“Shocking treatment after doing us the "favour" of allowing us to book!”
Review of GAGGAN

GAGGAN
Ranked #126 of 11,033 Restaurants in Bangkok
Cuisines: Indian, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Bar scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Bangkok, Thailand
“Shocking treatment after doing us the "favour" of allowing us to book!”
Reviewed June 7, 2014

I had been to Gaggan before with friends and really enjoyed the quirkyness of the tasting menu and the charm of the owner. I had another friend in from London (a real food lover, like myself, and another friend who decided to fly up from KL to join us for dinner and spend the weekend), my friend said he knew someone that knew Mr Gaggan, so he would ask her to book for us, which she did 5 or 6 days in advance at 9 pm (a bit late but we knew the restaurant was very popular since it won all the awards), we then added 1 to the booking a couple of days before the booking. Anyway: the day came, I was excited to introduce my friends to the place.

Oh Dear! The table was not ready, we were requested to sit in the yard behind the parking spaces, it was hot and the drivers of the hiso ppl inside had their engines running, pumping Carbon monoxide into the garden through the hedge. We waited an hour and 10 mins before anyone came and offered us another drink; we got no water, cold towels or even a fan.

after my friend had gone in to moan 3 times, eventually at 10.15pm a French waiter rushed out, saying that the wait was "inexcusable" and offering a "free bottle of champagne" - we got cheap Prosecco _ I tweeted about the heat and the wait.

Meal was good - service not! Company great!

few days later the owner tweeted me saying he would look into it, asked what name we were booked under, I told him, never heard anything again - he wasn't in that night.

last night friends of mine from overseas told me they wanted to go but couldn't get a booking.
I said that I had owner's twitter handle and would ask him to help.

I said; "dear Mr. Gaggan, i never heard back from you, but I want to come again, i have friends who can't get a booking, help?"

I got back " well last time we tried helping u on full night and then got back the 40*C , don't wanna waste free champagne again NO help !!!"

Say no more! Hic

• Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Phuket, Thailand
“Good food and service, but mmissing the wow factor.”
Reviewed June 5, 2014

This restaurant recently listed as No 17 on the Pelligrino World's Best Restaurants list, so it has a lot to live up to. The old building is very nice and has all the old rooms set up as separate dining areas, so it is an intimate setting for eating. We did a 13 course tasting menu. The food is very modern, but the flavours are all unmistakably Indian. The staff were good, with every dish described in detail so you could pick out the flavours and see what the chef was trying to do. There was no dish that I would have described as being sub standard in any way, but also nothing that made me really sit up and go WOW. The dishes came very quickly. I would have preferred it to be slower and better paced, but if you don't want to spend a long time at a restaurant, this may suit you. Timing could have been affected by the fact that there was a midnight curfew in Bangkok at the time, so they would need to get the service finished and the restaurant cleaned up early so staff could get home. We did make a point of starting at 6:30pm in an attempt to make sure the curfew was no issue, and we were finished before 9:30, so there was room to spend more time. Price was about $100 US per person not including drinks. I believe that represents very good value when looked at from an international perspective. I would not have rated it as 'one of the best in the world' though because of that missing 'wow' factor that the really good restaurants provide.

• Visited June 2014
Vienna, Austria
“Exciting food”
Reviewed June 5, 2014

The location is very nice, however not too easy to find as it is in a back alley. The welcome was warm and friendly, service was generally very good, however that is what you should be able to expect from such a restaurant.
We choose the simple menu, with around ten courses and it was a wonderful journey of different tastes. The food is hard to descripe, but definitely woth exploring! If you like Indian food and are curious about a new interpretation, then this is the place for you to visit.

• Visited May 2014
brunei
“Delicious food and warm service”
Reviewed June 4, 2014 via mobile

Went there on Friday night and was informed its tasting menu only. 3 tasting menus to choose from. Creative dishes full of surprises.
Most memorable dishes are the prawn, scallop and chicken masala with naan. Best naan and chicken masala I ever had! Explosion starter was a nice surprise.

Greater London, United Kingdom
“Absolutely Fantastic ”
Reviewed June 3, 2014 via mobile

It's the most amazing indian food I have ever had in my life, terrific had the opportunity to meet the man Gaggan himself a great guy, innovation and truly passionate about his work. The food, service, ambience is simply the next level of world class