“Luxury in Bangkok”

The St. Regis Bangkok
Ranked #13 of 887 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed August 23, 2012

This is a very high class hotel in the high class part of town. The breakfast is fantastic, the pool is cool and the rooms are first class and modern. The reception did it's best, but on our return after a 2 day absense, could not have our room ready until 3pm, which was the time of the wedding! They did give us access to the spa area so we could shower and get ready, not the same but a good compromise.

Room Tip: If you want a more authentic stay and aren't worried about luxury you could stay somewhere not i...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed August 22, 2012

2nd time at the St Regis Bangkok and loved it again. Beautfiful rooms, delicious breakfast, great location and generally excellent service. Siam is my preferred location when in Bangkok so will be staying here for all future stays.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 22, 2012

What a special hotel this is. Firstly, it is perfectly located for you discover all the joys of central Bangkok, especially the shopping areas. Visit the MBK shopping centre (if you like a bargain this is definitely the place to go). Its 50 Baht in a tuk tuk or a little more in a taxi. The hotel itself has the reception on the 12th floor, and all rooms rise up above thus giving a truly wonderful view over the city centre. You can watch the world go by 24 hours. A quick word about the bathroom. The girls will LOVE it. Its superbly done. The service is excellent too with complimentary tea and coffee provided by room service. Believe me, if you are British, this is a rare treat. We love our tea, and the butler was running up and down those stairs all day and night for us and always with a real smile. Bangkok is a 24-hour city, and to get 24-hour complimentary service was a joy! There is a very well-equipped gym, again with friendly helpful staff backing onto a beautifully positioned pool area which hangs over the streets of Bangkok, 15 stories up - so again, magnificent views. These can also be enjoyed from the bar area on the 12th floor either inside or out. Then there is the breakfast...wow. An open plan beautifully presented kitchen with a wonderful variety of every type of food you could possibly imagine. First class, and our compliments to Rob (from Norwich) the friendly restaurant manager. Everyone at the hotel is willing to help and make your stay special and they certainly did this for my family. Finally, try to visit the Red Sky bar. Its only a 10 minute walk through the (Central?) shopping centre. Its on the 59th floor - and is the most chilled out and romantic spot you can possibly imagine. Expensive, but you don't need to eat there...just have a drink and what the city in action from above......

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank coolcrok
Reviewed August 21, 2012

For a Bangkok fans like me, I came to Bangkok every year. I decided to stay in this new hotel. Room size is similar to most five stars hotel in Bangkok but with better view. Floor butler service which I didn't try much but he did greet us prior on our arrival. One thing was weired that housekeeper didn't refill our shower gel, shampoo etc and even not gave us the face towels after first two days. We need to call them get those back for us.

Breakfast was ok and seems have a lot of choice but not outstanding.

What I love this hotel is connected with BTS Sky train station which can save us avoid the traffic and rainy & hot day.

I will definitely come back and stay in this hotel next year.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 21, 2012

We chose St.Regis as our main hotel of choice when we visit Bkk, up until now about 5 visits since it opened. Our relatively short stays in the past were absolutely wonderful and I praised the St. Regis BKK on tripadvisors and told friends to stay there. We were so impressed by the hotel that we decided to stay there for a week during our recent trip to bkk. But it turned out that at closer look the service quality is inconsistent and leaves plenty of room for improvement.
I won't get into much details about the room or hotel decoration this time but focus more on service
- breakfast : during our one week stay , the food selection was literally the same every day with no variety at all. Frankly it's rather boring to eat the same things for a week. The service at the breakfast could vary from professional to downright rude. One morning ( 13 August ), the staff's so overwhelmed that I did not get my coffee up until I was about to leave. Soup bowls, food plates etc where nowhere to be seen. Other guests also asked for soup bowls and plates. The guests at the table next to mine left after they were certain that they won't get the tea they had asked for. One morning , I was treated rudely by one waitress in particular (a Thai lady clearly too proud to service a Thai guest ... a common problem in BKK). I didn't catch her name but she doesn't belong in a five star environment or the service industry - full stop. One thing I noticed is that you would get better service if you are Caucasian or look white. One morning I came down ( I'm local ) for breakfast just before a white family, I was first at the reception area , there's one white manager ( bald gentleman) and Thai hostess. The gentleman looked at me then turned and walked away. I proceeded to the hostess and tried to make eye contact. She looked up, then attended to the -caucasian - family behind me. Hmmm!
- I know sometimes they could be pretty busy but the hostesses could introduce the breakfast buffet a bit, you know, like where things are, how to order or things that guests can order, I only found out that there's a whole room of sweets and pastry next to the main buffet area. I wonder how many other guests have missed that or it's just me.
- The elemis spa is gorgeous but outrageously over priced, I know you use high quality products and the spa area is absolutely beautiful with hot and cold Whirlpool, experience shower with jet stream shower, temperature control plus music while you shower, I still have to figure out how to turn the music on. One thing that bugged me and I know I shouldn't feel that way but when the gentleman who guided us at the spa addressed me and my partner as " Pi " ( Thai for bro!?) , Thai generally address other who slightly older than them as Pi on the streets or shops but at the St. Regis? I don't think there's room for that. It's too casual and disrespectful. But that's only my opinion.
- the food and service at Zuma were top class. We both enjoyed gorgeous food , nice ambiance , and attentive service. Rather pricey but worth every Bath.
- I particularly like the gym and gym staff: the equipment is new and at top quality.
- the swimming pool is nice witha view over the Rajdamri Sports Club, could be busy at times.
Last but not least, I would expect the St. Regis would train the staff better in knowledge of its hotel. To give you an example: I asked the floor butler about the opening hours of the pool and he said it closes at 7 pm. The hotel directory states that it is open until 8 pm. I went down to the pool just to find out that it is opened until 10 pm. You can do better ...

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Paull421
Reviewed August 20, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is unreal, really enjoyed the experience and all the staff were very helpful.
Drinks are overpriced, but the breakfast was awesome and the have a great view of the race track.
The location is also nice being right me t to the sky train and near MBK and respective plaza's.
Would 100% recommend and the rooms were total luxury and well appointed.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed August 17, 2012

We stayed here a total of 7 nights over the course of two weeks. The first stay was for four nights in a Metropolitan suite. The suite was absolutely luxurious, spacious and beautiful. The Metropolitan suites generally do not have good views, but if you value ability to spread out as we do, they are a great choice. The suite included a large bedroom, living room, bathroom, and powder room. We liked the hotel so much that after the first stay, we booked it for our return stay in Bangkok - an additional three nights. This time we stayed in a Caroline Astor Suite, which was huge - larger than the Metropolitan suite, with beautiful views of Bangkok and the Royal Bangkok Sport Club. I also viewed a regular room - those that overlook the Sport Club have particularly nice views. I spent an inordinate amount of time researching Bangkok's luxury hotel options before choosing this one and ended up really happy with the choice. so here are some of the highlights:

Suites - large, beautiful, new, outfitted nicely, ample storage space, lighting where you want it, well-designed.

Service - the floor butlers were generally excellent. However, the butler we met upon our first arrival, Pepe on the 20th floor, particularly stood out. He made us feel warmly welcomed, made it clear that he wanted us to call upon him, and was full of helpful suggestions as to how he could assist us during our stay. He offered to unpack our bags, took clothes to be ironed, shoes to be shined,and brought a map up and laid out a possible itinerary for our first day in Bangkok. I think he would have happily planned our entire trip. We also used the butler service a number of times either for hot coffee/tea in the morning or iced tea in the afternoon. It was a very nice option to have available after touring on a hot day. In addition, all of the door staff, receptionists and managers were warm, welcoming, and proactively offered assistance if there was a hint that anything was needed.

Restaurants - we had breakfast at the hotel 5 times (yes, it was that good and extensive), and also enjoyed the cocktails/snacks at the bar and dinner at one of the restaurants. Breakfast was great. A huge selection of hot and cold dishes along with the option to order either eggs/omelets or a choice of 4 noodle dishes cooked to order and delivered to your table. In addition to variety, everything was done at a very high level. The fruit juices were some of the best I've ever had (there must be different oranges in Bangkok), the croissants were flaky and rivaled those found in France and the Drunken noodles were addictive. There's no way to capture everything, but to give a sense for the variety, there were steamed and fried dim sum, soups, a large variety of pastries and breads, sushi, cereals, huge variety of fresh fruit, honey dripping off the honeycomb, ham, bacon, sausage, fried rice, noodles in addition to those for order, potatoes, pancakes, waffles, french toast. We normally skip breakfast when traveling, but this was worth getting up for. It was also good enough that we ate at the Viu restaurant for dinner; ordering from the Asian menu, and enjoyed it. The Sky Lounge bar was also a great spot in the evening - we became fans of the melon martini, The restaurant manager, George, was constantly present, checking in on guests and making sure that everything was running smoothly. We wondered if he ever slept. Service in the restaurants/bar was great.

Location - the location is great for two primary reasons: 1) the hotel is located in a reasonably upscale area with a variety of malls, restaurants and shops a short walk away, 2) the hotel is directly connected to the BTS Skytrain at one of the very clean stations - Ratchadamri. The Skytrain link means that on a hot and/or rainy day it's possible to get around to many places while remaining under a roof. In addition, this station is clean - I was surprised by how dirty the Saphan Taksin station, which is used via boat by the other hotels I considered, is in comparison. The river was also unexpectedly brown and dirty and it turned out we were happy to not have to get in a boat to get to the Skytrain each day.

Trajectory - I find that hotels and restaurants often rest on their laurels - some establishments keep challenging themselves to get better, but many attempt to coast once they get that 3rd Michelin star or are rated a top hotel in the world. Sometimes the best experiences are found at those hotels and restaurants that are on their way up and are committed to make it to the top. That's where the St. Regis Bangkok seems to be. While the brand overall is absolutely top tier, I had read enough mixed reviews about this relatively new hotel to feel that there was some risk in booking there (hence, booking the second stay only after the first). A considerable investment has been made in the physical building and they seem to be working to get all of the other aspects of the hotel to the top of the top tier as well. Net, this was a compelling top hotel experience.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple