“great value. great location. ice cold air conditioning!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of MHC-Guesthouse

MHC-Guesthouse
Ranked #165 of 849 Hotels in Bangkok
Dunedin, Florida
“great value. great location. ice cold air conditioning!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

I think this hotel is an amazing value and I do not understand the few negative reviews I have read here. The price can not be beat and the owner and staff go out of their way to help in any way they can. The location is great! Close to many good restaurants and bars and the sky train is 2 mins away. I have stayed elsewhere in Bangkok including YOLO and for my money nothing beats MHC. The review that says the laundry service is expensive is foolish. Most hotels charge by the item and the overall cost is not out of line. MHC is the best deal in Bangkok and the location is ideal. I will be back! My sincere thanks to Max and staff for making my stay hassle free.

Room Tip: If you want something special just ask. The owner and his excellent staff will be happy to help you.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank shecky_stardust

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Indonesian first
  • Vietnamese first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights in a single room (come with own bathroom). I picked this guesthouse because of its location near the BTS train station and it seem good for budget traveler like me.

Once you get down from the train station (Soi 24), remember to walk with your back facing the "Naraya Shop". That's mean you have to walk pass/down 2 roads to "Soi 28".

My room come with the bathroom is very clean, tidy, aircond is good, with safety box in the wardrobe, television, friidge, free bottle of water on arrival, towel and soap. I'm also impress that they provide room service to tidy your room and replace the towel too. Further, I must admit the bed and mattress is so comfortable!!

The staffs are very friendly, helpful and speak English. My room is on the 2nd floor, one of the staff carry my heavy luggage without me asking!! I couldn't fault them at all.

The guesthouse has free wifi and offers a laundry service at very cheap fee. There is a bar next to the reception and also provide the guests with free coffee and tea everyday.

Overall I have a great stay and so lucky that I decided to stay in this guesthouse!
I would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Bangkok is very hot, I suggest to choose the room with Air Conditioner. MHC provide aircond in all t...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank Lero_Lero_Lero
mhc-guesthouse, Owner at MHC-Guesthouse, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Dear Guest, I would like to thank you for your excellent review. We hope to see you again at the MHC. Max & Staff
Plymouth
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013

Perfectly reasonable place to stay, the location is good and the room was clean. Only realised when we left that MHC stood for Mile High Club...maybe it's to make the place feel more romantic. When we got to the room it was a nice size with a fridge, tv, big wardrobe and a nice big bathroom. The bed was absolutely ridiculous, it had two mattresses on top of one another and as it was also on a high frame you literally had to climb onto in! It was a comfy sleep but think just the one mattress would've sufficed.

The owner gave the offer of free tea and coffee downstairs in the bar but we didnt take it up as the atmosphere isnt really there so feels a bit awkward. There is a laundry service but is pricey and charged per item. Was tempted to just get the 1 sock done but thought the better of it.

Overall I thought it was good, especially in comparison to some of the grot on offer in Bangkok. I'd stay again, just don't expect to be charmed.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank queenfonzy
mhc-guesthouse, Owner at MHC-Guesthouse, responded to this review, May 18, 2013
◦Hello. Thank you for expressing your views of the MHC on TripAdvisor. My Manager,Khun Ka remembers you as a very nice guest and gave you 100 Thb discount on your room bill. I guess it slipped your mind when you wrote your review. The name MHC came about as I was a Pilot for several moons. (in case you did not know). We offer a choice of mattresses, soft or firmer. A service, not offered by any other guesthouse or hotel. We need the space under the bed to store one mattress when not in use. Your complain has been the first regarding the height of the bed, so not so bad. On your return I will explain the attractions and pleasures of having a 30 ins high bed.!!! I am pleased your stay at the MHC was more comfortable than your other 2 stays. Its a little astonishing that you gave Yolo, a back-pack hostel, a higher rating than us. Isn't that unbelievable. In your own words you had to go down the corridor at Yolo to use the bathroom !!! Please guests if you only need 1 mattress we will happily remove the other. We offer a very personal service so talk to us while you are our guest. There is nothing I can do after your departure. We strive to make your stay as memobable as possible. Welcome to the MHC. Max Rathan.
Worcs
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013

We have just returned from Thailand and stayed at this guest house to meet our son who lives in Thailand. We stayed on the way in and out. If you are looking for 5* roof top pool. spa, wine waiters etc, this is not the place for you.
If you want good, clean basic accommodation with friendly staff, MHC is the place for you. Contrary to other reports the guest house is pretty central and is 5 mins walk from the sky train staion which will get you to all parts of Bangkok. The owner (Max) and his staff are very helpful, giving useful information on getting around Bangkok and we were even allowed to leave excess baggage there whilst we visited the islands. Breakfasts are good and again good value for money. If you want good, clean, relaxing, affordable accomodation as your base in Bangkok, I can recommend this guest house. We will return next year.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank LennyfromWorcs
Uttaradit City, Thailand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

After agonising over a suitable accomodation in Bangkok for me, my brother and his wife ... I am happy I decided on this guesthouse... definitely delivered all that it promised ( no fancy trimmings, bell boys and all that 5 star stuff) ... I was comfortable in my room, I even had a view of some part of Bangkok, with a window I could open. I even had a couch to sit on, however my brother's room did not...the staff catered to all my whims, oh yes the ladies, Reya and Ka... always smiling and willing to help ... I love that its situated in a very quiet area of the ever so bustling Bangkok but also at a walking distance to the BTS, restaurants, massage spas and the Emporium shopping mall. Truth be told, did not like having to walk the stairs up to my room late at night after a couple of drinks.. but then again its all because I could not resist the charms of the lively bar and its Japanese managers thats right next to the guesthouse.

Room Tip: If room size is a great deal for you.... I suggest the family rooms ....
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Sizwe B
Varde, Denmark
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

I was attracted by MHC Guesthouse's fine reviews and high overall scoring. Maybe I was unlucky with my room (the only one left just prior to Songkhran), but I was not particularly impressed.
The room was a long, narrow chamber along the aisle with no windows to the outside. Furniture is rather worn out. Even though there were no noisy guests (however it seems to be ok to take prostitutes to the rooms), I woke up every time somebody passed my room. The location of the guesthouse is not particularly central, out of walking distance for any attraction.
Positively to be mentioned are: cleanliness - the receptionist was very polite - good mattress.
I use to stay at the Suk11 when in Bangkok, and even though staffs are becoming increasingly rude, I prefer to stay there.

Room Tip: DON'T take the middle rooms!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank SebastianBehrle
mhc-guesthouse, Owner at MHC-Guesthouse, responded to this review, April 21, 2013
Dear Sebestian B,Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Sorry we did not come up to your expectation. You stayed on 11th April for 1 night., for which you paid 700thb ($23). We gave you a discount of 50.Thb. Your reservation was made on the day of your arrival. We sent you a letter confirming your reservation with taxi information from the airport. (we are the only hotel in Bkk who sends out such information). In my letter I explained you had a 15 minute grace to confirm your approval of the room. Had you complained at the time of check-in we could have had the opportunity of reaching a compromise. You stayed, accepting my hospitality and complained on departure. That is very unfair and disappointing. Had you just left I would have saved a lot of bother. I do not follow your remark regarding prostitutes. Any guest who books a double room can entertain their friend in their room. Its Impossible; nor do I want to stand at the gates, checking every one's credentials. We are a happy friendly place, where I try to create a homely atmosphere. Unfortunately your stay was very short and did not give you sufficient time to appreciate the MHC. This is Bangkok sir,the land of smiles where lots of single men come for R & R. There is a vast difference between soi 28 and Soi 11. This street is a cul-de-sac and much quieter than nosier Soi.11, much appreciated by a lot of my guests. Soi. 11 is part of the Nana red light district with its many bars, working girls, lady boys and drug addicts. Good luck if that is your scene
I checked the prices of the g/h in Soi. 11. Even the notorious Soi.11 g/h with its many restrictions (no sex tourist), shared bathroom & toilet is more expensive than the MHC. I also checked availability with the hotels and g/h in soi 11 on the night of the 11/4. 2 guesthouses were closed for the Songkran holidays. Most of the larger hotels were full. Makes me think your visit is a little more cynical that we know. Cheers. Max Rathan
Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

I go to Bangkok frequently, and i've tried many different areas/hotels in the city (kao san road, silom, sukhumvit) and my all time favourite place is the MHCguest house. The location is excellent, in a quite soi near a lively neighborhood and the staff is ADORABLE and helpful, Max greets you like a friend and the rooms are comfortable, clean and well thought !
i look forward to my next trip to Bangkok and staying at MHC once again !

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family