“"prison" room hostel - but cheap”
Review of Green House BKK

Green House BKK
Ranked #61 of 741 Bangkok B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 11, 2011

the first impression of the hostel was actually good, first we saw the nice looking restaurant and lounge, so we checked in. the room was dark, smelly and a bit dirty. we didnt even had a blanket, we only got a duvet cover with dolphins on it ^^ it looked like a cover from a 5 year old girl. a stone would be softer then the mattresses in "prison" room. only bars on the windows were missing ;-) but not everything is bad at Green House, the Restaurant does tasty food and the prices of the rooms are also very ok.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 8, 2011

Our aircon double room was passably clean, but had a very unpleasant mildew smell and the drain in the shower smelled awful. The stairs up to our level were uneven and one was a huge stretch - not pleasant as I had a damaged knee. The wifi doesn't work in the rooms and was down for 2 days while we were there. Our room had a window which looked out on to the broom corridor. i tried not to think what would happen if there was a fire and we needed to get out - exits were few and far between and not signposted. The doors are very thin and we kept getting woken up by people coming back from the bars at all hours.

We booked train tickets with the travel agent downstairs by reception, and when our train was cancelled because of the floods, we had to go to the station ourselves to get refunds for the fare part of the price, and they refused to refund the substantial commission they had taken

Restaurant had good coffee, though..

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kiwisailorgirl
Reviewed September 30, 2011

Great location and price, nice atmosphere (*everything but the room, that is*). The cheap price still wasn't low enough, though, for me to ever consider checking in that place again. The room smelled really, really bad after a full day of cooking from the restaurants below. Very hot (a fan only room up 7 flights of stairs) and stuffy, noisy from the live bands downstairs in the bar and a very small space with no sink in the "bathroom", but even all that is tolerable. It was the 2" cockroaches with the huge antennae (I will upload pics soon) that scuttled under the mattress was what made me check out at 10 pm and go looking for something better before even sleeping there a night.

And to top it off, when I checked out that evening, I was told it would be fine to get my money back from having prepaid for the next night as well (big mistake -- always pay 1 night only to see if you like the place). I didn't have my receipt with me when checking out due to having packed so quickly to get the hell out of there and said I'd bring the next morning, and I was told that would be ok.
The next day I was told I WOULDN'T be getting my money back at all. Suddenly it was their "policy" to not refund any money back for nights paid for even if you check out early. Said because I had seen the room before booking (true, but the giant roaches must have been under the bed, and as it was early morning, there wasn't the heavy stench of stale cooking in the room) that I knew what I was getting. I argued about it and was finally offered about half the amount back.

The desk staff I spoke to (after 10 am on Saturday) was utterly indifferent and unfriendly. The management there seems to like your money but couldn't care less about you. There are better places for the same amount or slightly more (but worth it). Another thing is the "free wi-fi" does not work in the rooms, at least not on the floor I was on.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank lanna1111
Reviewed September 28, 2011

This place was a good base for travelling around Bangkok and was close enought to Koh Shan without being right in the action. The room was very small, but reasonable for the price (we were there in low season, so was cheaper than the high season price). We had a twin room away from the road which meant it was quite quiet.

The serive at reception was good and the travel desk was helpful when we were booking onward travel.

The food at the restaurant and cafe downstairs was very good. Our only complaint was that we were overcharged for a soft drink that we didn't receive and a member of the waiting staff shouted at us that we had to pay for it. We had to explain the situation to about 3 other waiting staff and the charge was eventually removed from our bill. But it seemed like a big overreaction from the staff, when we were repeat customers spending a large proportion of our money there.

Room Tip: Ask for one away from the main road
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 23, 2011

Hands down the worst place we have stayed in 3 months travelling.. We arrived 5 am so didnt check room first- smelled, aircon poured water on the floor, noise that shakes the walls, cant actually fit past the bathroom door, bugs everywhere, wifi doesnt work. Our room was on top floor so i dont know if elsewhere is maybe better or something cause that would explain any good reviews. My friends mattress was horrific but mine must have been semi new so that was the only ok thing. If it was 200 baht it would be ok but paying nearly 600 for that is ridiculous. There are far nicer places for that money. Annoying cause they have the best cheapest internet cafe and the food is great. I think they refurbished the ground floor but the rest of the building is the pits

Room Tip: Top floor horrific! If ground floor is re-furbished maybe try there
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank Lainey S
Reviewed September 19, 2011

I stayed there in june 2011 for 4 days. the staff is very unfriendly, no laugh, no answer when you say hello. the price for that way is too much because you have a lot of comparable guesthouses in this area with better stuff and even cheaper rooms. I will never come back in this guesthouse and i can not recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Willi S
Reviewed September 7, 2011

We stayed there and we were not happy. We booked in the internet and there they make advertising with "free wifi". This was one reason to go there because we had a lot of things to organize in the internet. But the wifi doesn´t work in the room.
The Girl at the reception was not very friendly and helpfull. The bed was so hard that it was difficult to sleep. The room-Equipment was poor.

Good was the location, only a few minutes from khao San. They also have a nice Restaurant with good Music.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple