“Wonderful food, but not cheap”
Review of Angelini

Angelini
Ranked #736 of 11,272 Restaurants in Bangkok
Cuisines: Italian, Bar
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Silom
Reviewed December 8, 2012

We ate here because we were staying int he Shangri La as I think most of the people that eat here.

The food was very good, but at the end of the day its Italian food so when you are buying high end italian food its hard to get it very wrong.

However the service is probably the best I have ever had in a restaurant and I eat out 4 or 5 times per week.

Reviewed November 21, 2012

i visited Angelini recently with a couple of friends after having seen an advertising about a new Chef. Accordingly I only ordered the Chef s highlights when my friends chose from the old Carte. Every Chef s dish I tasted was either not tasty or uninteresting. My friends were not better impressed with the regular Menu. Our waitress couldn t speak a word of English therefore we had to point each dish on the Menu for her. A singer accompanied by a small orchestra was performing but the amplifier was so loud that we had to escape outside, unfortunately speakers were installed there as well...the italian wine we ordered was decent but all of us experienced strong headaches the day after. Prices were steep and totally unjustified non standing the location. A bad experience over all.

Reviewed November 19, 2012

My husband and I were staying in the Shangri-la hotel where this restaurant was based, for our honeymoon and decided to check it out on out last night in Bangkok, before heading on to Chiang Mai. Its a beautiful restaurant and the menu is fairly extensive, and we were seated upstairs while a jazz/easy listening singer/piano player performed below (very well I might add).

The first thing I have to say is that the food was prepared very well and everything was very tasty, in fact I would have given the restaurant 5 Stars if not for one or two things. I'll deal with my husbands meal first as his was perfect it was mine that had the issues/ He had the veg soup with barley to start (a miracle as he normally leaves anything vaguely green on the plate) and he enjoyed every drop, he then had the pizza diavolo which was delicious (I tried some and it really was good) but it was big and he had to leave some behind to leave room for desert. He also had fries and Brocolli in butter on the side and they were both great. For desert he ordered profiteroles, which was actually one large profiterole with an ice cream filling and hot chocolate sauce poured on top.

Which brings me to my issue with this restaurant... as I said the food is great but their description of the items could be better. to me profiteroles are small pastry puffs with cream and chocolate and before you think i'm being fussy lets get to my meal.

For started I had the Calimari, which was delicious and had a lemon mayo on the side that was the best I ever tasted. But the main course was a bit (a very little bit) of a disappointment. I ordered the lamb shank, but when it arrived out....no lamb shank it was actually three lamb cutlets...don't know how they confused the two as they are two completely different cuts of meat but as I said eveything was very tasty. I ordered mushroom sauce with them but honestly it tasted more like red wine gravy I couldn't detect the slightest sign of mushroom. On the side I ordered Asparagus with garlic butter (couldn't detect any garlic) and mashed potatoes.....I'm going to go into Irish stereotype mode....I like my potatoes and some people won't understand this but they were the creamiest softest mashed potatoes I have ever had (and trust me on this my family are dab hands at making mash) but.... it didn't taste like proper potato... again it was tasty but just not quite what I wanted.

However.... the desert... I ordered Tirimisu... which looked beautiful dusted with the Angilini name on top in white, but however good it looked it tasted even better, just wonderful....honestly saved the meal for me.

If the menu descriptions were better this would be the best restaurant we visited in Bangkok. and one other thing which i found quite funny... staying in the Shangrei-la we were almost used to the extremely high level of service but this was taken to a whole other level in this restautant as I reached to pour myself some more water and literally before my fingertips touched the bottle a waiter was there shaking his head smiling and pouring for me. Thats not to say they are intrusive we really did enjoy our meal in peace but they are extremely helpful.

Reviewed November 1, 2012

This is a very good Italian restaurant offering classic Italian cuisine and an excellent wine list in a good ambience.

Reviewed October 31, 2012

Perhaps not a traditional Italian restaurant but a haven within the Sharngril-la Hotel. We enjoyed the food and service.