“Great rooms, great staff- need more dining options”

Hansar Bangkok Hotel
Ranked #41 of 868 Hotels in Bangkok
New Delhi, India
“Great rooms, great staff- need more dining options”
Reviewed March 11, 2011

They upgraded us to their Vertigo Suite- the one which appears in their website.
Amazing rooms, beautifully done.
For this rate- its hard to find a better suite.
The staff are really friendly. The location is really good- quiet, but only a couple of hundred meters away from the hustle bustle of the Ratchaprasong intersection- so you are never far away from the action.
The staff was very helpful and friendly- did everything to make us comfortable.
Overall incomparable value for money.
Improvement opportunities :
a) Breakfast- needs more variety. There just aren't enough options- got boring after the 2nd day. Compare to a Westin/Sheraton- this is lacking
b) Dining options- Outside/In room - very limited menu- the coffee shop has only limited options.The options on the dining menu should be longer than the wine list. The only other dining option is too European. This place desperately needs a good Asian restaurant
Word of advice- Pricing: At this price- it's a steal- but if the prices go up- I think it will be a challenge for Hansar to compete- the other hotels in Bangkok - with better dining options/locations will then be my first preference.So it needs to figure out how it can maintain this position - at a higher price- really needs to up its value proposition- get better dining, fitness facilities etc. Otherwise it would be like the many suite hotels in Bangkok.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (400)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Paris, France
Reviewed March 10, 2011

We have been staying in the Hansar for 3 nights in February 2011. Having booked a studio, we were upgraded to a very large suite with a sort of interior garden, very nice. The location is good, very close to a train station, anyway the taxis are very cheap in Bangkok. The desk staff and concierge were very helpful too. We have not tested the French restaurant but the outside restaurant is very nice. Great hotel !

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 9, 2011

Loved the Hansar

Value: Excellent for three people staying in a 77sqm Edge Suite
Rooms: Awesome - Well designed, clean, relaxing - free minibar is a nice touch
Location: Good - short walk to Skytrain or Erawan Shrine (Sukhumvit Rd)
Cleanliness: Perfect - no stone unturned
Service: Immaculate - Staff friendly and attentive, yet unobtrusive
Sleep quality: Bed was particularly comfortable, daughter loved the day bed

Best thing was the atmosphere - understated luxury without the feel (and noise) of being in a large hotel. Felt at home after one day and was sad to leave after five days.
Highly recommended.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Perth, Australia
Reviewed March 8, 2011

My wife and I were spending the last nights of our honeymoon at this hotel and after having arrived at Hansar Bangkok from Hansar Samui, we had very high expectations. I'm pleased to report that our expectations were truly exceeded in every way possible during our recent 3 night stay.
We arrived at the hotel to a personal greeting by Mr. Jeerasak, the Hansar Bangkok Mgr.
Although we had booked an 'edge' suite, Mr Jeerasak immediately informed my wife and I that he had arranged an upgrade for us to the 'vertigo' suite.

We were impressed by the quality of the fixtures and fittings in our room and if you're after that 'wow' factor, do yourself a favour and book one of their vertigo suites.
The spacious and luxurious rooms with those super comfy Hansar beds (same as in Samui) together with a maginificently designed layout, will ensure a great nights sleep and plenty of room for the times you're not in bed. We had great views over the Royal Bangkok Sports Club.

This trendy, upmarket hotel is pretty much brand new, so as you would expect, everything works well and we were happy with room 1111. We really loved the highly delectable surprises that came at turn down each evening and the constant supply of fresh red roses for my wife.

The hotels main restaurant Eve, provided my wife and I with what we believe to be the best meal on our near 3 week trip (and we ate at plenty of nice restaurants over that time).
The prices are comparative to higher end western eateries but in return, you get a dining experience, not just a meal. The service, food, mood and setting were amazing and a must try, even if you don't stay at this hotel.

The hotels staff are all hand picked for their ability to provide only the highest levels of service and boy does it show! That aspect is what sets this hotel apart from the many other quality choices nearby.

The in room mini bar was complimentary and restocked every day.

The pool on the 8th floor is lovely and a perfect refreshing escape from the heat and humidity of Bangkok.

My wife made good use of the hotels Luxsa spa, as they presently have a promotion of 40% off spa treatments.
As I said to my wife, 'that's only 60% shy of being free...go for it"
The treatments and massages were all of a high standard and my wife enjoyed them very much.

And just as if we hadn't already had enough nice surprises during our stay, there was still more, even as were departing the hotel for the airport at 8.30pm last Friday evening. Again Mr. Jeerasak made himself available to personally farewell us and wish us a nice flight home and he had Supit the hotel manager of Hansar Samui on his mobile phone waiting to say his final goodbyes to us as well. A really special touch.

Finally, from someone who has been to Bangkok many, many times both for business and leisure purposes and having been fortunate to have stayed in many of the top hotels, I say this. If you are looking for a luxuriously appointed, well managed boutique style 5 star hotel, only a stones throw away from Rachadamri BTS station (which affords easy access to the most popular parts of the Bangkok bypassing the road traffic), you would be doing yourself a disservice if Hansar Bangkok was not near the top of your list. A terrific, highly recommended Bangkok hotel deserving of it's no.1 ranking. Without doubt, Hansar Bangkok is our new second home and we look forward to retuning again.

1 Thank fresh_prince_WA
Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed March 8, 2011

This was the second time we stayed at this hotel. The location of the hotel was beautiful and we loved the quiet and relaxing I did not think we could find better hotel staff anywhere- helpful and attentive without being intrusive. All of the meals we had were excellent, truly some of the best food we've had anywhere. Stay here we feel pleasant and we will come back next year.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
new york
Reviewed March 7, 2011

Hotel early -march still in soft opening- so business center- a few restaurants- not open. I rated 16 Bangkok 4/5 star hotels last year- so where to put this one?
\
Really the only negative is location- in one of the nicest residential areas of BKK- but you will need to take the nearby sky train to anything but 7/11

I am used to great service in Thailand- but the staff here- especially the girls at main desk are exceptional-
\
Pool- narrow and long was crystal clear- the gym small but sufficient- breakfast tasty with eggs and bacon cooked to order- no exec lounge. Rooms are suites.

I would rate it fourth behind the much larger Shangri-La, Sheraton Sukumvit, and JW Marriott- but it is cheaper- if they hold prices- this joint could really win your heart. as it did mine.

1 Thank FrustratedTravelor
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed March 7, 2011

I was quite surprised when I read that Hansar had shot up to the top of tripadvisor's list; for a hotel so new, that would really require superlative reviews all around. So with that in mind and the very good Opening Rate currently on offer, I booked myself 5 nights.

The location is quite central; as mentioned in previous reviews, it is central enough for shopping and the Skytrain. However there are no restaurants or cafes around except for the htoel's own and a rather sad Italian restaurant across the street. You'd have to make it to the malls to get a bite; no big street markets/restaurants since this seems to be quite a posh neighborhood. The skytrain station Rajdamri is often quiet and deserted, one stop away from the teeming Sala Daeng and Siam.

My check in was not as smooth as I had expected. For starters, I arrived at 33-pm and still the room was not ready despite a 20minute wait. The room I was shown to was spacious, bright and airy--spanking new, great free wifi reception. I had mentioned in my requests form that I preferred chocolates to a fruit basket--this has often been a benchmark for 5-star accomodations for me--voila! They got it right! Delayed check in smoothed over.

One more thing about arriving in the hotel--if you take a taxi from the airport, make sure you take note of the Soi name, as the hotel is not exactly on Rajdamri as it says in the hotel website. It is on Soi Mahatlek Luang 2. A better way to tell your taxi driver is "behind the 4 seasons" although I'm not sure what the word for behind in Thai is.

The swimming pool is gorgeous but can feel small when there are more than 5 guests around. The gym is flawless, open and spacious. I tried the room service and the food came promptly, warm and delicious. The spa is excellent value--but mostly because they are currently offering a 40% off their regular rates. As such, it was a steal. But once the rates become regular, I would have to think twice about it. The massage was masterful, relaxing and certainly worthy of Thai excellence I have come to expect in spas.

A note about noise--the hallways are un-airconditioned and carpet-less. They are breezy and clean, although the amount of concrete makes for a lot of reverb, both with closing doors and passing conversation/laughter. Yes, you can hear the noise sometimes from your room but it wasn't overly bad.

A few minor gripes that make me say the hotel has made an excellent start and yet is not overly excellent QUITE YET. The hotel mini bar was never replenished the entire 5 days I was there. Neither were the shower gel containers (I was on my last evening already wet in the shower when no shower gel was left in the pump-out jar). Hotel breakfasts were very warm and hospitable; but for bacon, eggs, sausages--they are cooked upon order. So if you do want that second round, you'd have to order and wait again. Very few Asian offerings at breakfast--two dishes in fact, compared to the Japanese and Thai sections in other 5stars. No egg station and since you have to order each round, there tends to be a few mistranslations along the way. Add the fact that you feel like a glutton if you order that second round--as compared to plucking it out yourself. Forget about looking for oatmeal, honey, french toast or poached eggs. ;-)

The concierge by the front door is a cheerful, helpful man and his energy is almost too much. Still he makes for quite the concierge with excellent suggestions and a pert and perky bevy of a support team. The front desk is manned by rather chilly young ladies who have yet to master their craft and seem very afraid to waylay their way into their accounting. No thank you, not happy trip when I settled my account. Just a curt nod, they passed the envelope to me and that was that.

So would I stay here again? Bangkok has such a WEALTH of hotel offerings, all vying for your patronage. I would go again if the rates were good--but given how these hotels have a tendency to outdo each other, I may look elsewhere first before settling in again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo