my last visit three weeks ago, we ordered a wonderful Malbec and the rest of the list is extremely tempting. Great service, great food and it does not break the bank. Truly my favorite restaurant in BKK.

Reviewed November 23, 2012

I got this place recommended by a friend who lives in Bangkok and have to say I am grateful for this recommendation. This place has amazing food and great cocktails, my favorite is the “Bangkok B@st@rd”(Tripadvisor did not allow me to write it correctly) but be careful with the cocktails they are well done.
Some of the dishes are not authentically local but I like to see it as a “different take on Thai Food”. The service is good and the prices are OK.
Whenever I go to Bangkok this is definitively one of the “must visits” for me.