“Skip in favor of The National Museum Bangkok (If your time is limited)”
Review of Museum of Siam

Museum of Siam
Ranked #98 of 573 things to do in Bangkok
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed January 11, 2014

If your time is limited, skip the Museum of Siam in favor of the HUMONGOUS National Museum Bangkok (which is worth about half a day or at least an entire morning or afternoon as its like the Smithsonian complex and easily one of the best museums in Asia). I can't recall for sure whether some portions of the Museum of Siam were being remolded while I was there (I think it was but they were also building the subway or something in the area when I was there and that may have me confused).

However, I do remember the museum was rather average (better than many other museums in Asia as there were alot of interactive exhibits as well but not overly impressive either) and the curators or their PR people got a little too creative with the narration and interactive exhibits as they tried to tell a story but the story line sort of fell flat - at least with me...

Otherwise, I mainly went because I had seen most of the main attractions on my previous trip to Bangkok - meaning this trip was to see museums and things that I missed or were closed because it was during the floods that hit the city that one year.

So if you have already seen much of Bangkok or just want to spend time in some place that's air conditioned, then the Museum of Siam would be worth a visit. Also, be aware that crowds of school children will also be visiting during the weekday.

1  Thank EmergingMarketSkptc

Reviewed January 6, 2014 via mobile

The museum of Siam is enjoyable if and when you take it upon yourself to learn. The studying has to be done by you. That being said the lay out of the rooms and periods is engaging and provides for easy learning. I didn't spend a lot of time there so by no means did I capture even half of what would have been possible.

The adjacent cafe has a decent selection but the wait for food would be an hour - which can easily mean more - so we got just a drink.

1  Thank FlowerPetalBlooming
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Was quite impressed by the wealth of information packed into the museum. The entire history of Siam was laid out concisely and professionally in an engagingly high quality presentation. Wonderful blend of models, multimedia and artifacts.

3  Thank Loewan
Reviewed January 2, 2014

My brother and I visited this lovely museum and were very impressed with the interesting and interactive way the museum presents Thai history and culture. The building itself is a beautiful, old government building that has been converted into a private museum with a lovely grassed area that occasionally hosts markets and live bands. It's a great place to wander around for an hour or so and it's located just down from Wat Pho. Last time I went, the price of admission also included several other museums and art galleries around Rattanakosin area in the same ticket, so it's good value for money and gives you a chance to see other lesser known places.

1  Thank SamDesh
Reviewed December 31, 2013 via mobile

I was surprised at how much is packed into such a small museum. The exhibit spaces comprise two and a half floors part of which is a movie theater. But in those spaces are many interactive features packed with information about the history of Thailand and the region. And everything is presented through storytelling.

1  Thank Chris D