“Great restaurant”

Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
“Great restaurant”
Reviewed January 8, 2014 via mobile

A great restaurant with innovative food influenced by Heston's Fat Duck. We thoroughly enjoyed this restaurant would visit again if we find ourselves in Bangkok. The restaurant was difficult for the cab to find. Written directions in Thai would have helped.

Visited January 2014

• Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Tel Aviv
“This place begs for someone to scream "The Emporer Has no Clothes"”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Molecular cooking, international advertising, rave reviews and a waiting list of weeks to get a reservation. It's a joke, a gimmick, and looking at my fellow restaurant goers' faces it seemed we all shared the same feeling - we'd been duped!!! My first grievance was not being able to opt for a la carte, although this option had been advertised on the restaurant's website. Secondly, the cost for the set tastings began at 1,800 baht per person, we asked if two could share, the answer we got left no doubt that this was improbable. So, 10 spoon size - yes - spoon size portions of food, if you can call it food and not a laboratory experiment, came out one by one from the kitchen. Except for the savior tiny dish of chicken with naan bread, nothing remotely tasted Indian, and nothing was remotely satisfying. The miniscule portions left us hungry, and when the bill came we almost had a heart attack! 4,500 baht, with a glass of water marked at 220 baht! I would never recommend this restaurant, if you could call it that, but an experimental lab that is having a great laugh at its poor, unsuspecting patrons! It begs for someone to scream "The Emperor is wearing no clothes," so here I am, "THE EMPORER IS WEAING NO CLOTHES!"

• Visited January 2014
8 Thank Ilana G
Manila, Philippines
“Does not live up to the hype!”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Billed as the first ever molecular Indian dining experience, Gaggan was pretty disappointing. As an idea, it sounds delightful. After all, the myriad flavors and tastes of Indian cuisine appear to be tailor made for a gastronomic molecular makeover. But good ideas don't always translate well, and this is clearly one such example. There are several set menus to choose from, each one sounding very impressive. Our group of three opted for the more modest one, which was not cheap. A seven course tasting menu was what was delivered. Some of it was definitely interesting, such as the naan pizza, or the mushroom spiced soup, but every course was literally a mouthful, and no course was enough to satisfy even in the slightest. Some dishes were also total misses. For example the gajar halwa (a pale reflection of what is a wondrous dessert), or the completely ridiculous frozen tiramisu (an Indian tiramisu??). The presentations were interesting though they didn't always work. For example, it's impossible to drink soup out of a hole in a rock, no matter how quaint it looks! The smallest tasting menu cost around 70 US dollars per head without drinks, and left us hungry and dissatisfied. Full marks for ingenuity, zero for execution.

• Visited September 2013
Broadbeach, Australia
“Amazing experience”
Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

Loved it, loved it, loved it. Yes you are going to pay up market prices for relatively small portions, but the food quality, presentation and creativity is exceptional.

We did the mid-size tasting menu for 2800thb per person and after some 10 tasting plates and a sensory overload, would have to put this as one of the best dining experiences we have had.

You ain't going to eat here every week, and it's not some where you are going to for a quick bite to eat after shopping. Relax, enjoy the experience, the Chablis goes great with the food.

Will return on next visit to Bangkok.

Visited January 2014
Manila, Philippines
“Please improve your service”
Reviewed December 30, 2013

We had dinner on Dec 28, 2013. Was so looking forward to having dinner here with my family but was disappointed on the service. We were a group of 5. The food I will leave out as I feel it is a personal taste and honestly I find a few quiet good. But I am writing this in hope that they will improve on a few things.

1. The staff are not well trained. For a tasting menu it is required that the dishes be introduced. And they did not. The only person I think who knows what he is doing is Mr. Anaek and unfortunately he was not serving us full time.
2. We pre-booked our tasting menu a week before reserved date. When we got there I repeated the tasting menu of our choice. The tasting menu was clearly stated in the menu. When a dish came out that was not on the list and I asked maybe if there is a mix up. I was just told simply that they change the menu as they ran out of the other dish. This happened twice.
3. Before we even start with dinner and ordering our wine. I asked if it was possible to order anything outside of the tasting menu as I wanted to try a few dishes I saw that looks interesting. They said yes. I requested that before dessert is served let me know so I can make my choices. They said yes. I was informed before dessert was served. When I made my choices and ordered. One of the girls came back and said that the kitchen decided not to take any more orders. No apology immediately. I was not happy. But when we paid for our bill an apology did came about 30 minutes late.
4. The 2 girls in the reception does not seem to know how to deal with customers. I noticed that every time the phone rings. One of the girl will make faces when people wanted to make a reservation and that day caller requested is fully booked. She did this 3 times while I was there and I sat there wondering if she did the same thing to me when I did my reservation.
5. I can hear the chef screaming from the kitchen barking orders. Not a pleasant evening dinner music to join me most thru the night.

Saving point. When we left, I had to look for the driver of the van we rented to have this dinner. My wife and and my 3 daughters were waiting by the door of the restaurant and Mr Gaggan came out and asked if they needed a car. My wife said I was looking for the driver and my wife said Mr Gaggan waited for me and the van to show up before he left. We appreciate this. Thank you.

• Visited December 2013