“One of the best hotels”

The St. Regis Bangkok
Ranked #13 of 889 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stayed 7 nights with wife and 3.5 old daughter at the St. Regis Bangkok in the St. Regis Suite.

I generally do quite an extensive research on hotels in the location where I'm staying. In Bangkok there are so many 5 star hotels that it's difficult to choose. However checking out other reviews on Tripadvisor and looking at the pictures, many of the hotels are getting rather dated. I like the modern design hotels and the St. Regis was the only one that qualified (checked out the Peninsula, Mandarin Oriental, Shangi-La amongst others). I've made the right choice!!.

I liked everything about the hotel, room was very spacious and well equipped with beautiful design. Gym has all the needed equipment (I'm a "sports freak") As others already mentioned, location is ideal having the Sky Train at the 2nd floor of the hotel. With Bangkok being such a busy city, the SkyTrain is THE way of transport across the city.

We arrived early and hotel personnel made all efforts to prepare the room prior to the official check-in time (15:00 pm) and they also gave us a late check out. From the minute we arrived until our departure the stay staff was helpful and did their best to make our holiday as comfortable as possible. They really made the difference.

Improvements??? Only thing I can think of is the (orange) juice during breakfast. Think it gets mixed with canned juice to make it taste a bit sweeter or some suger is added. Maybe people generally prefer that? During In Room Dining I specifically asked for fresh pressed orange juice and I did get it. Perhaps something to consider as option for breakfast as well. Considering that that was the only improvement I can think of, it says enough about the quality of the hotel and our enjoyment.

Next time we're in Bangkok, we will definitely stay at the St. Regis again.

Room Tip: Would book the room early as the rates are cheaper and go for the Suite. Good rates for the Suites c...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank kimvh73

Reviewed November 5, 2012

We had a very unpleasant stay at St. Regis Bangkok recently. Four of us booked 2 Executive Deluxe rooms for 27th – 30th October 2012. We were extremely disappointed to find out at check-in, none of our simple requests were met. Prior to arrival, we emailed the hotel to make the following arrangement:

1. 2 connecting rooms
2. Twin beds in both rooms
3. Late check-out

I am sure everyone will agree that these are not over the top or unreasonable requests especially when we are talking about St. Regis, a top notch hotel. They were infact rather basic requests. We received positive email confirmation from the butler and sales manager.

Three of us have stayed at St. Regis Singapore on separate occasions and all had a wonderful experience. So we arrived with excitement and fully looking forward to a fabulous stay ahead but only to be met with a disastrous check-in encounter. At check-in, we were first told there were no connecting rooms followed by no late check-out. Imagine our sheer frustration when all we heard was “No, no and no” especially when we had email confirmation saying otherwise. We refused to check in to our rooms and asked to speak to the sales manager. Ten minutes later, we did not meet the sales manager to our disappointment but the front desk officer told us we could have the late check-out but the connecting rooms were not available. Instead, they offered us 2 rooms opposite each other. We tried to be nice and thought perhaps for this room category, there were no connecting rooms. We checked with the front desk officer and she said so hence we let the case rest as there was no point beating a dead horse. The officer also pointed out that our butler mentioned on email they will give us adjoining rooms which was different from connecting rooms. Here’s a kind English lesson from the hotel – adjoining rooms simply means side by side and not connecting. Pardon our English but when we asked for connecting rooms and the email reply simply said adjoining rooms without any further explanation, we took it that both adjectives mean the same thing. We were proved wrong obviously. English aside, the hotel had failed to give us the adjoining rooms they promised. Not to prolong our unexpected annoyance further, we accepted the rooms opposite to each other. Throughout the whole session at the front desk, we also had to struggle with an officer who did not have good English competency. I fully understand English is not the first language in Thailand but when you are in St. Regis, the last thing you should worry about is a language issue!

Just as we were all ready to put our disappointment behind us, a new wave of frustration set in right away. We reached our rooms only to learn a new meaning to the word “opposite” which to the hotel means 4 doors away from the other room. Upon entering the room, we saw a king bed to our utmost disappointment. We asked for twin beds before we flew out and how hard is it to understand this basic request? One cannot believe but ask how hard could this be, really??!!?? We were in St. Regis Bangkok for goodness sake, not some far flung backward city! We were so close to simply walking out to the Four Seasons next door or the Grand Hyatt further down the street. We called the front desk and they sent a senior butler, Mr. X (Paron Piya-A-Roon) who was very nice and empathised with our bad fortune. We told him this was just unacceptable and we had wasted way too much time sorting out the rooms when we had everything confirmed prior to arrival. We decided to proceed with our itinerary so we told him we would be back at 630pm and they should have the right rooms ready by then. One would have expected the hotel to offer a complimentary room upgrade for making their guests go through such a continuous chain of hiccups but no, this did not happen.

When we returned in the evening, Mr. X was waiting for us and brought us to our new rooms. When we entered the room, guess what was the first thing that greeted our eyes? A connecting door to the next room! Didn’t the front desk officer tell us this room category has no connecting rooms? Obviously, she did not understand us when we asked the question at the front desk which brings me back to the English competency issue mentioned earlier. The twin beds were there and the rooms were opposite each other in the right manner this time. We requested Mr. X to check for connecting rooms and were unfortunately told we had to pay an additional THB16,000 per room night (SGD640 or USD520) as only the suites have availability. We were paying THB6,000 (SGD240 or USD200) a room night so to pay more than double additionally just for connecting room was ridiculous. We feel this was a really simple request and it was pure bad planning by the hotel that let us down. The connecting door became an eyesore as every time we walked past it, we felt the disappointment all over again.

We had pre-booked our 60-minutes in-room massage for the first night through email. The hotel has accommodated our request for 1030pm whereby their last session was 10pm. This was a nice gesture. From the first email to the arrival of the masseurs, we were not told of the massage nor pricing choices so we thought it was standard pricing based on the duration. Next morning, we wanted to be sure so we checked with the front desk and to our annoyance, we were charged the most expensive option! The front desk told us to speak to the spa desk. We learnt subsequently the 60-minute massage ranges from THB3,500 to THB5,800. I had a foot massage which had only one pricing option so no issue with that. My friends wanted Thai massage which cost THB3,900. The price difference was SGD76 or USD62 before taxes. We explained the situation to the spa desk officer who told us she would speak to the manager to have the charges amended. We would expect such a stunt from seedy low-grade joints but definitely not from reputable hotels like St. Regis. We felt terrible. The next morning, we dropped by the front desk to ensure the bill has been revised. It was not but we were no longer surprised anymore at this stage. So, we had to go through another round of explanation. Seriously, it should not be this difficult. We were glad it was our last day as our patience was running narrowly thin.

We also found the housekeeping standard not up to par. On the second night, my friend found a new toothpick on the couch. The toothpick wrapper was from a restaurant we had not visited hence we knew for sure it was left behind by the previous guest. The tissue box in my bathroom was not topped up and ran out on the third morning. On the second day, the rubbish bin by the writing desk was not fully emptied. There should be 4 glasses, 2 tall and 2 short in each room. The used short glasses in my room were not replaced on the second day. They merely took away the used glasses without replacing with 2 new ones. All these pointed to shoddy housekeeping standards not expected from a first class hotel. One other thing to mention which was not major but would be expected of a top hotel – the electrical cord of the hair dryer remained as I had left it on Day 1 instead of being nicely coiled up.

The complimentary coffee and tea service was good. I particularly enjoyed the cappuccino and my friend liked the black coffee too! The staff at the main entrance was lovely. They were always polite, efficient and full of smiles. Twice we returned during the day to request them to bring our many shopping bags to our rooms as we continued on to our next destination. The bags were neatly placed in our room and the request to have the food bag put in the fridge was also adhered to. One of them was Mr. Teerapon and another was a lady whose name we did not manage to get.

Our room included breakfast. The food was alright but the spread was not fantastic. On the third day, Eggs Benedict came to mind. We did not expect this would be included but asked nonetheless. To our glee, they did serve it so we ordered 2 portions. Mine was disappointing as the egg yolk was totally overcooked like a hard-boiled egg. The best part of having Eggs Benedict is to cut through the egg and see the yolk oozing out. Unfortunately, it was only disappointment that oozed out that morning. We were rushing for time hence I did not ask for a fresh portion. I am not sure which is more disappointing – to be told they did not serve Eggs Benedict or be served a poorly cooked one. Not all the waiting staff in the restaurant spoke English so there goes another demerit point. There is one waitress worth mentioning. Her name is Pavika. She remembered our orders for coffee and juices from the day before which made us feel special. It is extra touches like this that set top hotels apart from the pack.

On the last day, we returned to the hotel in the afternoon for the late check-out. We were flabbergasted to find out the room keys were not working. The front desk failed to program the late check-out into our keys. I was in urgent need of using the bathroom and was thankful to find a housekeeping staff nearby who opened the door for us. To sum it all up, it was an awful experience from start to end when we had expected the best.

Room Tip: Triple confirm all requests on email prior to arrival, even then this may not guarantee the hotel fo...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
11  Thank maychong
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Fabulous hotel experience! Deserves every star! Amazing breakfast buffet!
I travelled in Bangkok for three days on business. I was upgraded to the apartment in the Residences and the space was bigger than my two bedroom London flat. The rooms were spotless and comfortable. A fruit basket and a top of the line Nespresso machine were included! The butler service was responsive and always helpful. Turndown service was great and they left some beautiful and tasty marzipan like (except filled with bean paste) miniature fruit instead of the usual chocolate.
I used my SPG points for a Thai massage which was wonderful and helped me to sleep well and overcome the jet lag.
I also used the limousine service from the airport which was over 10 times the price of a taxi but was worth it at the time as I was very pressed for time and had never been to Bangkok before. Traffic in Bangkok is unbelievably bad. I took a taxi back to the airport which was more than adequate. The St Regis is located on the Bangkok Sky Train line so it is possible to get around by public transport as well. The hotel is located very centrally for shopping malls and restaurants.
I paid a little over £200 a night including breakfast and free internet. It was a great deal. This hotel stay was memorable and worth every pence. I intend to return here on holiday.

Room Tip: I had Room 2405 in the Residences. It was a large one bedroom apartment-Nespresso machine, refrigera...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 3, 2012

My wife and 18 month old daughter and I stayed for 2 nights and loved every minute of our time at the St. Regis. Even before we travelled, the concierge returned emails, answered questions and booked a babysitting service for us. We know this is standard for most hotels and especially Starwoods, but they took it a step further when we arrived.
As we got out of our taxi, our bags were taken immediately and we were personally welcomed and guided to the elevator to go up to check in. At check in they informed us that we had been upgraded thanks to our SPG membership and confirmed that our babysitting service was booked. Then one of the staff came by the desk to hand our daughter a teddy bear and welcome us to the hotel. My daughter still walks around with the bear all day long and the gift was a great first impression (we named the bear Regis).
The teddy bear was just the beginning.....when we were personally taken to our room, we noticed that the baby crib was set up and that there was a baby bath tub, baby shampoo, a child's toothbrush and toothpaste, and even a bottle sanitizer already waiting for us in the room!!! We didn't tell them how old our daughter was, so they just prepared for a younger baby, but the effort and gesture blew us away.
I have never experienced a staff as willing and eager to help provide us with directions, restaurant choices, tourist advice (what to watch out for), transportation, etc. We felt like we had been staying at the hotel for a month with as many friendly encounters that we had with the staff in every area of the hotel.

The location is great with easy access to the Skytrain from inside the hotel. The food and breakfast was excellent as well. The only negative we can think of is that the automated lighting in the room was a little difficult to operate, but that could just be user error.

I would highly recommend the St. Regis and if we are ever back in Bangkok, we will be staying there.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 1, 2012

With all the St Regis I stayed around the world, this was the most disappointed stay. Booked a Grand Deluxe Room for 5 nights which were supposed to be rooms facing the Royal Sports Club. Was not given a Grand Deluxe Room upon checking in until I complained but had to wait for another 2 hours until 5:30pm before the room was available. Although they comp me drinks while waiting by the pool side, I was upset with the front desk not telling me the room I booked was not available and tried to get by without telling me.
The room was fine except the bathroom was one of the smallest I've seen for a St. Regis standard with both sinks having problems with the drain. The next morning at 9am we were waken by loud banging and hammering sound. I complained to the front desk and they told me they were renovating the pool directly below my room. I requested them to either stop the noise or change my room as we like to sleep-in the morning and will be very disturbing to be waken up at 9am for the next 4 mornings. I waited for a reply and no one called back and the hammering continued. After 1.5 hours and making 2 more calls, front desk finally told me the GM confirmed that the work will stop at 2pm and they will not have any noise in the morning during the rest of my stay. The noise stopped for a day but started again the 3rd and again on the 4th morning but at a much lower noise level which I did not bother to waste my time to make more complain as it was hopeless and we had better things to do.

The location was excellent with the BTS station connected directly to the hotel but incidents like this is annoying when you know the hotel management could of done something to address the problem. If I did not had prepaid my room, I would of left and gone to another hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank EAU797
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Last night of honeymoon splurge. Worth it, gorgeous lobby, rooms, and pool area. Butler service was nice, check-in was done in our room. My husband had ordered champagne for us on arrival, and the hotel included a small cake, flowers, and a nice note from the butler congratulating us. We had dinner at JoJo, which was very good. Complimentary glasses of champagne were provided for us at the beginning of dinner in honor of our honeymoon, which was a nice touch. The other restaurants also looked good and we wished we had time to try them all. When we returned to our room from dinner, a bubble bath had been prepared for us. We also splurged on car service to and from the airport, which was wonderful (especially at 4 am when we were leaving). Our room had a good view of the city and of the sports complex. We were here less than 24 hours, but it was a great way to end the honeymoon.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 29, 2012

My stay at St. Regis Bangkok was everything you would expect from what is probably the best hotel in Bangkok. The room was big and luxurious. The butler service was prompt, thoughtful and made the stay very unique from the usual 5 star hotel experience. The rest of the staff were excellent as well. Location is very convenient; just walk through the hotel and it is connected to an BTS skytrain station without every needing to walk outside. I would highly recommend staying here if you have the chance.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business