“Exceptional Rooms, Location and Service, but a few wrinkles that need attention”

Hansar Bangkok Hotel
Ranked #41 of 859 Hotels in Bangkok
Sydney
Reviewed April 3, 2011

Stayed at the Hansar for 5 nights in late February in one of the mid-range suites, the Edge Suite. Even though it was 'only' mid-range, it was exceptional with more than enough room for a couple with a large seperate bathroom, bedroom, seperate lounge/office again, daybed and windows and then the beautiful internal garden wall feature. The design and size of the room would be hard to match.

Getting there was a little difficult as the taxi driver did not know where it was and is tucked away in a little sidestreet, so ask for the back of the Four Seasons hotel.

The driveway and reception staff are tripping over themselves with eagerness to greet you and pounce upon any request you may have. 5 Star.

I got an upgrade to the Edge Suite as a part of my package. Again 5 star.

Had a go at the Hotel Spa, thought the prices were slightly $$$ for Bangkok, but when the bill arrived I see I got a promotional 40% off. 5 star again and I was still happy.

Breakfast was included in the rate and the buffet each morning was excellent with an abundance of staff to pounce on you for any wish that you may have and their trademark sawadeecup.

The only things I could really fault were the little things in the room that you expect of a Hotel as opposed to a nice apartment. For example in the room I had, there was no hotel directory with room service menu, which I thought was very odd and put it down to opening hiccups. Nothing got added each day the room was serviced, although they delivered a room service menu to the room.

The room had a huge bath, but no bathsalts to be seen. This is the difference between a 5 star and a 4 star hotel.

No mini-bar! I was hanging out for a few snacks on the first night, chips, chocolate bar, that sort of thing. Couldnt imagine a 5 star hotel with no snacks.

Overall it still got 5 stars and streaked ahead with the quality and size of the room, service and location.

Room Tip: Sweet talk the girls on the reception desk.
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (395)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Guelph, Canada
Reviewed April 2, 2011

We stayed at the Hansar Bangkok as our last stop of our month long honeymoon, and we are most definitely glad we did! It was absolutely the best way to end our trip.
We were upgraded from a Studio Suite to an Urban Suite. It was by far the most beautiful room either of us has ever stayed in. The live garden wall was so pretty and gave such a unique touch to the room. The bathroom was HUGE – and included a separate soaker tub, which came in handy for a night of relaxation.
On our first night, we received a giant brownie, basket of roses and the sweetest note from the Housekeeping staff, welcoming us to the hotel and wishing us a Happy Honeymoon.
We found all of the staff to be very friendly and eager to help with anything that we needed. In fact, we had a bit of a mishap in Bangkok and were involved in a scam (which was completely at our own fault). Once we realized what had happened, we spoke to Tukki at the reception desk who provided us with some comfort in knowing that the hotel would help us look into this first thing in the morning (it was late in the evening at this point in time). She responsibly took down all of our information and photocopied documents that would be required to fill the morning staff. First thing in the morning, we went back down to reception and Tukki’s daytime replacement, Tom, was already well informed with our situation. He assured us that they would help as much as they could to help us out. After breakfast, my husband was escorted with the Hansar Bangkok’s head of security, Dao to sort out the mess that we had gotten ourselves into.
We would particularly like to thank Tukki, Tom and Dao for helping us feel at ease, and assisting us through a difficult mistake we had made during our visit.
It is very evident that the Hansar Bangkok has done a fantastic job in hand selecting all of their employees and that those employees stay true to what the Hansar prides itself on - Thai Hospitality!

Food:
Breakfast Buffet
The breakfast buffet had a great selection of fresh fruit, custom ordered eggs, freshly squeezed juices, pastries, cheese – the list goes on and on. It was a great way to get the day started.
Eve Restaurant:
In the evening, the breakfast buffet area becomes a high end restaurant with gourmet dishes. The prices were high for Thai standards, however, considering the caliber of the hotel (and the gourmet food!!) the prices were VERY reasonable.
Café Boca:
We had lunch here one day during our stay. The food was fresh and delicious and offered both western and Thai fare.

Luxsa Spa:
We decided to indulge in the spa on our last evening. We were certainly glad we did. We both received a fantastic, professional Thai Massage. The week we were at the Hansar, they had a 40% off promotion, with prices at about 1200BHT for an hour. Again, this may appear pricey for Thai standards (where you can get a massage on the street for 200BHT for an hour) but this was a PROFESSIONAL SPA fully equipped with ambience and trained professionals (not just someone claiming to be a thai masseuse…) We were certainly glad we went – as it was the BEST massage we had on our entire month long trip

Concierge:
The concierge was very helpful – always running to open doors, welcoming us and ensuring we got taxis and engaging in conversation with us. In particular we wanted to mention Oh and Bond, as they particularly stuck out in our mind as delivering fabulous service and really showing us that Thai Hospitality is what the Hansar Bangkok thrived on.

Overall we had a fabulous experience. If anyone has anything negative to say about the Hansar, then they should return to the Palace that they came from, because this place was hands down fabulous!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed March 30, 2011

I have stayed at several hotels in Bangkok, but I'd say that it is hard to beat the Hansar in terms of value at the moment.

Granted, the service was at times a little uneven. The staff has its heart in the right place though, and for what you pay, there just is no better combination of location and quality.

The rooms are big, modern and extremely well appointed. Definite bonus points for the 50 inch flatscreen tv. I am already looking forward to return to Hansar.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Bradenton, Florida
Reviewed March 27, 2011

The location is good --- near the BTS and several major shopping centers. The building is new and modern. The room is large, clean and bright,and well appointed, with a balcony and excellent view.
Service is good, with a cheerful and friendly smile.
The breakfast is substantial with a good selection, and the staff is attentive, with quick service.
This hotel is suited for the business traveller, and adults with better things to do than laze around a pool.
Overall, definitely would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
San Francisco
Reviewed March 27, 2011

Hansar is the number one hotel in Bangkok (based on Trip Advisor reviews)? My 6 night stay made this very hard to believe. The problems began before I arrived as it took 4 email messages before I got a reply about a very simple request. The other lowlights:

-- My reservation was not in order when I arrived (they had me down for 2 nights instead of 6).

-- It took 2 calls and 30 minutes to get my luggage delivered to the room. It took another 3 calls and over an hour to get my new room key (so I wouldn't be locked out after 2 nights).

-- Had to move to another room as the water in the shower was either hot or cold but nothing in between. What really ticked me off was the duty manager admitting that they already knew about this problem with some of the top floor rooms.

-- The next room, an Edge Suite, was very nicely designed but the door lock broke down the next day, I was locked out for 2 hours and it required an outside service to come and fix it (the next day).

-- There was no service directory in the room and, because the level of English is so poor among the staff, even simple requests were frustrating (eg, most room service orders had something wrong or missing with them upon delivery). Speaking of room service, be warned that portions sizes are all snack-size (very small) and nothing was memorable taste-wise.

-- Turndown service is not a given as they showed up on only 3 of the 6 nights. On one night I called them to come and provide this service, it took more than 30 minutes for housekeeping to arrive and they didn't replace the used towels.

-- The hotel is still relatively new and I was subject to drilling and hammering on 2 afternoons (with no notice that it was going to take place).

-- There is no fire escape plan on the back of the room door. I don't live in fear of this but in a high-rise building I think this should be a given.

Some things I did like -- as mentioned, the Edge Suite is nicely designed (lots of work space, comfortable bed, spacious bathroom); the gym is large and quiet though with minimal weight machines; hotel location is good if you want to be on Rajdamri Road; complimentary internet access.

A great-looking hotel in a good location but, as it has so many teething problems and such poor service standards, I suggest choosing other accommodations (at least until they have more time to get their act together).

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
556 Thank Travel Richly
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 27, 2011

We always stay at the Lebua when we go to Bangkok, but fancied a change and read such great reviews of this hotel we decided we had to check it out!

I had such high expectations of this hotel because of the other reviews, but it didn't quite meet them.

Summarise the pros & cons:

Pros
> Beautiful building, design and architecture. It really is stunning, as are the suites, with every amenity imaginable provided [sellotape, scissors, torch, mouthwash etc etc]
> Bed is the most comfortable one i've slept in by far
> Concierge guys were super helpful and friendly
> Gym has brand new equipment with personal tv screens and plenty of cardio machines. Really liked that they provided headphone sets as well as the usual water and towels
> They gave us a late check out until 4pm as our flight was late in the evening
> Location - you're less than 5 mins from the BTS and so convenient for Siam Paragon shopping centre [1 stop on BTS or 15min easy walk]

Cons
> Service was really patchy.
Reception staff - They didn't have our room reservation, and we were sat by reception for about 40mins until they informed us that we wouldn't be able to check in until 6pm [we arrived at 4pm] They just offered us a cold drink or a coffee for the inconvenience [but did upgrade us to a better room].
Breakfast staff - Took ages to get coffee, then an hot breakfast order. First request for a refill coffee ignored, 2nd provided us with lukewarm pots. Clearing of plates really slow - which is not ideal on a buffet.
> Pool is just a lap pool, you won't get any sun, so its more for exercise rather than 'lounging'
> My other half complained about the gym equipment not having enough heavy free weights

Overall I personally think it's better suited to business travellers, but has amazing potential once its sorted out it's initial 'teething' issues

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 25, 2011

Had a two night stay here in late February, and was able to book a very special intro rate of about 3,500 THB/nt.

As the hotel is very new, you definitely need to help out the taxi driver to find the place. First impressions were a bit dodgy, as the hotel is located down a dark alley behind the Four Seasons. I will mention that I never felt unsafe walking to or from the hotel at any time of the day.

We were upgraded to one of the rooms with the funky plants on the wall, which was kind of neat. There was a daybed, separate living/sleeping areas, and a well appointed bathroom. We overlooked the swimming pool, about 7-8 floors up.

The bed, and sleeping in general, was very comfortable - with the powerful air conditioning keeping the muggy Bangkok weather at bay. I was a bit surprised to see that the hotel hallways are actually outside; I'm not sure how that's going to work during the wet season, and they'll have to replace some of that carpet pretty quickly.

This hotel opened late last year, but I felt that the room was already starting to look very worn - I'm surprised at what appears to be the low level of workmanship on some of the finishings. The walk in shower was nice, but the water pooled away from the drain - something that shouldn't happen in such a newly built hotel.

Breakfast was ample for our needs, with a nice spread of fruit and made-to-order options from the open kitchen.

The staff were exceptional; very accommodating and helpful - very Thai.

We used the pool/gymnasium area and it was quite pleasant, the pool is large enough to do some good lap swimming (felt like 25M, maybe longer), and the gym equipment was, unsurprisingly, new and in good working order. The lone attendant made sure we had water and towels.

Would I stay here again? I would probably give it another try if I could find a similar rate. I like the location and the overall vibe of the place.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple