“Really enjoyable and different Bangkok experience”

Cooking with Poo and Friends
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: One of the most highly acclaimed Thai cooking experiences in Bangkok, Cooking with Poo and Friends is limited to 12 participants to maintain an intimate setting and includes a personal tour through the Klong Toey market to purchase ingredients for the day's menu. The class is hosted by Khun Poo's amazing staff, a group of long-time residents of the Klong Toey slum who have displayed incredible resolve despite personal difficulties. The class is practical, warm, fun, and gives a true taste of Thai culture you'll never forget.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed July 25, 2013

We really enjoyed the trip to the market and cooking session with Poo and her staff. She's a lovely admirable lady, who has achieved a lot for her community and I think the fee for the half day experience is really worth it, as it's quite small for most Europeans but makes a big difference for the Thais.

The trip to the market can be a bit tough for the squeamish, but as we're used to this type of dead animal display we didn't mind, took some great photos and enjoyed the explanations about the fruit and different vegetables on offer. The cooking class which was on a Saturday comprise of some of our favourite Thai dishes, Mussaman curry, which was the best we've ever had, and also Mango sticky rice as dessert, again the best we have tried up to this day.

Overall I would greatly recommend to everyone who is looking to spend half a day away from sightseeing and do something different (and help out the local community in the process).

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Reviewed July 20, 2013

The cooking class today was excellent! The staff was very informative and spoke English very well. The meeting place at the Emporium was easy to find and it was great to see that a coffee shop was available upstairs while we waited since we had not had a chance for breakfast this morning. I especially liked that we could eat our dishes as we cooked them. I also enjoyed tasting the various fruits since I was too intimidated to try them on my own at the street markets. I am excited to try some of the recipes from the cookbook which was reasonable priced. The kitchen and bathroom were kept very clean and the space was very comfortable with plenty of cooking/sitting/eating room for all 10 of us. Khun Poo is such a passionate person and it was our pleasure to have met her. This is a definite must-do for couples, friends, and families with older children (at least 10+) while visiting Bangkok for anyone who loves cooking or even just eating.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

This is not the usual cooking class runs in a hotel or restaurant or commercial kitchen. The session runs at a house in one of the small lanes in Klong Toey. From the booking until the end of the lesson, everything was organised well. Booking and payment was done online. The instructions and tips provided on the email on how to get to the meeting point and what to wear were useful.
The class started with the journey to the traditional market at Klong Toey, it was a great experience, particularly with the first part, visiting the Issan people market which sells a lot of things which are not our usual staple ;-) Khun Poo and her assistant Noi brought few samples for us to try later on.
For my session, we learnt Thai Lemongrass salad, Stuffed Omelette and Massaman Curry. As many have said, the instructions given by Khun Poo and Noi was quite clear despite language. It is easy to understand their English. Every dish that we learnt to make was for us to taste and eat ;-) For those who will be taking this lesson, mind you, come with empty stomach as there are plenty to eat. The whole experience was fun and enjoyable. Khun Poo also shared with us the story on how the cooking school started, how this school has benefitted many others and transformed their lives in Klong Toey (the infamous slum area).
I highly recommend for those who want to learn how to cook Thai food to start with this class. Khun Poo and her team do make it easy ;-)
Another tip is to book this class in advance (few weeks or a month prior). As I left it until I reached Thailand, we could only book one person in our group to go for the lesson and I was the fortunate one to go.

Reviewed July 4, 2013

My husband and I are first time visitors to Bangkok. He planned the Helping Hands: Coooking with Poo experience, I am not much of a cook and didn't know what to expect. Poo's husband picked us up from the Emporium Suites with 2 of her staff, we drove to the Klong Toey fresh markets which was such an amazing unforgettable experience. All of the live animals, beautiful fruits, cooking implements and so much more, one of the staff explained all of the different produce - what it was used for, the Thai and English names, she was very informative, she assisted fellow tourists with purchases from the stalls.
We then continued our journey to the slums, where Poo and her family lives. I was unsure what to expect and it was an eye opening experience walking along the narrow paths to the cooking school, all of the local people and children were very friendly.
The cooking lesson was great for me as a beginner Poo and her staff answered any questions I had. My husband an avid cook was also impressed by Poo and her knowledge of the cuisine. We were inspired by her story and achievements, we hope to here more from her in the future and are sure she will do more great things. We cooked three dishes stir fry noodles with black bean sauce, Thai green curry (which we helped make the curry paste), and beef with cashew nuts all of which were delicious. She gave us the recipes to make again at home, we finished off the cooking experience with mango sticky rice and fruit tasting a great opportunity to try new fruits I wouldn't have considered trying myself. We purchased 3 copies of her cookbook to give to family in Australia.
A definate highlight of our trip to Bangkok, we would recommend to all visiting

1  Thank Olivia W