“The Shama was Excellent”

Shama Sukhumvit Bangkok
Ranked #46 of 1,155 Specialty Lodging in Bangkok
West Palm Beach, Florida, United States
“The Shama was Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

I recently stayed at the Shama and found everything to be just right. The rooftop pool and the workout gym were 2 of my favorite places to go. The breakfast was delicious each morning as well. The in-room washer/dryer was a great touch.

The only issue I encountered was a couple of unscrupulous taxi drivers who picked us up and then tried to get us to go somewhere we didn't want to go. Both times we asked to be let out on the street and had to start our trip again. The hotel staff insured us that they were not connected to the taxi drivers in any way, and tried to pre-screen them. The first time it happened the door man was re-trained in how to pre-screen. The second time the door man was busy and did not speak to the driver. I don't think it was the hotel's fault, but I think it's worth warning future visitors to make sure the doorman pre-screen the taxis.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Randy J

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Taipei, Taiwan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

Luxury+Elegant
Contemporary mix with thai-style, the hotel is well designed. Lobby feels very comfortable, clean, smells good. Staffs are very professional, friendly and helpful. I didn't have time to try the pool on the rooftop and the gym, hopefully will do it upon next visit. The room layout suits my taste, I feel like home, and drop dead on the couch after an exhausted day.

Discreet+Convenient
The hotel entrance ally is secure and private, and there's a shortcut back exit leads to Soi4 or Soi6, which can easily dodge the crazy traffic on Sukhumvit Rd. Finally, just 5 minutes walk to Nana BTS, perfect.

Room Tip: Well, I pick the higher floor... I like it.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
ShamaSukhumvitBKK, General Manager at Shama Sukhumvit Bangkok, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear Sir, Madam,

Thank you very much for the time you took to write this extensive review.

We are very proud to read that you enjoyed our services in the areas you listed.

We look forward seeing you soon and hope you will enjoy your stay with us again.

Kind regards
Sukamal Mondal
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

I was disaappointed at Shama Sukhumvit. The location is reasonable and access to the BTS not too bad, and the accommodation itself is not bad - the suites are quite large and reasonably well-appointed. But Bangkok is a very competitive market for serviced apartments of this sort and Shama fails in so many points of detail that I do not think that it is competitive. I had one major disaster - a smell from my bathroom so bad that I had to change rooms - but more to the point were masses of tiny details, insignificant in themselves, perhaps, which cumulatively made me want to move out. The breakfast is quite limited and staff poorly trained (for example removing all my food and a mostly undrunk cup of coffee in the time that it took me to go the buffet and collect something). In the bedroom there is no light by the bed - only a bright overhead light - so it's far from convenient if one person is not sleeping well and wants to read, but a companion wants to sleep (surely a common thing in a place where many guests will be suffering from jet lag). Almost worse, you cannot turn the light off in bed but must get up, go to the door, and turn it off, returning to the bed in the dark (the fact that the light in my wardrobe would not go off because the door fitted so badly, so I had a thread of light to see me back to the bed was entirely in keeping with the general level of maintenance and detail). And so it goes on - so many examples of little things that made me feel that I would never want to return here.

When I said I intended to move out they initially said I would have to pay a penalty day (I had thought that this applied only to a no-show). When I protested, and talked to Agoda, they waived this penalty and refunded the balance of days. Then they went further and offered me an upgrade to a larger suite for 4 nights entirely free. So I stayed, and I recognise in this respect exceptional customer service - but it doesn't make up for the basic inadequacies.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Londontimo1946
Sukamal, General Manager at Shama Sukhumvit Bangkok, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear Sir/Madam

Thanks so much for taking time to share your feedback, following your recent stay at Shama Sukhumvit, Bangkok.

Our team including myself has gone through all your feedback and we have taken necessary action to improve all the basics. In fact we have checked all our apartments regarding the wardrobe light and we made sure that all wrdrobes are well closed and there is no thread of light is coming out from wardrobe. Regarding the tiny details our training department will continuously train all operations department so that they can focus on details. Regarding the switch for the bed light we actually have a switch beside the headboard, however your constructive feedback led us in a good direction. Upon check in our Guest Relations team will go through all these during orientation of the room.

Rest promised that all your comments are well noted and taken into consideration immediately.

Please accept my deepest apologies and I very much hope you will come back to experience the excellent levels of service and customer care with which Shama Sukhumvit, Bangkok is generally associated. When this is the case please contact me personally so I can make the necessary arrangements on your behalf.

Kind Regards

Sukamal
Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

I had my second stopover stay here this year. I like the Shama very much because of its location, Suites, cleanless and kind and helpful staff. Also the value for money is very ok. The Pool at 18th (top of the hotel) is nice mostly with refreshing wind

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
east yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

This was the 8th stay at the Shama, as always we received a very warm welcome form the staff who remembered us from our previous bookings. We stayed for 2 nights 24th & 25th January at the beginning of our trip and for 1 night 17th Feb on our return. We were delighted to receive a room upgrade for the first 2 night a most welcome gesture. As always the rooms are superb, large and bright, we love the roof top pool and the acompanying views! The hotel is very well placed for taking in the sights of Bangkok, upon staff reccomendations we visited Terminal 21, an excellent place to shop!!
A big thanks to all the staff for making our stay memorable, we will see you again in MAy this year!

Room Tip: We had a corner room which affored good views and a lovely balcony that got the afternoon sun
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
St. Albans, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

First trip to Thailand so made the booking without any background knowledge ( hadn't discovered trip advisor then). Warm greeting and polite and helpful staff, unexpected upgrade was a pleasant surprise.
Large clean and well furnished apartment was much better than we expected and we would certainly stay there again.
Tucked away from the tourist hot spots, but nearby skytrain means getting about is easy (and cheap).

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

We stayed in a 2-bedroom apartment for 3 nights over the Chinese New Year period. The hotel was fully booked, but we were still warmly welcomed by the front desk and concierge. The apartment block is built behind a home with a huge compound and the entrance is quite small and not very easy to find. Our apartment was very spacious which floor length windows let in lots of natural light; the kitchen was indeed fully equipped complete with a washing machine (although the dryer didn't work). The place must have been excellent a year or two back but it was beginning to show signs of wear - the upholstery was stained and starting to fray, there were oily hand prints on backs of chairs and wardrobe doors, and grime in corners of shower stalls. The towels were more grey than white although the Thann toiletries sort of made up for this. The breakfast spread was smallish but adequate. We noted that the place seemed very popular with Middle Eastern medical tourists.
PLUS - Good location, walking distance from Ploenchit BTS, supermarket and eating places closeby, very helpful and friendly front desk.
NEGATIVE - The smell. There was a distinct sewerage smell in the lobby as well as in our 2 toilets. We managed by keeping the doors of our toilets shut at all times. Only one cardkey could be issued to us and the 'reason' was the place being fully booked.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing Soi 4. Traffic noise from the highway in front of Soi 2 makes peaceful sleep...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Sir/Madam

Greetings from Shama Sukhumvit !

We would like to extend our sincere thanks for such a constructive feedback. Please accept our apologies for possible inconvenience casued due to the smell and also regarding the limited card key. Our training department has gone through a training process so that our team members are well trained and professional enough.

We look forward to welcoming you on yoru next visit to Bangkok, and should you need any assistance please feel free to contact me anytime.

Thanks