“lockers are not safe!”
Review of Baan Sabai

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bangkok
Baan Sabai
Ranked #720 of 1,211 Specialty Lodging in Bangkok
Bangkok, Thailand
“lockers are not safe!”
Reviewed April 3, 2013

So other than their hit and miss service with a smile their lockers that they advise guests to use are a joke. I had over $200 taken from my locker with in the past 3 days. They told me I was the only one with a key so how could it go missing. So they are telling me that they do not have spare keys when a guest looses theirs... I call bull.

They continued to tell me that I must have taken the money out and spent it on something and I don't remember. I know for a fact that money went missing and there is nothing I can do about it.

If you chose to stay here be careful with their locker system. I chose to use the lockers behind their desk thinking it was safer than the lockers in their lobby. Lesson learned. I should not have left $ in the safe in the first place I guess.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
6 Thank lyssablackman

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed March 20, 2013

It's a decent place with very reasonable prices. However, the single rooms are very, very small and windowless, so I always rent a double, even if I am solo. The rooms are immaculately clean and you can actually get a good night's sleep in any of them, unlike many guesthouses in that area, which are too close to bars with loud music that goes until 4:00 am. The only thing that bothered me was the lack of a blanket in the room, and the fact that I wasn't able to even purchase one at the guesthouse, or find one for sale anywhere in that area.

Room Tip: As I've said above, the single rooms are pretty grim--and not for the claustrophobic. The lack...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed March 11, 2013

For 500 Baht double room with bathroom (only cold water) and A/C - good value, clean rooms, really good place near Kao San, 15 minutes by walk to Grand Palace. NO WIFI, Deposit for the key 500 Baht, they don't accept USD, or EUR.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank D33xTH3xSW33T
Perth, Australia
Reviewed March 6, 2013

l made the mistake of using a safety deposit box inside the reception room two , metre's from where a receptionist was sitting 24 hours a day. l thought it would be safe there.The next day my money was gone. There is no camera's inside the reception room so it was only my word against there's . The manager just shrugged his shoulders and walked away and the police just told me that l should be more careful.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank 248Richard

Travelers are raving about these Bangkok hotels

Reviewed February 15, 2013

This is a very clean and basic Guest House which is situated, on the quieter Soi Rongmai, 5 minutes away from the ever famous party area of Khao San Road. It is also situated close the Boat pier (Pra Arthit) at the Chao Praya River and about 25 min walk to the Klong Boat Stop near the Golden Mountain Wat.
We were charged 550Bath for a double room with en-suite and air con, as the smaller single rooms were booked up. The room was basic but very clean and bigger than others that I’ve seen in the same price category. It had a window to the back, so it was not noisy at all. The cheaper Fan rooms that I saw had no windows and thinner walls. A bit less comfortable, however I think they are still a good backpacker’s option.
For an additional 10B per day there were lockers available at the reception to keep valuables.
They do NOT provide wifi in the guesthouse but internet access is available in the Travel Shop attached to the Guest House (40Bath per hour, if you walk a bit you will find cheaper places).
The Staff is a bit strange, the young guy who worked in the evening was always smiling and friendly the one how worked during the days was quite unfriendly at times (maybe due to the stress). I asked him to help out with one phone call for my next accommodation in case they don’t speak English and he denied. I heard people asking him for wifi and he asked back if they came to Bangkok to call their mum!. Kind of funny may be, however not the nicest welcome at a new place.
The restaurant that belongs to the guesthouse has good Set Menu dishes and cheap beer.
At the food stall right opposite the entrance of Baan Sabai you can get cheap drinks (fresh fruit shakes, especially the Mango Shake) and super tasty Thai food (such as Mango with Sticky rice). They also have a fantastic choice for breakfast, including fresh fruits with muesli.
If you don’t expect a five star hotel you will be happy at this place. It is in a very good location and (at least) feels very safe, since they always seem to have an eye on people walking in and out. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: The Air con rooms on the top floor have much more light.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gerard R
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 9, 2013

If you are looking for a basic hostel type B&B close to the action of Khao San Rd that's clean then this is the place. It just a street away from Khao San Rd on a quieter extension of the Khao San markets. It's still vibrant but the stalls are restaurants are arguably slightly better quality here as it's away from the main strip.

We had a superior room so had our own shower (with hot water for as long as we needed it) and air con. However the shared showers on every floor looked fine and I wouldn't have had a problem with them but it is always hard to tell how these things will pan out so we erred on the side of caution and got our own shower.

The rooms are really basic and don't have any furniture apart from the bed(s) but the sheets were clean so I was happy. If you want any home comforts then this is not the place for you but it is a good place to crash comfortably for some fun in Bangkok. It is cheap and you get what you pay for but if all you want is a place to shower and sleep then this is the place.

Some reviewers seem to have mentioned that the staff were not friendly. I found the guy at reception was on the ball and kept a watchful eye out. He always had our room key ready for us when he saw us approaching and he helped us with directions for the Pantip IT Centre. He wasn't overly friendly or homely but he got the job done and certainly wasn't rude.

There was no wi-fi but there was an internet cafe all but in the reception so it was not a problem. Khao San Rd was about a 5 - 10 minute walk but we were still in the middle of the action.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Palma de Mallorca, Spain
Reviewed January 9, 2013

We stayed at this place for 3 nights, the rooms were good, it was centrally located and the restaurant just in front was great and super cheap! The only negative was the staff, they were so extremely unfriendly :(

On the day of our departure we stored our luggage for 2hrs at 10 bht per bag. When we came back from a walk around the streets, we went back up for a quick shower because we were going to travel back home for almost 23 hours...While showering a cleaning lady starting banging on the door and screaming at me madly, telling me to get out of the shower and clean it. Confused i got out and went back downstairs where my friend was waiting. She told me that the front desk agent told her we have to pay 30bht each for showering, why didnt he tell us in advance??

Its a shame because everything else is good at this place

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank ConstantWanderlust
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bangkok
Taris Art Hotel Phrae
#429 of 650 in Bangkok
A&A Guest House
A&A Guest House
#142 of 650 in Bangkok

Been to Baan Sabai? Share your experiences!