“An Enjoyable Experience in Thai Cuisine”

Sra Bua by Kiin Kiin
Ranked #35 of 11,609 Restaurants in Bangkok
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Siam
Description: Sister restaurant to Copenhagen's Kiin Kiin - one of only two Thai restaurants worldwide with a Michelin star. Lunch: Open daily from 12:00 - 15:00 (last order at 14:30) Dinner: Open daily from 18:00 - midnight (last order for set menu at 21:00) (last order for a la carte menu at 22:30)
Reviewed October 2, 2012

In conclusion, I really like this restaurant for the fact that it allowed me to experience Thai Food in the way that I have never experienced before. Overall food was very good with some super-excellent food and some 'alright' ones. It might not be the place where I will have my regular meals (price, of course, is one major obstacles). However, I would love to revisit the place once in a while, especially whenever they launch new menu.

I wanted to go to Sra Bua for quite sometimes, after hearing all the buzz about the place. I had my chance a couple of weeks ago and it didn't disappoint me.

I went there with my wife and we both had 4 courses menu and ending up having a chance to try each other's food too. Here is my thought on each courses:

Appetizer : Came in 2 sets 'cracker' and 'street food', each of which contains 3 - 4 bite-size variety. What I like most, surprisingly, is the dip of the cracker. It's very light and the flavor was just spot on. I could have a lot of that but unfortunately, the portion was quite small and, unlike any other Thai restaurant, you cannot order just THAT dish.

Entree : I had red curry with lobster. Unlike regular red curry, which is served hot, this curry was served cold in a mouse format. It taste good but not far different from any other red curry. Nonetheless, it is still a good experience.

Main Course : I had Tom Kha Quail. Tom Kha taste the same as in any other Tom Kha and can add some more spice. However, the quail was THE BEST POULTRY I have ever had in my entire life. It was cooked to perfection with juice and tenderness. So, this is really good dish. My wife, however, had a chicken with lemongrass and I think that dish is not exciting.

Desert : I had pandan ice cream with pistachio cake and it taste really good. Even though it sounds like food you can find elsewhere but the taste is absolutely right. Again .. love it.

Overall, I had a wonderful time at the place and nothing disappoint me. From the price standpoint, I might expect everything to be over the top, which is not the case for every dish but at least it gave me something that I couldn't find elsewhere.

Reviewed August 30, 2012 via mobile

This is quite simply a spectacular dining experience! We just had the small menu and a non alcoholic drink and it costed us 5000THB for 2 persons. Worth every baht!

This is NOT ordinary thai food. This is cooking on a higher level. So if youre looking for good thai food then try Smooth Curry over at Le Merridien. Sra Bua is an experience for food lovers. (It helps the entire experience if you know the taste og Thailand on beforehand)

1  Thank awpdk
Reviewed August 28, 2012

I had one dinner and one lunch here. While dinner experience was slightly better, the lunch was simply a disappointment. The set menu at lunch did not include any choices and the portion is puny teeny tiny. The decor is elegant with the food price to match, but considering price and quality and quantity of food, I can't quite recommend this establishment. Service is very attentive.

2  Thank Louis W
Reviewed August 7, 2012

We are big fans of the Kiin kiin in Copenhagen and we can say that this place has not disappointed us. The settings is very classy and the food was amazing. One of the best restaurant experience we have had.

2  Thank anachoune
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Don’t go to Sra Bua expecting molecular gastronomy. It’s more like of a modern, trendy way to prepare and serve Thai food to those looking for something new, something a bit different.
We were offered two set menus, a six course menu at THB1,800++ and a ten course menu at THB2,400++ with optional sets of matching soft drinks, cocktails or wines. We chose the ten course menu.
First came the nibbles. We were presented with three Thai snacks - a soy and cashew macaroon, deep fried lotus root crisp and a prawn cracker served with a chilli and tomato mousse dip. The first two were rather sweet and I found this a strange way to begin a meal. The third was ok, nothing more.
Next came the appetizers. Spicy Northern style sausage and prawn toast were served as lollipops along with pomelo salad, tuna tartar and chili dip with pork crackling. All were ok with the tartar coming out as favourite.
Next came a seafood course. I opted for the river prawn with ginger. It was served in a bamboo steamer on a pile of pebbles which made it look a bit lost. Maybe that was the idea but I’m not sure. It was nothing special.
The clear tom yum soup was very good. It was nicely spiced with all the usual tom yum flavours but with none of the messy chunks of lemon grass, ginger and prawn heads getting in the way.
The salad course looked pretty but the salad leaves were very woody and not too pleasant to chew on.
Next was the signature dish – frozen red curry with lobster. This was perhaps the only dish which could truly be described as molecular gastronomy. Liquid nitrogen was poured under the dish at the table to add a bit of theatre and to keep the dish cold. The curry was very good, as was the lobster. A definite winner.
For the main course, I chose quail. It was served in a pool of tom kha gai, topped with crispy chicken skin and accompanied by rice. The portion was tiny but perfectly balanced and delicious
Next came four desserts. The pandan ice cream, jelly and cake was my favourite. It was very inventive, had great texture and the combination of flavours was perfect. Compliments to the chef.
If I was to visit Sra Bua again, I would like to be able to choose maybe three or four of the dishes from the set menu and have them served a’la carte as regular portions. The frozen red curry to start, quail for main and pandan for dessert would be perfect as a three course meal. The rest I could easily do without.
With a bottle of wine, tax and service charge, our bill for two persons came to just under THB9,000. Not cheap but given the great service, high quality ingredients, inventiveness and theatre of the meal and the overall experience, it was worth it.

2  Thank flipflops49