“old but acceptable hotel close to BTS station”
Review of Parkway Inn

Parkway Inn
Ranked #245 of 677 Bangkok B&B and Inns
Singapore
“old but acceptable hotel close to BTS station”
Reviewed June 27, 2011

I have stayed here more than once. I suspect most of their clientele are repeat customers - during one breakfast I met an old Australian tourist who told me about being present for its opening some 20+ years ago. So, yes, this is not a "new" hotel.

I find myself quite ... amused by the "1970s" and not-totally-professional feel to the place; e.g. the picture of the breakfast on offer I saw posted on the lift was one of those taken with a film camera (i.e. pre-digital), put up with tape. The breakfast (this was before there was a "sandwich" option) would be the "english breakfast" - 2 rashers of bacon, 2 eggs, 2 slices of toast with butter and marmalade, orange juice + tea/coffee; I was further amused it was listed as "available all day" (I suppose you could theoretically wake up in the afternoon and demand breakfast, though I've never done it before; perhaps for any hard-drinking guests?).

The clothing store on the ground floor is I'm told run by the owner of the hotel, hence the "sharing". If you've luggage to move the staff will have a key that allows the lift to go all the way to the ground floor (the limitation of stopping at the 2nd floor is to prevent "guests" skipping out by evading the reception, I suppose?).

Some of the rooms are definitely better than others, but unless the hotel is full the staff would be happy to move you (I've done this before).

I'm not sure about the earlier poster's assertion there are many 4 star hotels available for the price nearby (about 1300+ baht) - certainly not at a very short (1, maybe 2 minute) walk to Nana BTS station; e.g. I have stayed across the street at another hotel at the same price with much smaller rooms (door opens almost onto the bed). The hotels I've seen that I would say are unequivocally better have either worse locations or are more expensive. Anybody with specific recommendations, I'd be happy to hear? (everybody wants a better deal). I suppose this place could be cheaper... One place I know will be suggested is Majestic Suites, which is basically next door - well, (a) rooms range from slightly more expensive (but smaller) to much more expensive (2000+ baht), and (b) hotel is nearly always full (which makes the question of whether it is better redundant if you're in need of a room).

Also, one thing that's been important to me - the free internet access has always worked well every time I've stayed here; also, it simply relies on a "password" to connect to the wireless network, and is not one of those systems where you connect first, then are challenged for a username/password upon trying to load any web-page, which is a system I find often causes problems for various network services.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank weileongtan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Cape Canaveral, Florida
Reviewed November 18, 2010

My wife and I stayed here for a few nights and were to meet a friend from England the following day. We confirmed his reservation upon our arrival. He arrived as scheduled the following day, but were told by the receptionist they were full, upon check-in. We kindly asked the onsite owner(Middle Easterner) and he very rudely told us "No rooms" and hand gestured "go away". We tried 3 other hotels nearby, before finding a room for our friend. This was only the clincher for us, as we have a long list of things about this dump they call the Parkway Inn. The rooms are very old, crusty and outdated. The bathrooms were filthy and fixtures didn't work. We had the free breakfast sandwich at the lobby bar, prepared by the old bar-girl with the cigarette dangling from her mouth. It was about 8am and she was already tipsy, soliciting lady drinks from customers. We are frequent visitors to Bangkok and there are much better hotels nearby in the same price range. We only stayed here because our normal hotel was full and we took this on short notice.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
6 Thank GoneFishing58

Travelers are raving about these Bangkok hotels

Reviewed September 2, 2010

stayed at the parkway because my usual hotel the majestic suites 50 yards away was full. The entrance is jointly used with the tailors on the ground floor. On arrival you have to take the small lift to the next floor to reception. The staff are friendly enough and check in was quick. No bell boy to help with bags. The room itself was probably 25 years old-very old and gloomy. The bath had no plug so a shower was the only option-the bed linen was old and crusty and the carpet stained. The cheese on toast in the morning was quite filling and the free glass of orange juice was nice and cool On leaving the room you can only go down to reception on the first floor,then you take the stairs to the ground floor-where there is normally someone waiting to make and sell you a suit . The hotel boasts of newly renervated rooms-i can asure you the only thing that is new in this hotel is the free bottle of water you get each day-for bt1500 a night there are plenty of 4 star hotels nearby-with luxuries like bell boys and swimming pools-avoid at all costs

• Stayed July 2010