“Lovely hotel but not sure if it is 5*” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hansar Bangkok Hotel

Hansar Bangkok Hotel
Ranked #36 of 849 Hotels in Bangkok
niamh73
“Lovely hotel but not sure if it is 5*”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

We liked this hotel but we weren't sure if it was a 5* standard, we arrived on a very early flight and when we were brought to the hotel our room wasn't ready, we thought the fact they knew we would be arriving early they could accommodate this but no so we were guided to the outdoor pool area where we could take a swim, the pool was very cold! We rested on the loungers until the time they told us the room would be ready, when the time came we arrived back to the reception but unfortunately the room still wasn't ready, we went to the restaurant for a coffee to pass the time. When we finally got to the room, we thought it was lovely, very clean but not sure if it is 5* though. The breakfast was lovely in the mornings, we didn't eat lunch or dinner there. The minibar was complimentary which was nice as the other hotels we stayed in Thailand we had to pay, only thing free in those hotels was water. The location is very good with easy access to a shopping mall and next to the train line too. The staff were very helpful too.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank niamh73

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (392)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012 via mobile

Only stayed here two nights last week but the service and standard was very high quality.
Room standards excellent, free mini bar and fantastic made service.
Location is perfect for exploring the city as sky train station is so close.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
london
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

So, if you read my other review of the Fishermans Resort you will see that we travelled from there to the Hansar in Bangkok on our way home and were really looking forward to 3 nights of absolute luxury and relaxation prior to flying back to London.

The Hansar says 'Welcome to Hansar Bangkok, and unrivaled luxury experience just steps away from the heart of Bangkok'. Well it certainly isnt that for sure.

The hotel is really impressive to look at, the layout different to other high end establishments and it was for that reasonm again after researching for a couple of months that we chose this hotel.

The reality is somewhat different. There was confusion with our booking that resulted in us getting upgraded from the entry Studio suite to the highest standard of suite the Vertigo. The website photos look really lovely with bed into bath into shower and toilet as a walkthrough space divided with big sliding wooden doors.

Room 1
The photos of the dust and debris around the window bays speaks for itself.

Room 2
The aforementioned sliding doors did not colse (sould not be used) which meant if one of you was using the toilet (thats in a clear glass box) the other one is staring straight at you form the bed. As close as we are, my partner and I didnt like this.

Room 3
The air conditioning did not work and jammed on at 25 degree heating in a city where a/c is a must. The biggest problem was that when we complained to the Duty Manager at 11pm (who was about 17) he said he couldnt do anything about it as he was not authorised to do so. Which meant we had to wait until the next day to speak to a proper manager.

I didnt sleep all night because of this.

I arranged a meeting the following morning with the 2 Senior Managers and appreciate their candid explanations and honesty in discussing these issues though i wont reference anything we discussed because this would unfairly disadvantage them.

Apart from the service the real issue is the maintenance of the very highly specificed architectural detail. It is clear than not enough money has been put into this in a hotel that is only 2 years old. With doors jamming, ac not working and walls and corridors battered and bashed. This seems like a constant in so called luxury Thai hotels.

The room service food whilst excellent didnt even turn up on one evening, the next it was really late and over done.

The Serenity massages we both had were absolutely fantastic and a denfinate must if you choose to stay here.

The beds and pillows are incredibly comfortable.

The pool and jacuzzi were also fantastic.

So in short, the hotel lets itself down with maintenance & service. The positivies are design, food and facilities.

One very positive thing I absolutley must mention. As this trip was for my 40th brithday I had brough a Vintage bottle of Veuve Cliqout with me and asked the hote if there was something they could do in the roof/ helipad etc where my partner and I could drink this at sunset. This they absolutely excelled at by clearing the roof function floor (the whole lot), setting up a couple of big armchairs over the race course, flowers, lots of candles and then 2 members of staff to serve and host the champage. Unbelievable and something we will always remember and are very grateful for.

WIthout this the hotel would be just another run of the mill city break.

I hope the management will see fit to post a response.

Room Tip: only pay for the entry level Studio suite. If there are any problems then insist you are upgraded. I...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank mansmanreality
Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

I recently stayed at the St Regis (diagonally opposite Hansar Hotel), and would rate this hotel higher than St Regis, because I feel that it provides better value for money.

Areas I would rate similar between the 2 hotels are:
1) Customer Service - both have very helpful and friendly staff (event hough I did have a little hiccup at St Regis, but that is another story, which I don't think was a norm for them)
2) "Newness" of hotel - both hotels looks very new, modern and well maintained
3) Comfort level of the bed
4) the swimming pool facility (Hansar's pool is longer, but St Regis' pool has more privacy)

Hansar wins in terms of:
1) room size (I stayed at the Urban Suite, which was quite large, and comes with 2 TV)
2) free mini bar (I don't think I got that at St Regis)
3) breakfast quality
4) check-in experience - even though the check-in process was very long (I think about 20 min., for 3 rooms), my friends and I were referred to the nearby check-in lounge and enjoyed our refreshing juice, while the Room Director ran around with the procedural work
5) pricing

St Regis wins in terms of:
1) view from my room - my room at Hansar directly faces another apartment block, so I had to draw my window ALL THE TIME
2) quality of products & finishes in the room - Hansar's deco is modern & contemporary, while St Regis' style is regal & opulent
3) Hotel location (both hotels are located almost just opposite each other), but St Regis has a slight edge here as it has a direct skybridge link to the BTS station (which comes in handy during rainy days)
4) evening turn-down service (no such service provided at Hansar)

Do take note though that Hansar hotel's room design is not very suitable for non-couple. The bathroom lacks privacy.

The shower/bathroom, WC & Wardrobe area are all separated only by glass doors, this design is not very convenient if you are sharing the room with a friend - e.g. if 1 person is taking a shower, the other person can't even change her clothes!

Overall, I think this is a very good value hotel. If only I had gotten a room with better view / more privacy.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing the opposite building.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Stayoshi
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

Read the review from trip advisor. Booked 3 Nights at this hotel. Very good location. Found in between Four Season and St Regis and very near BTS. 5Stars for location as it is walking distance to Central World, Erawan etc. Big and cosy room as reported so no complaint. I'm quite satisfied with the breakfast as well. I agreed with some of the earlier reviews that this hotel is certainly not kids friendly. It stated clearly in the Guest Directory as follow: "The housekeeping department offers a full range of amenities for babies and children. Baby toiletries, bottle warmer or steriliser, lotion or blanket". When I asked for it, they say it is not available. Only baby cot and blanket. No toiletries, nothing. It is acceptable if you don't provide. But if you put it in writting that you are providing, you should make it available. Overall, everybody is friendly except the phone operator which always sounded very impatient, althought not impolite, but not very friendly.
So in my opinion, for this price, room for improvement.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank PPKING2012
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

Hansar Bangkok is just perfect :
- Excellent location : few minutes from BTS station and Siam square
- Outstanding rooms : huge room, big bathroom, nice view of swimming pool
- Beautiful grounds : modern hotel, beautiful design. It's an amazing experience to have a swim in the pool and jacuzzi, situated on the eight floor, which offers very nice views
- Exceptional staff : very friendly, welcoming and attentive

Recommended without hesitation!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Geelong, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

After looking at a lot of places on tripadvisor, we chose to stay at the Hansar. It was a perfect choise for us. We stayed here for a 3 night stop over in Bangkok, before heading to Koh Samui. It is close to some large shopping malls and at the end of the street is the sky train, which gave us very easy access to the main tourist attractions. The staff at the hotel are very friendly and you are always greeted with a smile.The rooms are big and well furnished, giving you a nice place to relax after the hustle and bustle of Bangkok :) After the first day the staff at the pool knew where we wanted to sit and what drinks we would like. The service, food and location were all perfect and I would highly recomend this hotel!! we look forward to our next stay here.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple