“The service I've come to expect from St. Regis”

The St. Regis Bangkok
Ranked #14 of 879 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed September 20, 2012

The St. Regis prides itself on impeccable service, and it's Bangkok location is no exception. A few notes:

Location:
The location seemed fine. It's connected to the light rail system.

Room:
Our room was very spacious, clean, and tastefully decorated.

Breakfast:
It was fine. I'm rarely blown away by hotel breakfast offerings, although this one was probably better than most.

Service:
Outstanding, as always. No request is too small.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for The St. Regis Bangkok

Reviewed September 18, 2012

The facilities at the St Regis is great - new, clean, spacious. It's is reasonably conveniently located in BKK, 10-15 min walk to Central World or you can take the Skytrain, one stop to Siam where you can transit to other lines or head to Paragon. So for those who are in BKK for a short time, this location is not bad. The decor of the rooms are also very nicely done - a good combination of Thai and Western aesthetics. The only drawback is that the marble floor gets very slippery when wet and I almost fell a couple of times (it was rainy season in Thailand).

There is much left to be desired on the service front. My colleague and I shared a hotel car to the hotel. The driver was excellent, but once we got there, things started to fall apart. We had booked two rooms and the hotel showed both of us into one room after we told them we had two rooms reserved - maybe they didn't understand our English. I was asked to wait in my colleague's room as the hotel sort things out, which was a bit inconvenient for my colleague and I as we both wanted some privacy after a few hours on the plane plus an one-hour drive from the airport.

When I was shown to my room, it was a lot smaller than my colleagues even though we paid the same price and was the same level in SPG membership. I asked about that and the hotel said, you have a (partial) view of the sports club - which my colleague had - hence smaller room and no more rooms available, which I found it difficult to believe. Anyhow the beds are comfortable, that's all it matters.

St Regis prides itself on its butler service, but I was never greeted by the one stationed at my floor -- that's not good for a company that build its brand on this differentiator. And again, doesn't matter as I actually don't like that service.

The thing that really irked me is the food and beverage. Situated in Thailand where you can get a lot of fresh ingredients, the hotel decided to go cheap and use a lot of questionable items. I got some noodles for breakfast and upon tasting it, it was obvious that they used the dried noodles because dried ones can be kept longer. At other hotels, fruits were usually cut up for guests, at the St Regis, guests are expected to cut their own fruits - oranges, dragon fruit, pineapples - basic stuff that won't go brown were left on the plates in whole pieces at the breakfast buffet table, which makes me wonder whether it was a cost saving measure to reduce the amount of food that would be consumed.

But the best has yet to come - there was a lady seated next to me who complained about the orange juice being coming up from a box and that it was too sweet. She was obviously a VIP guest as the restaurant manager went up to her and called her by her last name to see if things are ok. The manager repeatedly told her that the hotel's "Thai and Chinese guests prefer to have their orange juice really sweet" and that is why "we don't use freshly-squeezed juice"! When he repeated that excuse for the second time, I had to interrupt. It defies logic to claim that freshly-squeezed orange juice cannot be sweet. Furthermore, his statement is an insult as he is implying that Thais and Chinese cannot appreciate freshly-squeezed OJ - it's a subliminal form of discrimination. I get fresh and sweet OJ all the time in Asia and the green oranges in Thailand is incredibly sweet. The hotel just need to source them. Upon hearing my objection, the manager requested to take the conversation outside with the VIP guest - who would ask a guest who is in the middle of her meal to go outside?!

Anyhow, this experience is just reconfirms my previous perception of St Regis always out to nickel and dime its customers. It is not that hard to invest a little in Thailand where things are incredibly affordable so that the hotel can do the right thing. Shame on you St Regis!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank cosmic_dot
Holger_Jacobs, Director of Sales and Marketing at The St. Regis Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2012

Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for your feedback and your comments shared here.

It is great to here that you like our central location, the connectivity to the BTS Skytrain system and the decoration of our rooms. We would like to apologize for the misunderstanding upon check-in and the inconvenience caused when you had to wait for your room. We would also like to apologize for the failed Butler Service Delivery. We are currently retraining our team to reassure the importance of the personal greeting of our guests. To answer you comment on the fruits served in our hotel, guests of course do not have to cut their own fruits. Our associates are more than happy to serve to your table the fruits of your choice, cut or uncut. However, it is by far more hygienic to leave fruit uncut as long as possible when on display. We also would like to apologize for the interaction of our associate with one of our guests which you found inappropriate. This does not reflect in any way the competence of our team at VIU and it was the first time that we have received such feedback. The individual involved has already been counseled to ensure the same situation will not happen again in the future. For the Orange Juice itself, different people have different tastes and preferences. Going forward we will have these choices available and it also includes freshly squeezed juices. Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to showcasing our improved services to you.

Reviewed September 18, 2012

Many hotels pride themselves with "5 stars" rating, but not many of these offer a true 5 star experience. The St. Regis in Bangkok is certainly a 5 star hotel.

Our room was beautifully decorated and everything was brand new. Beds and pillows were of the highest quality. Very nice entertainment system where you could hook up your iPod and your PC to the flat screen.

The location of the hotel is one of the best, if not the best in Bangkok. Situated right next to the Skytrain station, you can walk straight to the platform from the hotel. If it is raining outside, you will not get wet when using the Skytrain. The hotel is only one stop from the main shopping centers, Paragon and Central World.

On the day of departure our flight did not leave until 1 AM, and after a long day out in Bangkok it was highly appreciated that the hotel let their leaving guests use the spa to freshen up.

If I had to pick on something, it would be that it took over an hour to get a shirt pressed with your butler which could be inconvenient sometimes. We were in a hurry leaving for dinner, so I had to put on something else.

This is our first encounter with a St. Regis hotel, and will most certainly not be the last. We will definitely stay here next time we are in Bangkok, can't wait to get back!

Feel free to write me if you have any questions :)

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Reviewer,
Thank you very much for your praise in regards to our room and facilities as well as our location in the heart of Bangkok. This is highly appreciated.
For the delayed Pressing Service we would like to apologize. We have already completed an investigation in order to improve the process and the time required.

We look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed September 13, 2012

I'm travelling to Bangkok for business quite often but normally stay at luxury hotels by riverside. As they are now very busy with group travelers, so feel like to escape. Heard from colleague that St. Regis Bangkok located in prime location but privacy, so better give myself a chance, why not?

Upon arrival with exhausted long hour flight, understand that it was a little early but didn't expect no room ready. The staff seemed has neither solution nor explanation. After tried to convince me to wait but I started to tell them that I could walk to stay next door. Immediately was informed that all managers were now in the meeting room but finding me the room immediately. I would give a credit to the staff decided to make decision without supervision, during manager's meeting at mid day.

Couple minutes later, there was a black jacket staff turn back to me and spoke to some Chinese guest who arrived later, hopefully he was just a Chinese speaking staff otherwise I'm immaterial. Put four to the staff but could be zero for management

Not sure if this is a new Oasis or new tourist Trap!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Traveller2000zero
Holger_Jacobs, Director of Sales & Marketing at The St. Regis Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2012

Dear Reviewer,
Thank you very much for your feedback provided here. Whilst our check-in time is officially 3pm as mentioned in all of our booking confirmations, we try to accommodate early arrivals as often as possible. I am happy to hear that our team could provide this for you and hope your stay was a pleasant one.

Amongst other languages, we do have Mandarin speaking staff on board who will look after our guests with less English knowledge.

We look forward to your return in the future and please let us know of your arrival time.

Reviewed September 12, 2012 via mobile

Had stayed there 3 nights with my bf for a short break.

Breakfast serving good varieties of food. You can select different style of eggs and they will deliver to your tabke. I had tried high tea at drawing room and had drink at decanter. Not very impressive and a bit over price.

Location is perfect and with direct access to BRS station. The worst part is most taxi driver don't know this hotel and we need kept said next to four season. They should work harder on promoting their branding.

• Stayed: September 2012

Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for sharing your comments on your recent short break in Bangkok and your praise of our breakfast. We would like to apologize for the experience at The Drawing Room & Decanter which was below your expectations. We have passed this information on to the teams for improvement. For the knowledge of the local taxi drivers (over 100,000 are registered), it is best to mention the skytrain station “BTS Rajadamri” which is located at our doorstep. We look forward to your next break and return visit.

Reviewed September 11, 2012

I am staying at the St Regis the first time, everything is all right until 11pm, recieved 2 telephone calls, a women said sorry and cut the line. twice! Called the butler service, ten minutes no reply. Then called the emergency line, instant picked up, impressive. Promised to lock the line for me until I checked out. Ten minutes later, the phone rings again! Called the operator seems that didn't know what to do! I have stayed in St Regis in USA, and the St Regis in Singapore is the excellent. The St Regis in Thailand has a lot to catch up, the softeware and not the hardware such as the excellent location and beautiful renovation. I stayed in Kempsiki, Okura Prestige, Four Seasons in Thailand, didn't find similar experience.

Stayed: September 2012
7  Thank KL C

Dear Reviewer,
Thank you very much for your comments posted here in regards to the telephone incidents during your recent stay with us. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused and the poor handling of the matter.

This does not reflect in any way the competence of our front office team and it was the first time that we have received such feedback towards the quality and service attitude of our staff. The individuals involved have already been counseled to ensure the same situation will not happen again in the future.

Please allow me to look after your next booking personally in order to regain your trust in our hotel.

Reviewed September 9, 2012

The St. Regis is Bangkok's newest high-end hotel. Located in the Siam/Silom district (Business District) and next to the Four Seasons, the hotel offers an elegant, modern and sophisticated atmosphere as well as a convenient Skytrain station right on the second floor.
Excellent breakfast, average room service.
If you expect to have a "Thai" feeling, you better choose The Mandarin or one of the other hotels located in front of the river, however, keep in mind they are all old, and they might not be as comfortable as the St. Regis.
Great service overall and very nice hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family