“Not really sure what to say...”
Review of Mambo Cabaret Show

Ranked #16 of 39 Concerts & Shows in Bangkok
Stornoway, United Kingdom
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Not really sure what to say...”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

We really wanted to see a lady boy show while in Bangkok and our hotel concierge recommended this and made all our travel arrangements and bookings etc, so we had no hassle getting there or anything, nor did we feel ripped off.
We got there and had our complimentary drinks while the other show was finishing up.
The theatre was nice and a nice size, but was not full,which may have contributed to the lack of atmosphere.
The show lasted just over an hour and was a glitzy spectacular of costumes and settings, but the dancing and singing was mediocre at best, with some dancers clearly uncomfortable and not well rehearsed.
It was not caberet, either. It was a succession of songs from all over the world being averagely lip synched. There was no comedy or even speaking.
At the end, the cast congregate on the stairs you HAVE to take down and you are grabbed at and encouraged to pose for pictures with them, which they then want to be tipped for. I had previously read about this, so just hid my camera in my bag on the way out. That seemed to suffice!
There were some families with young children there, and while it was probably no worse than a music video on MTV, I didn't think it was hugely appropriate.

Visited August 2013

234 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 114 helpful votes
“Sit back and enjoy it”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

This Ladyboy show is not at the same standards as a Las Vegas Show, but then, you are not paying Vegas prices. Great value for the money. Just sit back and enjoy. If you had no expectations you will enjoy it. The music was good, the key dancers/singers were good, but, yes, there were a few who needed a good choreographer to assist them in their dancing. Nevertheless, it was great. If you want a more Las Vegas style show, go to Pattaya and visit Alcazar or Tiffanies.

Some have mentioned it is hard to get to. Take a taxi from your hotel. They will know how to get there. Taxis in Bangkok now have to use their meters. You will get a fair price to get there. Now, on the return, I didn't think about that when I left. The tour busses departed and this place became quickly deserted. Some guy out on the street asked me if I wanted a taxi. Great. Didn't feel right. However, sure enough, he called, a taxi came, he used the meter, and drove me home. You may want to arrange with your taxi driver to pick you up at the end of the show.

Visited July 2013
4 Thank LAM487
London, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Interesting”
Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

Mambo Cabaret is in an isolate warehouse somewhere South of Bangkok. I recommend going to Chong Nonsi BTS and taking a cab from there. Tell the driver go to Rama 3. It cost us 61 baht to Chong Nonsi after the show but this was in the absence of a jam.
If you're going for the 8.30 show just grab a cab as it's not very jammed up at that point in time. We were afraid we'd be late and got fleeced taking a tuk tuk.
Some of the ladyboys really were very feminine and one could really dance. Most of the back up dancers are very awkward though. They danced mainly to famous and recent English songs and some Japanese and Chinese songs. Speaker was way too loud.
We got the 800 Baht ticket instead of the 1000 Baht ticket, and we were glad we did because it's still quite a steep price as they were all just lip-syncing.
The 800 baht seats are more towards the back but it's good enough. If you sit in front you might get pulled up on stage or even get kissed by one of them. I wouldn't say that the show is completely family-friendly but it's very mild.
It's difficult to get transport back after the show but one of the staff helped us hail a cab outside.

Visited August 2013
2 Thank subbydubbydoo
Sydney, Australia
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“Get organised transport”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We went there at the weekend, and unfortunately ended up missing half of the show as our Tuk Tuk driver got us completely lost, and it is in the middle of nowhere! We took the directions given by Mambo, in Thai, but alas, this wasn't enough! They do organise transport, so I would recommend you take this option.

The theatre itself is really comfortable, with big comfy chairs, table and lamp, and we were given a free iced tea when we arrived.

There is unfortunately no disabled access though, so I had to walk up 3 flights of stairs to get into the theatre, as there is no lift, so would not be at all suitable for someone in a wheelchair. I had emailed them first to let them know that I had mobility problems, and no mention of this was made.

The half of the show that we saw was very entertaining - mix of bad lip syncing, cabaret dancing and humour. If you're going to see a lady show, this ticks all of the boxes! Great costumes, pretty lady boys! We enjoyed ourselves, for the short time we were there.

Visited July 2013
Kuching, Malaysia
61 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 88 helpful votes
“I love it!”
Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

Interesting and funny. This is a cabaret show where you see some very pretty and sweet-looking lady-boys, some averagely manly looking ones, and some are hilariously funny looking! They insert some humor in their act that makes it not-so-serious. For 1000 baht per person, it's worth it to just sit back and enjoy the show. I was left feeling dazzled and slightly envious with the feminity of some of those lady-boys. Yes, do go if you have the time.

Visited May 2013