“Excellent Facilities BUT arrogant management”

Siam Kempinski Hotel Bangkok
Ranked #26 of 891 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed January 22, 2014

I have stayed at this great hotel several times and written a review of it before and had said that despite its lovely infrastructure and location, the hotel's management is often arrogant and rigid. During my last stay I had pre-paid for a Premier Room and was inexplicably downgraded upon check-in to a lower-priced Deluxe Room but was not informed of this. I discovered this by chance a day before I checked out and when I complained, they admitted that I had paid for a Premier Room in the Garden Wing but had been downgraded to a cheaper room in the Royal Wing. When I asked that I be credited for the price difference, I was told this was not possible! I had to demand to meet with the hotel manager before they grudgingly credited my card.

My latest stay was from Sunday 19 Jan to Thursday 23 Jan 2014. This visit coincided with the huge anti-government demonstrations that have seen a few people killed and the Thai Government has just declared a state of emergency. The roads around the hotel are all blocked by demonstrators and barricades and getting to and from the hotel in a taxi or car is a nightmare. As such the hotel, like many in the Thai capital, is suffering from the lowest occupancy in years— the Kempinski is at only 20% according to staff I have spoken with. You would think that at such a time, when a guest asks for a late checkout, that request would be easily granted. But not here. As with other times, the hotel prizes its rules more than its relationship with its guests and giving a guest a late checkout—even at a time when only 20% of the rooms are filled—is against the rules. This is a bizarre inflexibility and arrogance that does not build loyalty for the hotel. Despite its world class facilities and excellent location, the hotel's management style and culture just leaves guests with a bad taste in their mouths.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
9  Thank GilCheah
Write a ReviewReviews (2,280)

Reviewed January 22, 2014

I spent only one night there
The hotel is good but a bit overrated in my view
The staff is not particularly kind, but overall professional
My room was pretty large and on two levels and overall clean
Breakfast was not impressive
To sum up: a good hotel, too large may be and "impersonal"
There are better hotels in the city with astonishing view from the room for the same price

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank drGaynor
Reviewed January 21, 2014

Having stayed twice in this hotel, I am proud to say it deserves 5 stars. The luxuriously spacious Deluxe Suite is 130 sqm, and is wonderfully designed, the bathrooms in the hotel are very nice with Hansgrohe tapware, the water pressure is pretty good.

Deluxe suites may be pricey but are very spacious and luxurious with a walk-in closet, large powder room, 8-person dinning table, and 3-person study.

I definitely recommend for you to book accommodation with access to the Executive Club Lounge as it is excellent. Out of the many hotels I have stayed in, this executive lounge is undoubtedly one of the best; they serve a substantial breakfast, afternoon tea and hors d'oeuvres, at three separate times. The food quality and service is very good.

The Kempinski's main restaurant is also very good and for dinner for two you can expect to pay US$200 for a decent meal with wine, not too steep.

Sleep quality is quite good, the air conditioning is very quiet, the down blanketing was so warm in fact that I had to come a bit out from under the covers because I began to sweat…

The pool facilities appear impressive, but I did not have the opportunity to go. The luxurious BMW 7 limousine is a pleasure to take to and from the hotel, costing THB2,700 to the airport one-way, the standard price for other 5 star hotels in Bangkok.

The location of the hotel is right beside the Siam Paragon, one of the largest shopping mall complexes in Thailand and the connecting Siam Station of Bangkok's Skytrain system. Siam station is a good location, other good locations that you may want to consider include Sukhumvit, Rajdami, and the riverside.

I highly recommend the Siam Kempinski for a city-based visit to Bangkok as it is guaranteed that you will receive excellent accommodation and service. The hotel also has a quite grand design theme of 'modern luxury'.

Feel free to look at the enclosed photographs, the may tend to make hotels look even better than they appear in real life. I am an amateur photographer any you may be interested in my travel photos on my Instagram, username: narcissistic_john

Happy travels

Room Tip: Book a room with Executive Club Access, they don't not cost much more than lower categories, and...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank 6starluxurytraveler
Reviewed January 19, 2014

This review is a bit delayed, though I still clearly remember how convenient the location of this hotel is. Siam Paragon shopping centre is literally next door, and so is the Siam BTS station. I would stay here again for the location for sure, though found the hotel lacking in room appeal. The foyer with the amazing flower arrangements and high ceilings is definitely grand, but the rooms are a bit stale and average. Our room looked more like a higher end business motel... no plush bed or finishes in sight.

Our shower wouldn't drain the first night, so we called down and had someone come up fix it. It drained for about 5 minutes and then flooded back up as before. Each shower had to be super quick as the water would overflow into the bathroom.. not the hugest drama, just kind of annoying.

The staff were lovely, and always attentive, which was great. The pool was awesome, which was one of the main reasons I chose the hotel! You couldn't hear the hustle and bustle of Bangkok whilst in the pool area, so it made for a relaxing swim. All in all the hotel staff were friendly, and the hotel itself was clean, though for the price we paid of about $300 AUD per night, I was expecting something more plush and inviting.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Monique_jd
Reviewed January 18, 2014

I had a very enjoyable stay at this hotel during new years 2014 for three nights. Personally the location was very convenient for me and close to Paragon shopping mall, Central World, MBK, Discovery, Siam Centre etc - love it! The hotel itself is beautiful and luxurious. The rooms are very comfortable, beautiful, spacious and the complimentary internet access was average. The staff are polite and very helpful. Overall, a highly recommended hotel in Bangkok! I will definitely be back for sure.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Kanya T
Reviewed January 17, 2014

My son and I spent 2 nights at the Siam Kempinski from January 3-5, 2014i. I’ve stayed there many times in the past, and was a platinum member, which entitles the holder to one free upgrade if available. Upon check-in, I discovered that my platinum membership expired as of 31 December 2013, just 3 days prior to our stay at the hotel. I was informed that I was now “only” a gold member and that I was not entitled to an upgrade though they did give us the Business Internet connection (which works extremely poorly, worse than most hotels who offer free Internet). I didn’t say anything to the desk staff (Ms. Nucharee S.), but did mention this incident to the front office manager, Jitlada Kulvanish, who I knew from my previous stays. Her reply was that I could purchase an upgrade if I wanted it. When I told my son about this, he was quite surprised. We stayed at the Four Seasons in Bangkok a few nights before and were greeted in such a friendly but professional manner (I recall when we checked out that the room supervisor walked us out of the hotel to our waiting car… maybe she was just happy to get rid of us! Haha!) and were given several upgrades without asking or having any platinum or other type of card! I must say that the hotel room is quite nice and the bathroom is fantastic. The staff members in general are professional though I recognized a clear difference from when I was last there over 1 year ago. My son hates the pool at the Kempinski but I find it nicely designed. The restaurants are fine, particularly the Thai restaurant. The location is great with respect to shopping (Siam Paragon is just a short walk across the street and Central World is about a 15 minute walk) and many other attractions. From the hotel, there is easy access to the sky train (just walk through Siam Paragon). Personally, I will not return to the Siam Kempinski hotel, but I do feel it is still one of the better hotels in Bangkok (but there are many great hotels in Bangkok).

Room Tip: The Cabana room is nice in that you have direct access to the pool.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank lshapspro
Reviewed January 17, 2014

This is without a doubt the best hotel I have ever stayed in.

The hotel itself is stunning and immaculately presented from the beautiful flower arrangements in the lobby to the room service menus. Everything has an element of luxury which goes over and beyond expectations.

The staff are fantastic, there is nothing they won't do for you and they are always more than happy to help. They arranged our hire car to be collected from the hotel with no hassle, had postage of parcels organised through the concierge and best of all they arranged for a beautiful complementary bouquet of flowers to be delivered to our room after our engagement.

We opted for an executive room which was worth every penny. The room was stunning and the afternoon tea and evening cocktails were a real treat.

We also dined in the Sra Bua By Kiin Kiin restaurant which has justifiably been recognized as one of Thailand's best restaurants. It was a wonderful experience.

I could go on for pages about how great our stay here was. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Go for an executive room, it's worth the money.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple