“clean, freindly and safe” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chilli Bangkok Hotel

Chilli Bangkok Hotel
Ranked #441 of 606 Bangkok B&B and Inns
Bristol, United Kingdom
“clean, freindly and safe”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2014

My girlfriend and i stayed here at the start of our month in Thailand, The man on the front desk speaks a small amount of English but always went out of his to help us regardless.
The hotel is in a nice location, not central but good if you want to see a bit more of real bangkok. All the locals were friendly towards us and would laugh when we rolled in at 6am stumbling around.
The rooms themselves are clean, very small but basic, perfect for backpackers. Very very cheap, would recommend to anybody!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Hannah S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Mumbai (Bombay), India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2014

Location not good at all. Atleast 1.5 km from nearest station, more than 8-10 km from all happening places in Bangkok. Had problem to find out the place even not many tuk tuk driver knew. Infra not good. No window in any room and suffocating. But good thing about this place is people working there. I had booking in a dorm, since all dorm were full so got a single room. Met many nice people there. May be next time stay in any hostel in Khao San.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank RanensTravelogue
Worcester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2014

The hotel wasn't difficult to find, the taxi driver dropped us off at the end of the road and we followed the hotel signs down the narrow alley.

The room was clean and the bed was comfortable the bathroom was also clean so no complaints from the key requirements. But, the room smelt very strongly of the drains, a sweet sickly, pungent smell. Also the room was tiny, the double bed took up almost the entire room leaving only a small amount of floorspace from the door to the bed where the door to the en-suite is. We were here in the high season but the price of this room was the same as we had been paying for a huge room in the previous hotel, we didn't feel we were getting good value for money.

In addition there are no covers for the bed, just two large towels to wrap up in. Never seen that before! The power sockets are almost on the ceiling, I have a 2m USB cable and my phone just reached the top of my rucksack.

The location was good if you want to get to the train station, but not very good for sightseeing in Bangkok.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013

We only stayed here for one night so we didn't get too much of an idea of the dynamics of the place, e.g. the bar area, the night atmos, laundry etc etc. But, one night here after a very long time traveling was everything we needed. The rooms were air con'ed with a hot shower and the bedding was relatively clean and comfortable.

The location was reasonably close to china town, which was good for food and the like. More importantly for us it was very close to Hua Lam Pong train station, which, if you're traveling internally or heading to Poi Pet in Cambodia, as we were, it is very handy. I can't really comment more on this as we were there for such a small amount of time. I will say this though, the Chilli Bangkok IS down a small ally way/side street which other reviewers have mentioned, this is not uncommon in Asia and we never felt unsafe or threatened at this location or at any other similar guest houses off the beaten track.

My only complaint would be that the double room which my girlfriend and I had was pretty small, there was no room to store our bags without us tripping over them in the middle of the night. Also, the only socket in the room was at head height with nothing for you to rest your phone on whilst it's charging. Luckily, I had a cunning work around, had I not, I might have been a little pissed off. Go prepared. (I've found that poking the prongs of the plug through the top of an old sock and then putting the phone in the sock before plugging it in works quite well).

In short, great stop over crash pad. Clean, Safe with lovely friendly staff excellent value for money. Take your own map of Bangkok though, their's is rubbish. :P

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

I heard about this from a dorm mate in Phuket. The hotel or hostel is in a quite hidden alley so GPS is an easier way to find this place.

The design of this building is really cool actually. The room is cheap but small in size. If you failed your BMI (body to mass index) or like 6 foot tall, it is not a good place for you. Otherwise, it is fine for resting and sleeping. Stay here if you are not trying to have vacation inside hotel, duh.. Good for backpackers, for me I tour with my bicycle, so I mostly going out with my bicycle.

The hotel is in beside Charoen Krung street, so you can easily go to Yaowarat road (Chinatown) , Rama 4 road and Silom road. Train station is near you plus sky train and Si Phraya tier. You can definitely find a taxi, motor taxi or tuk tuk near you.

If you prefer a hotel with more facilities, then find another place and expect a higher price to pay.

My room was 205, I got my own toilet, air condition , hot water also. Room was clean but the drawback was the 6 foot high power wall outlet (luckily my charger has long cable).

The staff is not fluent in English but it is not a problem to me, at least he know how to check me in. I can simply ask someone out in the street if i need information. I don't mind socialize with strangers, that's why I cycle to Thailand instead of an airplane.

This ain't a 5 stars hotel but worth a stay or two if you are backpacking.

Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

I only stayed here for two nights and it's great for a short stay. Nothing bad to say about the hotel it was clean and tidy although are room was very small, but if you only here for two nights then it's good! No food at the hotel from what we could see but there is lots of good street food stalls around the corner. Hotel is a little but away from all the action but only a ten min boat ride to the temples and various other places. The two guys that run the place are very friendly and informative and go that extra mile to help you out with travel info and maps on how to get there. Would definitely recommend for a short stop over!

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank Jimstand
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

I agree with many of the reviewers who say it's good for a short stay. Not because it is low quality, but because there just isn't room to spread and get comfortable. I didn't plan on spending a lot of time in the room, so it worked out well for me. The rooms are TINY with just enough room for the double bed. I would suggest they put up more wall hooks and shelves so that people have a place to stick their stuff--there isn't much floorspace otherwise. I really liked the industrial look of the spaces outside the rooms--very chic. Super clean. The hotel is located on the edge of Chinatown and 10 minutes from the subway station. Good location, but you will have a walk into Chinatown or further down the street for food. Do be warned it is at the end of a very small residential lane and you'll meet the neighbors hanging out who will watch and comment as you pass. I understand Thai--they weren't saying anything bad;) Just smile like a local. One complaint was that the price of a small Singha was 70 baht. Yikes!! Perhaps the bar would be fuller with more reasonably priced drinks.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo