“OK but overrated” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #165 of 849 Hotels in Bangkok
Varde, Denmark
“OK but overrated”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

I was attracted by MHC Guesthouse's fine reviews and high overall scoring. Maybe I was unlucky with my room (the only one left just prior to Songkhran), but I was not particularly impressed.
The room was a long, narrow chamber along the aisle with no windows to the outside. Furniture is rather worn out. Even though there were no noisy guests (however it seems to be ok to take prostitutes to the rooms), I woke up every time somebody passed my room. The location of the guesthouse is not particularly central, out of walking distance for any attraction.
Positively to be mentioned are: cleanliness - the receptionist was very polite - good mattress.
I use to stay at the Suk11 when in Bangkok, and even though staffs are becoming increasingly rude, I prefer to stay there.

Room Tip: DON'T take the middle rooms!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank SebastianBehrle
mhc-guesthouse, Owner at MHC-Guesthouse, responded to this review, April 21, 2013
Dear Sebestian B,Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Sorry we did not come up to your expectation. You stayed on 11th April for 1 night., for which you paid 700thb ($23). We gave you a discount of 50.Thb. Your reservation was made on the day of your arrival. We sent you a letter confirming your reservation with taxi information from the airport. (we are the only hotel in Bkk who sends out such information). In my letter I explained you had a 15 minute grace to confirm your approval of the room. Had you complained at the time of check-in we could have had the opportunity of reaching a compromise. You stayed, accepting my hospitality and complained on departure. That is very unfair and disappointing. Had you just left I would have saved a lot of bother. I do not follow your remark regarding prostitutes. Any guest who books a double room can entertain their friend in their room. Its Impossible; nor do I want to stand at the gates, checking every one's credentials. We are a happy friendly place, where I try to create a homely atmosphere. Unfortunately your stay was very short and did not give you sufficient time to appreciate the MHC. This is Bangkok sir,the land of smiles where lots of single men come for R & R. There is a vast difference between soi 28 and Soi 11. This street is a cul-de-sac and much quieter than nosier Soi.11, much appreciated by a lot of my guests. Soi. 11 is part of the Nana red light district with its many bars, working girls, lady boys and drug addicts. Good luck if that is your scene
I checked the prices of the g/h in Soi. 11. Even the notorious Soi.11 g/h with its many restrictions (no sex tourist), shared bathroom & toilet is more expensive than the MHC. I also checked availability with the hotels and g/h in soi 11 on the night of the 11/4. 2 guesthouses were closed for the Songkran holidays. Most of the larger hotels were full. Makes me think your visit is a little more cynical that we know. Cheers. Max Rathan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Indonesian first
  • Vietnamese first
Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

I go to Bangkok frequently, and i've tried many different areas/hotels in the city (kao san road, silom, sukhumvit) and my all time favourite place is the MHCguest house. The location is excellent, in a quite soi near a lively neighborhood and the staff is ADORABLE and helpful, Max greets you like a friend and the rooms are comfortable, clean and well thought !
i look forward to my next trip to Bangkok and staying at MHC once again !

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank lnachevrier
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

Over the last couple of years I've stayed at MHC many times, and wouldn't dream of staying anywhere else when I'm in BKK.
Firstly, if you want a 5 star resort with porter service, a pool and fancy trimmings, this isn't the place for you...but if you want a good value for money, family and friendly run guesthouse in a good part of town it's perfect.
MHC is located on Sukhumvit Soi 28, which is a quiet Soi, but still only 5 minutes walk to the BTS at Phrom Phong (Soi 24), and a few minutes walk to the shops and shopping centres on Sukhumvit.The Eastern bus station at Ekamai is only 2 stops away on the BTS, handy if you're planning on going down to Ko Chang, Pattaya or Cambodia.
Max and Ka, the owners are a Brit/Thai couple and go out of their way to welcome their guests, inform them of the many scams Thai's will try on farangs, and are a wealth of information regarding where to go, what to see and how much it should cost...etc.
MHC itself is clean and comfortable, the rooms are well furnished with plenty of storage space, all have TV & AC, decent bathrooms and are comfortable.
My most recent stay was my 7th time at MHC, next time I'm in BKK I'll be back there.

Room Tip: I've stayed in 5 different rooms and they are all great
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank IGibbons
MHCGuesthouseMgmt, Owner at MHC-Guesthouse, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear IGibbons, Many thanks for your excellent review. We had the pleasure of welcoming you on many occassions. I hope it won't be long again before we next see you. As an intelligent, unbias, honest gentleman I seek your opion on improving the Mhc. For unknown reasons a lady guest seems to take a dislike to me and my past life; chanelling her anger againt the guest house. Your reassuring reply is appreciated. May I have your permission to post it.
"How can you improve? That's a tough question !!! I like MHC because of how it is already, and don't want it to change. Don't try to become like a hotel, I've stayed at many guesthouses around the world, the best ones (inc MHC) don't try to pretend they are a hotel, they are informal, the owners chat with the guests and get involved with in the day to day operation, and they make me feel like I'm coming home or visiting and old friend. I don't like the coldness and formality of hotels. The rooms at MHC are perfect, the service is perfect. I'm sure you could improve the fittings with fancy marble tiles and bathrooms...etc, but then you'd have to put the prices up to cover your investment, I don't need fancy trimmings when I travel, all I want is a clean, comfortable and friendly place to stay, that's conveniently located where I can feel at home".
Thank you Sir. See you again. Max Rathan
Lethbridge, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

This place definitely had the comfiest bed out of all my stays in Thailand. My husband and I stayed here for three nights and thoroughly enjoyed it. It is a very clean and spacious room. The lobby could use a bit of a spruce up but the rooms are more modern. The staff are friendly and breakfast in the morning is good, although you have to pay extra. It is close to the sky train which makes it easy to get around the city.

2 Thank onelife14
Christchurch, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

Great rooms, clean big, amazing beds and pillows and great hot shower. This was on the upper end of what we want to pay in Thailand but for the price it is very good. Little cafe called yolo just up the road is great and 5min wall to train station. People friendly and courteous but we were out a lot so only saw them once or twice. Laundry looked to be very expensive compared to what we have been paying. Room had a/c and satellite tv which was a luxury.

Very nice immaculate spot for a comfy quiet sleep

2 Thank Michael11_10
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

I stayed here for a few nights at the end of a long trip. I arrived shattered after a sleepless overnight train and the relaxed easy welcome and homely atmosphere saw me refreshed in no time. Brilliant value and nice chatting to Max about his flying days as my Dad was a pilot of similar era.

Berlin, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

I stayed in the guesthouse for 4 nights in Febraury 2013. The place is simple but clean and quiet. What makes this place special surely is the friendly and very helpful staff. I would always come back!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo