“Was that real?”

Ranked #773 of 1,245 Specialty Lodging in Bangkok
Bo'ness, United Kingdom
“Was that real?”
Reviewed November 22, 2013

I've arrived early in the morning. Spoke to the guy asking if I can keep my backpack at their hostel as I had a half day trip to floating market booked. There was not a single issue with that.
After my half day trip I came back and checked in. Left my staff in the room and went to explore the area. I have met some good people and it was 1am when I got back to hostel.
I wanted to get in touch with my friends back at home so I have tried to connect to their free WIFI. nothing has been found apart of some week signal from pubs located near the hostel, so I went down to reception asking if there's any problem with their connections. The guy didn't really speak english so I took him to my room and show him what my problem is. He told me that I need to wait and he'll sort it for me. Something like 10 minutes passed when I went to see what's going on. I found guy at reception, playing a game on computer. When I asked him what's happening with my issue, he just say that he doesn't know. I have tried to connect near their router and it worked so I suggested that he maybe moves me to other room which is closer to reception because my room was very last on the firs floor. Guy says he needs to call his boss and he did. He spoke to him for couple of minutes and then handed the phone to me. So once again I explained what's wrong and I was really surprised when the guy on the other site of the phone started to swear saying that it's not his problem and that why did I wake him up. At that stage I tried to explain him, that as a owner of hostel, it should be his problem when guests do not get what they pay for. Guy started to be even more rude so I told him that I do not want to stay with them anymore. I asked him to fully refund what i paid for the room as I spend only 15 minutes of the day in it. I was told that he is not going to give me my money back for that night and at that time he was constantly swearing. I hung up, took my backpack and money and I left. The bonus was a rat which passed me by at the reception when I was leaving.
I have really never met anybody like this.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Korean first
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 21, 2013 via mobile

Arrived really early at 4.30, but the guy kept saying just wait till 7 and then it was 8-9-10 and finally we got put in a room, which was horrible. Too hot, dusty and not fully covered to the ceiling, so you could hear everything in the hall. It was dark and dingy and didn't feel safe at all. The bathroom is too far away from the room.

People checked out hours earlier and they didn't even make an effort to get the room made up for us quickly, when we had been on a long bus journey with no sleep.

The worst place I have stayed whilst travelling around Asia and I have been in my room for 5 minutes and haven't even slept in the bed yet.

Stayed October 2013

Travelers are raving about these Bangkok hotels

Ko Pha Ngan, Thailand
Reviewed September 28, 2013

We stayed at Charoendee the first day we arrived in Thailand after an 11hr flight so we were pretty exhausted when we finally managed to make it to Khao San Road without riding any taxi.
We had not booked anything in advance for our trip so our first goal was to find a cheap guest house on Khao San Road as soon as possible and arrived at Khao San around 7:30 in the morning so the road was quite empty and we served as welcome "victims" for the masses of touts around there - easy to spot with our too-warm-for-bangkok-clothing and backpacks. These guys had been so annoying that we just escaped into the next best guest house we saw which was Charoendee or at least their sign.
First impression was that staff were very friendly and helpful and the site was quite clean. We asked for a room and they told us they had only one left and and also offered to let us take a look at the room first which we did and afterwards decided to stay. A staff member insisted on spraying air freshener and/or insect spray under the beds before we could step inside.
The room was on the ground floor, had a/c, an ensuite bathroom with warm shower and cost around 500 Baht. It was right next to the always open entrance to the guest house and had two windows with wooden blinds and battered, dusty curtains. Overall the room was in a poor condition but I expected something far worse for the price so that was fine. At least it was relatively clean. We chose not to inspect the beds closely but put the pillows away and spread our own silk sleeping bags and travel pillows on the linen that had only few (2-3) small and light stains on the upside. Mattress comfort was ok. Our toilet was broken and didn't flush at all. We reported to the woman at the reception desk and she told us she's sorry but there won't be anybody around to fix it until late at night and offered to use their snack shop toilet next to the reception that was close by our room. In the end my friend fixed the sealing gasket in the toilet tank herself. She had to do this again after every flushing. Noise level in the evening/at night was acceptable for staying directly by Khao San. At some point in the night they close a metal gate in the aisle that connects the guest house to the road. I did not feel unsafe. Unlike some other people here we did not get any lock for our room but had brought our own anyway. I didn't even know they had locks to hand out to guests and thought this might be normal.
After all Charoendee was totally fine for the first night regarding the low price in a popular spot but only if you have low expectations and can deal with a few stains and rusty bathroom facilities. The patio by the entrance was a quiet and nice place to relax and have a cold drink whenever we came back from Khao San chaos. They have a 24hr reception. I would consider staying there again if there is no better option on Khao San at their price level.

Room Tip: Bring a sleeping bag and a lock!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank NeonX
Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

In the middle of Khao San Road. I came back from Koh Tao.Cheap hostel Clean enough.Wifi in the room free and have coffee and toast in the morning I stayed one night and went home.help me save my money.

• Stayed August 2013
London
Reviewed August 13, 2013

This place was a little tricky to find, just keep an eye out for a small dull yellow sign, you have to cut through a market stall to get there.

The rooms were literally decorated in UPVC slats from a shed and were about the same size as one. On the upside with the fan on the room was nice and cool and the place was clean.

It is a good cheap option for a private on Khao San Rd.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Charoendee was our first hostel in Thailand and it was absolutely fabulous. The double room we booked was simple and clean, breakfast, although only toast & coffee was the tastiest toast and coffee I have had in my life and the location was very close to Khaosan road, but enough set back for someone who didn't want to join the party. We were there during Songkran and had a blast! We popped onto Khaosan, enjoyed ourselves with the staff of the bar that's right next to the hostel for a few hours and went back. We would kindly like to thank the staff for making our stay so special.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Surfers Paradise, Australia
Reviewed June 13, 2013

When we arrived in Bangkok we wasn't sure where we wanted to stay so done some reading in the rough guides book. We come across this place and it was based in Khao San Road which was described as the budget travellers area. We got a cab from Phaya Thai station and got ripped off. Always make sure you negotiate a cost for the entire group as they do you over by giving you a quote then when you get in or get to your destination they say the quote was for one person!

The guesthouse was located about half way down Khao San road and it was situation down a little alley so away from the noisy street. The staff were really friendly and it was a reasonable 400baht a night.

The room itself was literally that... a room... with a bed.. and a ceiling fan. They were clean and comfortable though and thats all we are really looking for. The shared bathroom was not the best and probably could have done with another one. It was really small and the sink was not plumbed in so there was always a mess in there. However it had hot water and a flushing toilet so ignoring the rest it was fine for a few days.

Breakfast was included and consisted of some toast and a tea or coffee from 7-11am. The staff would bring it all over to you which was a nice touch.

Khao San Road itself is a brilliant place to stay for backpackers as it is buzzing all night and day. Packed with bars, eateries and lots of market stalls it makes for a great stay in Bangkok. This guesthouse is ideally situated right in the centre of the action and is a friendly, family run place. If you don't mind living with just the basics then this is a great place to stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple