“BEST HOSTEL IN BANGKOK”

Rainbow Khaosan Hostel and Guesthouse
Ranked #846 of 1,335 Specialty Lodging in Bangkok
Reviewed October 29, 2013

I stayed at rainbow for just over a month, i loved it here, everything about it exceeded what i expected due to the low price and from reading previous reviews and i really enjoyed my time there.

I had a private room which was clean, comfortable and had pretty much everything a hotel would...a comfy bed, a cupboard for clothing, a decent, powerful, hot shower, a powerful fan, large windows looking onto a peaceful area, plenty of plugs, a toilet, a sink and little things which helped me not to live out of a bag...like hooks on the wall for hanging things which is a small but powerful comfort to any traveler. I was also provided with a key to a private locker (everybody got these regardless of your room type) for free, which i have found most places charge you extra for these. The lockers were situated behind the reception, and with tit being a 24 hour reception, these were guarded at all times. I kept my passport in here and always knew it was safe.

when I arrived at rainbow, a renovation was just being finished, i saw a few of the rooms still to be renovated and let me tell you...the difference is huge. It is so much fresher with new paint new beds etc so it seems i arrived at a perfect time, at the 'dawn of the new Rainbow.'

The staff make this place so much more special and a joy to stay there. Everyone of them always had a smile on their face and were always so helpful, making sure everything was ok for me and assuring me if there was anything at all i needed, just ask. They also arranged buses for me to and from the airport and a few to Cambodia for a visa run which turned out cheaper then any excursion company.

THE FOOD!!!
the food at Rainbow is indian food (they also do thai food through the day but i strongly recommend the indian menu). It was without doubt the best indian food I have ever tried and needless to say....I ate a lot of it, especially seeming i am used to spending 30 pound on something which at rainbow I paid just a few pound. There was also a decent range of alcohol (very cheap) and the bottled water was just as cheap as anywhere i had found.
After you have had all the curry your body can handle, there are loads of great street food vendors within a minutes walk.

Rainbow also does your laundry (for one of the cheapest i have found in Bangkok) which made me feel like i was living at home with my mum again! I would give them my dirty clothes and a few hours later they would arrive clean and folded as if like magic!

the location was great, it was close to Khao san road but tucked around the corner just enough to not suffer from much noise. There is a beautiful temple 2 minutes down the road which is great to visit. About 5 minutes in the other direction is the boat taxi/boat bus stop which gives you access to pretty much everything including weekend market, floating market, sukhumvit and a bunch of nice restaurants and places to visit, especially the ones dotted along the river.A taxi rank is also 30 seconds away which will take you anywhere for very cheap (insist on them using the meter or just get a different taxi).
From the airport, i got a taxi and i cant remember exactly but i think it was about 200 baht/4 British pound and took about 25 minutes so was very reasonable.

on lazy days it was nice to sit in the open front part of restaurant watching films on one of the TVs, they had new films playing 24/7 so when your in the mood for a movie, the restaurant was the place where residents could chill all day and not have to buy anything, although i was partial to the green tea which got filled up for free by the amazing staff!
The restaurant also does very good shisha which i recommend to try at least once.

All in all i had a great stay, and with it being one of the cheapest places in the area, my expectations were far exceeded with comfort, the new renovation, convenient location, amenities, the food and the constant warmness of the staff

I have taken a few pictures of mine and a couple of friends who i met there room and attached them to the review.

I hope this helps you make a choice of accommodation for your stay in Bangkok, I would recommend Rainbow to anyone and everyone (i did to friends who i met when out and about who stayed in different places, they tried Rainbow and stayed there for their duration!)

Big thanks to the staff for giving me a great stay....like the terminator, I'll be back

p.s.
in my rating I have marked the room and sleep quality as 4 simply because it is not a luxury 4 poster bed

Room Tip: if you want a private room, go for 212 for 312
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Rooms are alright for sleeping, we spent there just nights. Helpful and nice staff, good advisors, cheap and good service. Open 24/7. Perfect place, market in front of the hostel, just little bit noisy at night, but it doesn´t matter after busy day. :-) Recommended for budget travellers.

Room Tip: It´s better to have the room with aircondition in the summer, butmold is everywhere of course. In ca...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 20, 2013

Luckily I didn't expect anything after we booked a room in this hostel for less than 5 euro! So the "shock" was not that big anymore. The room was smelly, mouldy, the bed was hard as wood, there were ants all over the bathroom, the toilet didn't have a toilet lid, the flushing tank didnt have a cover, the "A/C" was just a fan on the ceiling... and at first I was really happy that our room was one of the only ones that had a window... but HELL, it was SO LOUD during the night. On the other side of the street there is a karaoke bar and our room was facing the street ... Now I am not so sure if the fact that we had a window was positive when I think about the noise at night.... So until around 4am it is practically impossible to sleep as long as you are not capable of sleeping with noise which I personally luckily am. But other sensitive people might have a huge problem with that!
Would I go back there again? Most likely NOT.
BUT: The location could hardly be better. It is directly located at famous Khaosan Road, 24/7 supermarket in front of the door and the indian restaurant downstairs serves delicious food! The staff is also very friendly. So if you are not willing to spend too much money and if you're used to a lot, give it a try!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

This was the cheapest hostel I found in Bangkok so close too khaosan road. I regularly stayed here during my six months backpacking in and around Thailand.
Ok so it's not the most appealing hostel in Bangkok but its very cheap the toilets and rooms are cleaned every day! The rooms are a tad sticky but not too much more to up grade to an aircon room if sharing.
The staff were always very polite and even helped me out when my cards were stolen letting me use their phone and understanding that I couldn't pay!
So what it's a bit grim, hot and the beds are sqeeky as hell but it's brilliant value and perfect location for the party scene.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

Allright, it's not the best hostel in the world, but if you are looking for something cheap on a good location, this is the place to be. The people are very friendly. The food downstairs is good. And even though the rooms definitely need some updating, it was good enough.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

I booked 3 nights at this hostel for my stay in Bangkok. I am a person that can easily handle dirt and grime, but this was by far the most disgusting room I have ever stayed in. The dirt and grime on the walls was enough for me to pull my bed away from the wall. My sheets were dirty, as was the entire room and bathroom. I ended up cancelling the other two nights- there was no way I would stay here another night. The staff were very friendly, and were happy to refund me for the other two nights. Location is great but not worth it for how dirty this place is.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Pros
- close to Khao San Rd
- the food in the restaurant is good
- cheap

Cons
- Concrete mattresses (might as well sleep on the floor) and the creakiest bed frames ever
- unclean
- worker from hostel seems to live in the cupboard on the corridor - weird
- bathrooms not great - showers are quite terrible
- constantly noisy from traffic outside

Basically, you need a few changs and buckets in your system to sleep in here.
Cheap, but not very cheerful!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends