“Bargain Basement”
Review of Green House BKK

Green House BKK
Ranked #56 of 728 Bangkok B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 8, 2012

Bargain basement prices are rewarded with below basement service in this shack. The restaurant/bar at ground level looks inviting but as soon as you head upstairs it fast goes downhill. Don't expect air con that works, hot water or a door that closes properly!

When we stayed here, we complained about the lack of hot water and asked to move rooms. We were told there were no more available rooms. When we enquired about a discount, the lady told us they don't do discounts and if you don't like it you can sling your hook as they'll sell the room to someone else! We decided to have a look at other nearby guesthouses but when we said we were leaving later in the evening, they refused to refund the cost of the room.

There are plenty of places in Khao San at this kind of low price and I'd suggest that most are significantly better than this place. Don't bother with it!

Room Tip: Try and get there early before rooms go - some of the rooms they have don't have even the most b...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Chris O

Reviewed December 2, 2012

We spent 3 nights in a Twin Deluxe room. It wasn't bad - clean, very comfortable bed, it was renovated, I think. AC - we couldn't set it up for a certain temperature, so it was always cold with AC on. No view out of the window and no cupboard - so there was no place to put our things. Wi-fi was in the room but it was possible to use it only in the morning - in the evenings there were too many people logging in. In comparison to our friends who chose a room lower standard room (but also with AC) we had luxury.. The other room (almost twice cheaper) was horrible, with terrible smell of mould and fustiness, terrible old bed, dirty old bathroom with leaking tap and toilet - worst room I've ever seen. It's better to pay more and stay in a renovated room (as far as I remember we payed around 700 bht for the twin double). There is also a restaurant downstairs. The food is delicious but expensive. And the location is good if you want to get to know the night life of Khao San Road.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 16, 2012

I never had a chance to stay here. I booked my room online, and sent them my itinerary showing that I was landing at midnight. When I got there at 1 am, they had given my room to someone else... saying that guests need to book in before 9 pm despite having made the arrangements before! Unacceptable and unprofessional behavior and attitude at Green House Hostel.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Tpe_Ken
Reviewed November 7, 2012

I'd arrived in Bangkok after travelling on the night train, alone (I wouldn't), and was walking around the Koh Sao round area at 6am, getting past tired and annoyed at the luggage on my back. I tried a few hotels around the area, but they were either out of my budget, or fully booked.

I stumbled across the Green House BKK and decided to enquire. They had (classically for Bangkok) sold out of their single rooms, so I decided I'd have to bite the bullet and go for a double. As usual, I decided to have a look at the room before booking. It was very basic, just a bed essentially. However, it did have the essentials (in my book), which were air conditioning and a hot shower.

I think I paid around £7-8 for the one night, which was a bit more than I was anticipating but when you're that tired and need rest it's something you have to do.

What was weird (for me, at least) was that they asked you to hand over your passport until the manager is in the building. Also, the suit shop workers seem to run the place through the night, so that is also normal. Plus, if you're lucky I guess, one of the Thai women in the hotel will make a pass for you.

The hotel has a bar and free internet in the lobby, so they are extra perks. I'm presuming that the hotel is being refurbished, and being made less basic, as there was substantial building work being done.

I'm sure that the more expensive rooms would deserve a higher rating, but mine was just a little too lonely.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 30, 2012

I stayed in one of the "deluxe single" rooms on the first floor and thought it was really great. The staff was pleasant enough, the room was small but very clean and comfortable with en suite bathroom. I think this must be the newer part of the hostel because I looked at another room before choosing the deluxe option and it wasn't very nice.
My only criticism is that the cafe area in the back (not the restaurant) is very very hot, they didn't have any fans when I was there. And since the wifi doesn't really work in the rooms this was the most logical place to hang out. At one point I was even told that I couldn't bring in any outside beverages, which I thought was strange considering I was a guest here and only had a water bottle with me.

Room Tip: The rooms seem to be a bit inconsistent throughout the hostel. It's worth it to pay a little bit...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 8, 2012

I stayed 1 week in Greenhouse. The rooms are very small, but it was clean. I had a problem in my first room being electrocuted in the shower because the electric water heater was leaking, but they offered me a new room same night. The bed was good, but the whole week nobody cleaned my room, after asking for 3 days somebody came clean it. There was no view (stone wall) out of the tiny tiny window, which gave the room an 'cell-like' atmosphere. The air-con and fan worked good, overall not too bad :)
In the first room I didn't receive the wifi but the second room I did now and then.
The restaurant downstairs looks nice , but I love local food, and they serve tourist food, which may be ok for others but not for me, but at khao San road there are lots of cheap food stands.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Daphne T
Reviewed August 14, 2012

I stayed in room #1, which was just built. We could not get WIFI in our room. The beds were great, had our own bathroom (drain did not drain but we had TP), the AC awesome but it was loud due to the partiers in the street. There is an open air restaurant below that is a great place to see and be seen. There is a travel desk in the hotel and they can arrange any trip you want but, hours are limiting though. We did book our ride to the airport for 150 BHT.

There is free WIFI there.

Great price for what you get.

Ram Buttri St is a sexy place. Walk up and down the road and across the street to the other end of the St to see some great shopping etc.

Room Tip: they let you see the room before you book it. Also they let you keep your bags there in an open area...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends