“Souless hotel, service seriously needs improving”

The St. Regis Bangkok
Ranked #14 of 863 Hotels in Bangkok
London
“Souless hotel, service seriously needs improving”
Reviewed April 18, 2012

I decided to try this hotel because of the St Regis brand, however, I could not be more disappointed after my recent stay.

The hotel looked like a office block from the outside. The interior design was ok but lacked a Thai charm. The only smoking floor was on the 16th which was one floor above the swimming pool. No privacy at all.

The service was the worst I had experienced in a St Regis. It seemed that te staffs here were not happy to work here, not like the ones I met in Oriental and Sukhothai, everyone was proud and happy. Room service very bad, one day my room was not cleaned until 4 in the afternoon.

The only good thing about this hotel was the location which was connected to the sky train. But for the location, I would rather stay in the FS next door which garantee a good service.

I will never be back here again. Oriental or Sukhothai are way better.

• Stayed April 2012
2 Thank mrlnb
Holger_Jacobs, Director of Sales & Marketing at The St. Regis Bangkok, responded to this review, May 13, 2012
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for your feedback of your recent experience at our hotel.
We would like to apologize for the service which you felt lacked pride and happiness though I can assure you that our team enjoys working here and is proud of being part of St. Regis.
We are investigating now your comments on slow room cleaning and room service in order to improve both areas. We hope to be able to welcome you back soon to see and feel the improvement based on your comments.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (356)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Hong Kong
Reviewed April 15, 2012

Our family stayed there for three nights from 10 to 13 April. The hotel is nice - great location, with direct linkage to BTS, room very comfortable wiht superb golf course view. The decor is nice and modern, and the bed very comfortable. While the facility itself is top-notch, the service is not up to a St. Regis standard. A few incidents to highlight this:

- On arrival there was a bouquet, a cake, and note reading "Happy Honeymoon" on the coffee table welcoming us. The hotel must have confused this with another booking as apparently we were not in our honeymoon, and we were travelling wiht a three-year old daughter. I was a bit worried that the real honeymoon couple must have lost their cake...

- We turned off the room's aircon for our three-year old to take her bath in the bathroom. But then the smoke detector was acitvated after a hot bath for the girl. The alarm was deafening and scared my girl. We had to literally escape from the room. We called the butler but she was very slow in responding. The first man from the hotel who came to us accused us of smoking before anything else (did not even ask if my girl is OK).

- My husband asked the butler to make a reservation at a very popular Thai message parlour which he goes often. When he arrived, there was no booking, and later he found out that the bulter made a wrong booking at the other outlet.

- There was a fire drill on the third day of our stay, but the hotel did not inform us (no note inside the room, no mention when we checked in). We were totally not aware of what's happening when the fire alarm inside the room was activated, and it woke up my girl who was taking her afternoon nap. Again the response very slow when I asked for the deactivation of the alarm.

- Staff in the restaurant where buffet breakfast is served is not well-trained, and their level of English is not up to a five-star hotel standard. I had to ask for three times before a high chair was delivered to me for my girl.

But the management of the hotel was very responsive to our complaints, and the manager of the hotel was very sincere in talking to my husband. At the end, the hotel was willing to give us back half of the SPG reward points that we used to redeem the three nights stay. I very much appreciate their sincerity in trying to win back the goodwill of travellers. It reflects that they do care for customers.

Cindy Tse
Hong Kong

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Cindy T
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you very much for your detailed comments and feedback shared here.
We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the quality of the hardware our new hotel.
For the reported shortcomings in our service delivery which was below your expectations, we would like to apologize. The incident causing the fire alarm to go off should have been handled differently by our team and you should have received of course a letter in your room informing you of the fire alarm drill being planned for the day. Also we are disappointed of the poor reservation service by our concierge team you experienced which is not reflecting our usual strength in this department. We have noted your comments on the service at VIU restaurant and have added English training to the daily agenda of our associates there. As expressed by our management during your stay, we feel deeply sorry for the experience you had and hope that you will revisit us in the near future in order for us to present our large improvements in all areas.
Reviewed April 15, 2012

The hotel is absolutely beautiful. The rooms are excellent and the beds are comfortable. I was also very pleased with the concierge staff, really top notch.

The location of the hotel is just so-so. It is right on the BTS line and one transfer away from the main line which ended up being more of an inconvenience than I thought it would be but not too big of an issue. The food at the hotel isn't so great either. Perhaps I'm not the biggest St. Regis fan, but there always seems to be a stuffiness to the hotels, this one included. The staff were nice but I always perceive a bit of insincerity. At the check-in, they made us wait about 45 minutes to get into our room. Granted they had to make a room switch, but i think the wait was a bit unnecessary. All in all, it was very pleasant and I would maybe stay at this hotel again but I would prefer a hotel on Sukhumvit.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank btravel17
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you very much for posting your feedback here. We would like to apologize for the delay upon check-in though sometimes it takes us a moment longer until all the changes are made when a room switch is taking place. For your comments on the food, we are pleased to share that we are introducing new menus in both of our restaurants – VIU & Jojo – throughout the month of June. We hope to see you again soon to experience them.
Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Reviewed April 13, 2012

At The St. Regis Hotel Bangkok we had a great stay. Brand new hotel, very good location nearby the sky train station(BTS). Other 5* hotels nearby. Nearby the great shopping malls. Very very friendly staff specially our butler 'Pipe'' at the 23rd floor. The guys from the health club/pool ''Chad'' and ''Duke'' are very professional staff members, great guys with a lot of smiling! Good customer service! Also the team at the reception are very polite and professional. Breakfast is quiet good but dinner very pricey. A special THANKS to the food and beverage manager George, Amr Said the sales manger and of course The hotel manager. Everything was SUPER. We come back begin of next year!!! For sure. Greetings from The Netherlands, Europe. ราชอาณาจักรเนเธอร์แลนด์, ทวีปยุโรป

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank EthanHunt_12
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you very much for posting your praise for our team here. Truly motivating and definitely shared with everybody! We look forward to your return in 2013. All the best for 2012 from all of us!
Aussie in Singapore
Reviewed April 12, 2012

Had booked 2 rooms at this hotel for a family getaway and my travel agent accidentally cancelled and within minutes lost the room. Furthermore, when I called to see what options I had to rebook, they wouldn't even re-instate the previous rates and wanted to charge me significantly higher rates. I understand booking systems etc, but having no flexibility in addressing mistakes someone makes is somewhat a mystery to me.

I would rate the customer service as appalling and this is even before I have stepped foot in the hotel. I can only imagine how I'll be treated if I were to stay there.

By the way, I'm a very frequent traveller to Bangkok and was considering to move my standard hotel to this one. Seems they have lost a customer badly.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Ted_Ara
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for your comments shared here.
We are sad to learn of your disappointment of an incident which your travel agent caused.
As the hotel experienced a period of very high occupancy, the rooms which were cancelled by your travel agent were immediately sold to another guest and were no longer available when you made your enquiry.
Excellent Guest Service is one of our highest priorities and we look forward to a stay of yours at The St. Regis Bangkok in order to proof it to you.
Please contact me personally to arrange this stay for you.
Reviewed April 11, 2012 via mobile

This hotel was the perfect ending to our honeymoon in Thailand.
The staff are more than helpful without being too stuffy or forced and our suite was one of the best that we have stayed in.
The staff actually enjoy what they're doing.
Our suite had amazing views of the city, golf club and the sporting club.
We spent Easter Sunday at their brunch which after twenty years in hospitality management was the best that I have ever seen or tasted.
The bottomless Martini's and Bloody Mary's are a great touch with the brunch.
The hotel is a credit to the GM, all his staff and to Starwood.

Stayed April 2012
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for your great praise which we will share with the whole team.
You are right, we love working at The St Regis Bangkok and we are delighted to hear that your honeymoon received another highlight while staying with us.
From all of us, congratulations to your recent wedding and all the best for the future.
We await your return for your anniversary!
Sydney
Reviewed April 7, 2012

The St Regis lives up to the brand expecations - beautiful designer rooms with quality furnishings, personal service including 24x7 butler service (which isn't really much more than quality room service). Location is very good with BTS adjacent to help make getting around Bangkok easier at peak hour.

I love the designer feel of the room, bed was first rate sleep quality, butler staff polite and attentive without being overbearing.

Breakfast selection was OK but not amazing when compared to other 5 star hotels in Bangkok.

All up I'd say this hotel is priced a little high but worth the splurge if you have the opportunity.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you very much for your comments shared here.
We are glad to hear that your expectations were met and you enjoyed our St. Regis Butler Service. Please look out for one of our great summer offers for your next stay with us.
We look forward to it!