All reviewsguest housecaptain maxno elevatorbts stationhot watertop floorair conditiondouble roomcomfortable staymin walkkasukhumvittrainfridgeairporttaxithai
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Pros: Walking distance to BTS and therefore a network of places in bangkok for cheap, including airport train connection and major malls and markets. Far enough back from Sukhumvit on a very quiet side street that traffic noise is greatly reduced, probably even moreso if you have a back room. Staff friendly and helpful as others have said, laundry service good. I had the deluxe room (Boeing 767!) with King+single, nice comfortable bed, quiet aircon and fan, room equipped with decent fridge, sink and the makings of tea/coffee. Bathroom quite modern with big bonus of a proper shower, all very clean. MHC covers all the basic needs well. Wifi is a handy bonus.
Cons: disappointed that breakfast not available - maybe thats normal in Thailand but everywhere else ive been in SEA included some kind of breakfast. A nearby cafe was recommended but it was rather poor value of rmoney i thought. At least with the facilities at MHC i was able to buy milk and cereal at the supermarket and have brekky in the room.
Deluxe room on 4th floor - not so much fun lugging bags up and down the steep stairs.

other thoughts: A really nice 'local' resturant halfway to the BTS station had good thai food and beer at local prices, owners very friendly! Also street food vendors around for extra fun.
Took a tour booked through MHC which covered what it said, but included a few extra stops to try to convince us to buy stuff at commission-prices, reducing the time available at the key attractions.. Max was helpful and interested in our feedback on said tour. Very good to deal with, would have liked to have spent some more time there.

My wants are clean, quiet, comfortable, aircon-if-hot and inexpensive in that order, and i'd stay at MHC again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Mikey762
Reviewed July 22, 2012

I stayed for a total of five days at MHC over 26 days in Thailand. Ka the manager was wonderful with helping for tours and getting around Bangkok for cheap, writing directions or making sure taxi were not ripping me off. Friendly as. Brian and Gerry were great always smiling and helpfull. Shirley the cleaner was bubbly and kept my room clean. I wish Bryan and Shirley the best while in Bangkok as they are from the Philippines. I meet max the owner for 10 mins and he was not a nice man, all he did was complain and was a p### of a person perhaps we got him on an off day. If I had him as a boss I wouldn't last long. He seemed not to have any respect for his employees. While I think they made the place and the only reason I kept staying there while transmitting thru Bangkok. I would go back again just for the workers so friendly and genuine.

Room Tip: While singles are basic and size ok. No windows and tv didn't seem to work well. The wifi was great.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Michaela M
Reviewed June 25, 2012

The MHC had all the essentials for me: awesome location, great staff, clean rooms, free wifi, and excellent value.
The MHC is tucked away on soi 28, just a short distance from Sukhumvit, which is a main road. Even though the MHC is close to a major artery, traffic noise wasn't an issue. The Phrom Phong BTS Skytrain station is less than a 5 minute walk away. Just 2 stops from Phrom Phong station is the Ekamai station, where you can catch buses heading to Pattaya and Koh Samet and Trat and Koh Chang. Only a block and half away is a great little restaurant with cheap but very good Thai food. Many other dining options are close by and easily reached on foot. If you want to see a movie in English, get some good food and shop till you're broke, The Emporium mall is less than a 10 minute walk away.
Max, the owner of the MHC, is an English speaking expat, and can be relied on for all manner of information about Bangkok life. Max has a small staff of wonderful and knowledgeable local people who speak very good English, and can also provide much information about getting around the city.
Rooms are clean, spacious, and serviced daily. TV, AC, a mini fridge and safe are in each room. Wifi works in the rooms. Bathrooms are not wet room style, which is nice. There is a small bar area if you want to sit and have a cold Thai beer or a foreign import.
In short, I highly recommend MHC Guesthouse. If I had three thumbs, I'd give this place three thumbs up.

Room Tip: If you book using Agoda, make sure to send Max an email, so that he can send you various info about the MHC. If you fly into Suvarnabhumi, getting to the MHC is a snap. Take the airport link from Suvarnabhumi to Phaya Thai station. At Phaya Thai, take the BTS Skytrain to Phrom Phong station, and the MHC is less than a 5 minute walk from there.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
8  Thank rucksack67
Reviewed June 23, 2012

Stayed here in June 2012 for a night. The room is spacious and super clean! Nothing fancy about it but you can't expect more for the price you pay. I think this is the best place I ever stayed for this price in Bangkok. And it has free wifi in the room. Location is great and very close to the skytrain Phrom Pong. The only thing I found noisy was the air conditioner sound outside my window. Loud enough to make my sleep not well.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank jbdl
Reviewed June 22, 2012

I had previously been in another hotel in Bangkok which did not help me too much and I ended up wasting a fortune in taxis everywhere (many of which got lost). My experience of the MHC was totally different. I received a lot of help in getting around Bangkok cheaply and the staff in this hotel were amazing. Max has a great sense of humour and never failed to cheer me up and Ga helped me greatly. she would write directions for me in Thai and tell me where I needed to go to get things. Brian, Gerry and Shirley were all great people too. I really recommend this hotel. it is great value too. William from Glasgow

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo