“Clean and friendly well run budget hotel”
Review of Sunflower Place

Sunflower Place
Ranked #182 of 1,245 Specialty Lodging in Bangkok
“Clean and friendly well run budget hotel”
Reviewed March 10, 2012

First trip to Bangkok with my 3 yr old daughter and I booked a couple of nights here over the net after reading good reviews on different sites. The location is close to patpong but is actually tucked away nicely from all that entails. The rooms are clean with everything in working order and the staff couldn't be more helpful. We booked to stay our last few nights in Thailand here too and were just as happy. Free wifi and air con as well. Recommended for a comfortable budget stay

• Stayed March 2012

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed February 27, 2012

Sunflower Place is located in a dark alley across from a place called "Thai Boys Massage". On my way in on Sunday afternoon (and on my subsequent trip to 7-11) I saw what appeared to be protitutes napping outside, dirty and sad. Welcome to Bangkok. There are neighborhoods that are not like this, so if this makes you as uncomfortable as it made me, I would suggest trying a different area. The broader area of Silom is really convenient to transport and restaurants, so it is just the backstreets that really bothered me.
The hotel itself is awesome. Absolutely perfect budget accomodation- with an elevator! The thing that struck me most was how CLEAN everything was. Spotless. The ladies and gentleman who work the front desk are very helpful, however you may want to go slowly with the older lady as she cannot multi task very well. If she is doing something for someone, please don't interrupt her. That happened to me and she forgot to call my taxi to the train station. Luckily I showed up early enough and reminded her so she could get one in time for me. She usually will ask you to wait while she finishes what you asked for, and that is actually really great so you know everything is done. I do recommend the place, as long as you can handle the dark alley!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank plushkanyc
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed January 13, 2012

We were so happy to stay there--very reasonable price with hotel service! Spacious, clean room with daily cleaning, decent furniture, good wifi in the room also, 2 computers in the lobby, free coffee, tea...and stuff there is friendly. The neighboring street feels a bit sketchy, but totally safe, and great for us as we enjoyed feeling local's life...food court in the back street is great, and they have metro and skytrain stations very close.

Just let's keep the place comfortable for everyone---please follow the rule there, don't bring in guest(s) without talking to the reception.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank minaBA
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 1, 2012

This place is a hostel, so it's cheap. But it also offers good quality hotel rooms in a convenient location. What it doesn't offer is the accoutrements of a 4 or 5 star hotel - no swimming pool, no restaurants, and of course you'll carry your own bags - although there is an elevator. The staff are friendly and welcoming, and there's free water and beverages downstairs near reception, as well as a couple of computers for internet browsing, or you can use wifi in the rooms. In the room, aircon, firm (Thai style) bedding, and an ensuite shower/toilet. There's a balcony as well.
Silom is not everyone's cup of tea, but I like it because it is close to a lot of what Bangkok has to offer - and to the Skytrain, meaning a transfer to or from the airport is fairly quick (I normally take an hour, give or take, door to door, and this is travelling on two BTS services, and the Airport rail link). Finding Sunflower Place can be tricky - it's hidden off Silom Soi 6, but the hotel will send out instructions, so print them out and bring them with you.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Dundas3071
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 19, 2011

This is a great value hotel in an area of Bangkok I have never really stayed before. I arrived late, tired and had had my debit card swallowed by an ATM machine at Bangkok airport (my own fault) The lady on reception could not have been more helpful and understanding and allowed me to use her mobile to phone the UK to cancel the card. I knew I was in a good place from that point on.

Loads and loads of places to eat nearby. Try the covered food court at the end of Naradhiwas Rajanagarindra 1. Best Khao Man Gai I've ever had. 30 baht.

Rooms are spotless, free wifi and terminals in reception if you need them.

Recommended

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Sydney
Reviewed December 12, 2011

My husband and I stayed at this hostel for part of our honeymoon trip to Thailand. Although the recent floods had stopped many Australians travelling to Bangkok, he and I decided to risk it.

Sunflower place offered fantastic communication when it came to confirming our accomodation despite the floods. We had read reviews on HOSTELWORLD.com and had paid only a partial payment, which Sunflower place offered to refund.

Not the most easty to get to, Sunflower place was worth it. We were in a double room with private shower and toilet. The rooms were very clean and quiet at night. We had a balcony but did not use it.

Although we had already booked tours, many were offered through the hostel and were of good pricing.

THe service at the desk was excellent and washing done within 24hrs.

Internet and computers were fast and there were no line ups to use them.

Located near the Potpong markets, it is close to many shops and a few minutes walk to the skyrail. the local tstop is on the same line as MBK.

We had a great time there and would definately stay again!!!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JojoCHSydney
NJ
Reviewed October 19, 2011

We stayed here for two nights in October 2011. The place was very clean and a decent size for Bangkok standards. Location was extremely convenient as it is in a pretty active district but still far enough off the road that it was very quiet in the room. The free water, coffee, and hot chocolate was a plus.

But most importantly was their excellent service. Our friends stayed with us in a separate room and forgot a very important pouch (with a passport!) in the room. When we called from Krabi, the receptionist was extremely helpful in tracking the pouch down and mailing it to a place where we can pick it up. A+ for that service!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple