“Why stay anywhere else?”

Focal Local Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 693 Bangkok B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 28, 2012

After looking up over a dozen places in Bangkok to stay during our short 2 night stay, we finally settled on Focal Local, thanks to TripAdvisor and all the reviews.
We were in Thailand for a short 5 day trip for our wedding anniversary, and were travelling with our 2 and a half year old daughter.

Every interaction with Focal Local and their staff was perfect and we could not have asked for more. The B&B is small, clean, neat and very conveniently located near the central pier. It was easy to find considering we listened to Karans recommendation to carry a printed map of the location.

My wife and we were very happy to stay at Focal Local considering the experience was completely different from staying at some large hotel chain, we felt at home at Focal Local. We stayed in 'Splash' the room and bath was very clean and our room got plenty of natural light, my daughter loved the little open space and sitting area on the first floor.

I have made 3 trips to Thailand previously, however this was the first time I had Thai food for breakfast and all thanks to Focal Local, their breakfast was just perfect, including the glass of fresh juice and the Thai desert.

I would not want to end this review without thanking Karan and the entire staff, they made our stay special.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Management response:Responded June 30, 2012

Thank you so much for your review. Having your lovely family stay with us made Focal Local lively. We'll look forward to seeing you again for your 4th time in Thailand. All the best :)

There are newer reviews for Focal Local Bed and Breakfast

Reviewed June 26, 2012

I had a great stay at Focal Local. The staff were very friendly, helpful and efficient. I stayed in the Chic room, which was more than fine. The only disadvantage to this room is that since it's on the ground floor, you get to hear everyone who comes down for breakfast in the morning even if you want to sleep in. I am an early riser so it didn't bother me and who would want to skip that great breakfast anyway?! It's not that close to public transportation, but the B&B offer a complimentary tuk tuk ride to either the skytrain or the ferry, and the address of the hotel in Thai so it is easier for you to find your way back. I had an early bus to Cambodia in the morning so they packed me a little breakfast brown bag to take with me and arranged a taxi to come pick me up in the morning! Such a wonderful and homey touch. Would definitely stay here if I came back here.

Room Tip: If you like to sleep in or are a light sleeper, request a room upstairs.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank CarmenSandiego2012
Management response:Responded June 28, 2012

Thank you very much for staying with us and for your review. We're happy to here that you enjoyed your stay and loved to homey touch at Focal Local. This little home will always welcome you for your next Bangkok visit :)

Reviewed June 25, 2012

I came to Focal Local at the end of May to stay, so this review is totally overdue.

The B&B isn't located next to a main road or BTS, so it may be a little quiet. However, there are several restaurants within walking distance, a 7-Eleven and many little old-school salons. The environment is very laid-back and relaxed, away from the hustle and bustle of the city.

I had the Chic room and my parents had Yesteryears.

Chic: deep wine red and grey themed, with a huge and comfortable bed. The bathroom may appear dark at first but I got used to it. They provided shampoo and bath gel. Everything was clean and neat, but you have to shut the curtains as the window opens into the back of another house.

Yesteryears: Deep yellow theme with many retro looking items, toy robots and this room gets a bonus point over Chic for having a full length mirror. Just the same as Chic, bath gel and shampoo are provided.

My experience was 95%, the last 5% being this cat that lives outside Chic room window and refused to stop meowing! It woke me up just when my dream was getting good, and that happened quite a few times in one sleep. Other than that, everything was great.

As some have mentioned before, Karan's an amazing host and chef! His cooking is excellent and the amount served was generous! My mum is a vegetarian and he replaced all the meat and seafood in his dishes with tofu.

On the last day of our stay, he brought me upstairs to show me the little garden he had designed on the 2nd floor! [See the pictures!]

I would definitely recommend this to people who seek a comfortable and reasonably priced location. The breakfast alone is worth the amount you pay and the trouble of finding your way back after going sightseeing/shopping!

Room Tip: Ask Karan to recommend a room! When I mentioned that my mum had weak knees, he recommended the ones...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank tammyhana
Management response:Responded June 27, 2012

Thank you very much for writing a review for us. We're glad to hear that you and your parents had a good time at Focal Local. Hope we'll have a chance to accommodate you again. Kob Kun Krub :)

Reviewed June 17, 2012

Wanted to like it, cute name, nice décor and excellent ratings but spoiled by other places perhaps. Their large room was the size of smaller rooms at other bed and breakfasts and the shower was a small squared off curtain in the corner of the bathroom. Left early and booked at the Hansaah. (Much Better)

Room Tip: Get the large room, don't expect a nice bathroom.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Evolvingmonkey
Focal-Local, Manager at Focal Local Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2012

Thank you very much for your review. It would help other travellers to get the picture of our place. We are just a small little B&B, our rooms and bathrooms are not large at all. We appreciate hearing that you liked our breakfasts and service. In addition, thank you for mentioning Hansaah B&B. It might be a good option for the travellers...Kob Kun Krub :)

Reviewed June 3, 2012

We just got back from Bangkok today. We stayed for only one night before we flew and loved it!

We have been to Bangkok before and although it's great fun, it can be quite draining and frustrating so Focal Local had the perfect location for us.

We were leaving early in the morning so we would miss breakfast... when we got back from dinner there was a little note and a packed breakfast outside our door! Lovely :)

Only tip - make sure you print out the address in Thai so that the taxi knows where to go... it took a while to find someone who knew where to go from our English address.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sally P
Focal-Local, Manager at Focal Local Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2012

Kob Kun Mak Krub for staying with us, I wish you could stay longer and try our breakfast. Hope we'll have a chance to serve you again for your next Bangkok visit...Take care :)

Reviewed May 29, 2012

Great service, nice breakfast, confortable room, Karam the owner will make you feel so confortable and he is just so helpfull, its a pleasure to stay there. Is well located and you can move around the center of Bangkok :) They do the laundry for good prices, its a safe place. Karam will give you many precious advises about what do in the city.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank andreinita

Thank you very much for the review and for choosing Focal Local as a first start of your trip. I hope you had a safe and fun journey afterward....All the best :)

Reviewed May 28, 2012

Karan and his wife were just the perfect hosts for our first night in Bangkok! We arrived to Bangkok quite early in the morning so our room wasn't ready when we arrived to Focal Local. However Karan told us that we can leave our backbags there and recommended some good breakfast places.
Rooms are in good shape and they are clean. Focal Local isn't in the busiest part of Bangkok wich is really good thing! And it's not that close to Khaosan! However it's really easy to take a riverboat to go explore the city.
Only "bad" thing was that the WiFi didn't work, but there is a computer in the reseption that you can use. Breakfast was really good and I can recommend the Thai style breakfast.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you so much for your review. We're glad that you enjoyed your stay here, even though we're not in the centre of Bangkok. Sorry about the Wi-fi conection, we'll always make sure that it works consistently. Hope we'll have a chance to accommodate you again...Take care :)