“Good location, clean and new”

Siam Kempinski Hotel Bangkok
Ranked #26 of 866 Hotels in Bangkok
“Good location, clean and new”
Reviewed January 1, 2012

The hotel has a fantastic location right behind Siam paragon which meant that we could get anything we needed. We actually stayed in the residences which was perfect with the baby for preparing meals and the laundry facility is free which is fantastic. The kempinsky has the most amazing pool area - it is huge! Plus there are shallow areas for the little ones and long areas or laps. Service was ok, everyone was friendly. It seemed there were some issues with maintenance however whenever I spoke to someone they immediately came to address it. Would definitely try it again and recommend it purely on location

• Stayed December 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (374)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Washington, DC
Reviewed December 31, 2011

This is a new hotel located near some of the major upscale shopping malls in Bangkok. The rooms are very nice and lobby is very stylish. I would give this 5 stars except for two challenges. The restaurant for breakfast is rather small so it fills up in the morning. It is also somewhat hidden from the main road so it takes some time to get a taxi from the hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed December 30, 2011

If you want exceptional service, then this is the place to stay at BKK. We stayed here on our way back from Krabi for 3 nights. We had a Club room booked.

GETTING TO/FROM- Lots of options to get to town from the airport. Easiest would be taxis. You can take AOT (they now charge 1200 THB) or just take a normal cab (400 THB including tips and tolls). Just keep in mind that the normal cabs do have smaller trunk space as the cars seem to be running on CNG/LPG. If you have more luggage then go for the Innova mini van taxis. They charge 700 THB fixed price.

LOCATION- It cant get better than this if you want to be in the thick of things. The hotel is like 20 meters from the North entrance of Siam Paragon mall. You can be inside the mall in less than 30 seconds. And from paragon you can pretty much access most of the shopping/food in this area. Cant beat the location.

LOBBY- Very big and grand. Felt like you were in a 7 star hotel.

ROOM- We were in a room in the royal wing. The room was decent size although I have stayed in bigger rooms in BKK for a similar price. The only strange thing about the room was air conditioning. I kept turning it up but even then it would be cold.

LOUNGE- The club lounge was fantastic. They have a separate dining and living section. All day beverages. Happy hours had all kinds of alcoholic drinks available. And of course you can have breakfast in peace in the morning. This is one of the best exec lounges that I have been to.

SERVICE- This was the cherry on the amazing cake. Barring a minor incident at breakfast in the restaurant, the service was fantastic. The staff knew a lot more english than most other hotels in thailand. And you got the feeling that they were happy to help you and provide you with the extra 1% or 2%. This makes all the difference.

OVERALL- Book the club room. The benefits (which there are quite a few) are well worth the extra money. I will surely repeat this hotel when back in Bangkok.

Room Tip: Go for the Club Room..benefits are worth the extra money
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed December 28, 2011

This is a short family trip during the Christmas period. Because we are traveling with kids, location is very important to us. The megamall Siam Paragon is just 10 steps away from it, literally. You can reach the BTS Skytrain by walking indoors. From there, you can then easily connect to all the shopping in the area. You can also cross the rear canal to reach Pantip Plaza area in 5-10 mins, depending on your walking speed.
Yet in the middle of all the shopping action and traffic jams and incessant crowd, Siam Kempinski manage to land itself in a quiet area behind Paragon, fully guarded and quite peaceful.
There's a nice kids play area too if you need to distract the kids for awhile.
Rooms and toilet are clean and spacious and there are free bottles of drinking water.
Internet and Wi-fi was free as well.

Now to some complains:
1. An extra bed for kids is not free. Only a baby cot is free.
2. Concierge messed up our taxi booking to the airport.
3. Breakfast was not included.
4. Pricey rack rates.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Stavanger, Norway
Reviewed December 28, 2011

Friendly and professional staff. Nice big rooms. Really good breakfast !

• Stayed December 2011
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed December 25, 2011

This is a very disappointing update to a review I made nearly one year ago on the residences, what a difference a year makes.

Before I begin let me say that If I were to do this review for the Hotel I would rate it as four stars for many of the reasons called out in the other reviews.

However as a residence I'm being generous giving the hotel and the management team even two stars. Keep in mind, this was to be my home, not a hotel. Your needs and expectations change when you see your residence as your house.

The residences:

I lived in the Residences for the past twelve months, when making the choice to spend one of the highest rates for a serviced residence in Bangkok, I took the management and their advertizing at their word, the following was presented to me:

Private dining room for residence guests
Private pool and gym for residences
Private residences wing separate from the hotel
Private residence reception

These amenities and a host of other benefits, the location, beautiful room (and it is) and a quiet retreat prompted me to spend 137,000 baht a month for a two bedroom apartment in the heart of Bangkok.

Here is what I got and what the experience was like:

No private dining, you are going to have breakfast right along with the Hong Kong and Middle East tour groups, sometimes its a wait in line and then has the atmosphere of an overcrowded cafeteria. For one solid year the menu never changed, not once.

No private residence, pool or gym, you will have hotel guests coming and going on a continuous basis.

Residence reception has never opened.

Bottom line, while they may have had good intentions the management has decided to turn the much advertized residencies into just more hotel rooms.

The Management:

Here is where it makes a bad situation far worse:

Never once did the management apologize or offer any sort of compensation for failing to operate as advertized. When I had to extend my stay for two weeks due to a miscommunication on my contract end date they gladly offered me the extension at double my rate per day.

When my personal effects were flooded in the storage area they provided, not once but twice, it took me five months to get what amounted to a reduced claim.

When it was time to move in, the sales agent had given the room I reserved away to another guest and never said a word until my furnishing arrived. I had to move into a temporary room for a month waiting for another room to be finished as the residence was just opening.

In between all of these things were the small nagging items that never went away during the entire year and it did not matter how many times you called for assistance.

The wood floor warped and the boards were coming up off the floor due to a problem with the installation, this was all over the hotel.

The air conditioning never worked correctly, leaked and black mold was everywhere in the room, I should post the photos sometime.

The electric would go out every other day because the load controllers used to distribute the power are not well designed. Finally the engineer showed me where the circuit breakers were so I could reset them myself.

The internet was like a light bulb, off, on, off, on...very inconsistent and slow. When I would call about it all they said was sorry we have so many guests etc.......

I could go on and on about all this but I think this is enough to understand the problem. I really don't know which managers were aware of all this, however I had brought many of these issues up with the sales manager/director and I thought they were working to assist me but in the end, I found out that they were the biggest part of the problem.

I'm working on a letter that will go to the Kempinski Group in Europe outlining all of the issues; hopefully this will help make things better but until then, make absolutely sure you get every single item you expect written into the contract, take nothing for granted.

There are far better residences in Bangkok for a lot less money.........

Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
18 Thank ThaiSanook
Pulborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 23, 2011

We had been booked into the Kempinski by our agent as they recommended this as an excellent way to end our holiday in Thailand. They were right. The rooms and other facilities are beautiful and the service excellent, as we have come to expect in Thailand, if you do not try to do it on the cheap. Having said that, for what we got, I would not say this was expensive. You can get some super deals in Thailand and, if you are lucky, you may get away with it. However, by paying what are very reasonable rates for Europe, you get a very special experience. This and the Intercontinental, which is nearby, are prime examples. Its hard to choose between them but, by a whisker, I would choose the Kempinski. It has a very nice area outdoors with pools that is sheltered by the hotel buidling from the hustle and bustle of Bangkok that is going on around it, The Intercontinental only has a small pool area at the top of the building that was very windy when we were there.

Room Tip: Inward facing rooms are quiet and have the view over the pool and gardens
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends