“Excellent find and convienient location”

True Siam Phayathai Hotel
Ranked #356 of 891 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I stayed here on my last night in Bangkok and wanted to be as close as the airport train as possible for my morning flight the next day and it was perfect.

I stayed in various 4 & 5 star hotels in Bangkok on my three week visit to Thailand and True Siam rates very highly because given it's nice and affordable price range it offers some of the most helpful customer service I had in Thailand, has large, clean rooms with everything you need and is so conveniently located.

The hotel is a building block in a crowded street which means none of the rooms have views (many have internal balconies) but that is a common thing in Bangkok. The only hotels with nice views are the high rise buildings with the equivalent high prices.

What I like about the hotel is that although it is a similar build to many other Thai hotels (rooms with tiled floors etc) the effort to add some traditional Thai, Lanna decorations gives it a very welcoming appeal.

The staff were very friendly and helpful (something I learnt not to take for granted on my travels). They are able to help you organise lots of daytrips such as to the famous floating markets etc.

You will need to give a 1000 baht deposit in cash on arrival in case you use the minibar, but you are given a receipt and refunded the money quickly and easily on departure.

The rooms are extremely clean and have all the standard things you need:
- large new plasma screen TVs with mostly Thai but also some standard international channels like NHK World, BBC World etc;
- High speed WIFI (each room has a code provided on the bedside table);
- Minibar with two bottles of complimentary water and quite a large fridge to store everything in;
- Coffee/ Tea making facilities;
- Hairdryer;
- The showers are heated not by central heating units but by individual heating units which are common across SE asia. This was the only hotel on my travels which had them, but that also actually had proper hot water and high water pressure (big bonus points for this);
- Huge rooms and ample storage space including a safe;
- Smoking is not allowed (except on the balconies) which means fresh rooms for all guests.

The restaurant at the back of the hotel courtyard is lovely and the food was delicious. It's rare to get the best food in a hotel's own restaurant (unless its five star) so I usually try to find a restaurant outside, but this time I honestly had the best red curry I ever had.

There is also a bar outside in the courtyard to relax after a long day.

If you take the Phaya Thai line to Siam Centre (two stops) you will find all the big shopping malls such as the Discovery Centre, Paragon (for slightly posher shopping but you will find everything in one building, including a massive food court) and across the road are many smaller shops, mostly electrical stores and womens fashion but nice to walk around.

The Jim Thompson house is also nearby and is a must visit (get off at National Stadium or walk from Siam Centre).

I don't see how this hotel could possibly improve anything, for a three star hotel, it is pretty excellent.

TO/FROM BKK AIRPORT:
The hotel is only a 10 minute walk from Phaya Thai BTS station which means you only have to catch one train to/from the airport. The airport train operates between 6am to midnight.

There are two train options:
1) City Express to Phaya Thai which is a direct, no-stops service (hence also a nice and empty train) which takes 17 minutes. The only thing is that it doesn't run frequently check departure time before paying for your ticket.
2) City Line which is an all-stops service to Phaya Thai. This is much cheaper and runs more frequently which means it is a full train. Journey time around 30 minutes.

In either case, ask the staff at the window which train leaves for Phaya Thai first because they sell the tickets at different windows. I travelled to/from the airport about 4 times on my trip and found that it was often more convenient to take the City Line all stops service which would get me there first.

TO/FROM DON MUANG AIRPORT:
Unfortunately at the moment the easiest way to get there is by taxi. Lonely Planet mentions possible bus connections but given the taxi is only around 400 baht including tolls it doesn't seem worth the trouble. There is talk of extending the skytrains but at the moment they are not an option.

If you are coming FROM the airport, you will need to queue for Taxis and there is a counter where a staff member will ask you for your destination and give you a voucher to give to the taxi driver.

Many taxi drivers in Bangkok do not speak English, do not know where all the hotels are and do not have GPS so print out hotel directions in Thai and take their phone number in case the driver needs to call for help with directions. There are one or two road tolls which the passenger has to pay which are 45 or 50 baht each so have this cash handy.

From the hotel they can call a taxi and the journey is easier but give yourselves time because traffic in Bangkok is bad, particularly in peak hours. It should take around 40 minutes from the hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank MissNinja

Reviewed January 1, 2013

Stayed 3 nights in Deluxe room. Room are spacious, well designed and most important the room are well maintained and clean. Room come with King Size bed, with large wardrobe cabinet with safe, dressing table and 2 sofa seating. The room provided with fridge, microwave, washing sink and flat screen TV. Hotel's staffs are very friendly and helpful.
Location of the hotel is off main road but nearby BTS and Duty free shop which just 5 mins walking distance. reasonable breakfast buffet at 199 Baht. Great value and definitely will be a choice hotel for the next visit.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Flew in to the airport around 10pm. From what I had previously read, it is best to catch a taxi at the level 4 departure area. Having done my homework, the correct taxi fare should be 250-300 baht. I got a cab - and asked that he put the meter on. He indicated he had a meter and would do that and then proceeded to drive away (I was in the cab) - he was typing on his cell phone and had typed 600. I explained that I wanted the meter on and that his rate was too high. He than continued driving out of the airport and typed on his cell phone 500. I said no and said to take me back to the airport, which to my surprise, he did. I hopped out and went to the next cab - he also was reluctant to use his meter but said 300 baht. I said let's go. Got to the hotel in about 25 minutes and gave him a nice tip of 20 baht. I stayed at the True Siam for 10 days. When I returned to the airport, I walked about a 1/4 mile from the True Siam and boarded the elevated airport train at Playa Thai and took the express for 90 baht. It took 17 minutes and was relaxful.

The hotel is close to most everything since their are several BTS Skytrain stations near-by. The food at the restaurant is good. I am mostly Vegetarian, so I checked out the food on the buffet table. To my pleasure, I found most things were labled as to what they were. They also have a nice evening menu and it comes in handy if you are tired from touring all day and want something relaxing and inexpensive and tasty.

The hotel has wi-fi and it worked. I was able to bring my laptop and stay connected with my office and clients. Skype worked well and is very inexpensive for making calls back home. The room is equipped with a water warmer that is perfect for making tea or coffee (Use bottled water and play safe). The room also has a small Frig and small freezer which helps out if you wish to buy yogurt (a mainstay when I travel to stay healthy) or a beer or something else.

The bathroom is small and I didn't find an AC outlet. Not much room to put anything. The Air Conditioning worked well but did have a whistle noise that I quieted down with some tape and a rubber band. All and all I would rate the hotel a 4 based on price, convenience, friendliness and cleanliness and having a restaurant available on premises.

I did not eat the street food but did see a lot of tourists doing so. If you do, I would suggest going to places that have a lot of business to play it safe. Thais seem to eat constantly and there are food stalls every 50 to 100 feet on the streets.

I stayed in Bangkok during January. This appears to be the ideal time of year to be there. The weather is not too hot and the mosquito's are mostly absent (I think I spotted only 3). I carried deet but only used it occasionally. Temperatures were in the 72-82 degree range (farenheit). About 4 days the skys were overcast. Very pleasant.

I spent a day learning the BTS Skytrain. It takes you almost everywhere. I would purchase the daily pass for 120 baht. It is almost always cheaper and you do not need to be reaching for change constantly. The skytrain runs till midnight.

I would also suggest purchasing the "Groovy Map" of Bangkok - its easy to carry and has good maps and suggestions and it is plastic laminated. I also used the Rough Guide for Bangkok but left it in the hotel room as a reference since I preferred not carring it around. The front desk at the hotel can also be of help. Most general questions they can answer. But the more complex the question - the more of a language barrier will present itself. There are also Tourist Police that speak English and can be of help. Unfortunately, there are not enough of them. Streets can be confusing since there are many streets converging at odd angles. I Just purchased the I-Phone 5 with the new Google Maps and was happy to see that Bangkok was there. This should help to make it a little easier. to navigate in the future.

Would recommend taking a trip to the Central Pier to board the River boats. Unless your planning on using the boats a lot, I would buy single tickets. To reach the Pier, go from Playa Station to Siam Station to Saphan Taksin. Also would suggest going thru ChinaTown. You can disembark from the river boat and walk up.

As far as tours:

a must is the Temple/city tour since you will see a lot and be expedited around. The tour itself is a "C".

The Pattaya by Boat is a total waste. A solid "F". You are bussed to Pattaya and then carted off to a tourist island for an afternoon.

Tour to the old Capital - Ayutthaya and Return by Boat Best tour that I was on - takes all day -
A+

Canal Tour and Fruit Tasting (booked thru hotel) - tour was expensive - half of the tour was cancelled because of the flooding in December of 2011. The tour was still on a boat. I would give it another chance. For now it is a "C" Interesting fruit.

Jim Thompson House - Very worthwhile and you can do it yourself - Just ride the Skytrain. Nice restaurants on the premises - A+

Chatuchak Weekend Market - Again something that you can do yourself - catch the Skytrain and try to arrive early. If you like shopping you can spend a day here. I think FedX will ship anything back to the states for $2 a kilo (2.2 lbs). This is the only place that I found that the prices were low enough to cause me to want to buy. A+

Lots of other places to see. - lots and lots of Buddhists temples. I plan on going back. Prices here may be too low to stay at home.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Stayed in the true siam hotels for 2 nights, the hotel itself is hidden in a side street away which is great for a quiet night. The reception staff are very helpful, the rooms are big bright and airy with balcony, safe, cable, shower comfy big bed and hairdryer everything that you need. Breakfast wasnt part of our package so i cant comment. The mbk centre is 100/200 bht in a tuk tuk and kho san road 200 baht ideal location. As others have said taxi men find it hard find but take a business card or have address at hand. I Would recommend this hotel to family and friends

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 3, 2012 via mobile

Have stayed here twice now, the staff are very friendly and always happy to help you. The rooms are all very clean and modern, cable tv, excellent air con. Great showers and bathroom.

The one downside is NO taxi drivers know where it is! Prob best to take a hotel card from reception!

Great restaurant at the hotel and breakfast was included!

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Very good location, very near Airport Link which BTS Phaya Thai. If you try the opposite road, on 5 minutes walk, you will find King Komplex Duty free, BTS Victory and there's mall name Century Movie Plaza. So you can watch the last show after around Bangkok and before back to Hotel. The most suprise thing when you whatch movie at Bangkok, before the movie start you should stand up to honor the king and his family were presented at screen. And if you're KPop lover, there's small booth sold many fendom.
The staff are friendly and helpfull. They help you to find a place and write the name or clue with Thai handwriting so the local people or taxi driver know what you're looking for.
Little bit advise, when you search this hotel for the first time with taxi from airport or walking from BTS Phayai Thai, you better prepare the hotel name and the address in Thai handwriting because our taxi drivers difficult to find even the police who we ask on the road need his friend's help to read Latin/english handwriting.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 13, 2012

I was able to book this hotel a month before our intended trip and was able to enjoy their early bird promo. We decided not the avail their promo of the one with breakfast since we had plans to visit ayutthaya (we took the mini-vans at the Victory Monument) early in the morning on the 2nd day and we have an early flight on our last day and breakfast is suppose to be served at around 6:30AM until 10AM. In anycase, we enjoyed a huge savings in our hotel fees.

It is quite near the phaya thai airport link (around 10 -20 mins walk depending on how fast you walk and how big your luggage). This is a plus factor for us since we used the airport link. Also, since this hotel is walkable into two BTS stations (Phaya Thai and Victory Monument) it made our travel to different places very convenient. It actually helped me in planning our itinerary.

Be advised that the hotel requires a THB 1,000.00 as a deposit (it will be refund on the last day). Check in and check out is a breeze. Took no more than 5 minutes.

Our room is spacious and almost have complete toileries (towels, soap, bath gel, shampoo --- no toothbrush and toothpaste though). The TV is big but there is not much choice in the cable channels since about 90% of them are in Thai. Not much of view with regard to the balcony but the hotel itself is beautiful with its wooden and thai touch.

Can't comment about the breakfast since we did not avail it. We, however, took advantage of the coffee maker and free sachets of coffee, creamer, sugar, mineral water. We just decided to buy our breakfast the night before, ate our breakfast and around 6AM we were out of our hotel for our trip.

They have a computer with internet connection in the reception area and you can use it for free. We find this a plus factor for us since we did not bring any gadgets with us (except our camera and cellphones). We were able to chat with our families before we retire for the night. We had been lucky during our since no one seems to be using it so we have no competition with our guests with its usage.

An advise - from Siam City Hotel (Sukosol) the road is very narrow. Hence, if there is a car that is passing through you will have very little space to walk into. In our experience, the drivers who passed on that narrow street for some reason do not how to use the horn so be on a constant lookout. We often found ourselves looking back and their was a car right behind us.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family