“Small, busy, friendly and tasty!”
Review of La Monita Taqueria

La Monita Taqueria
Ranked #440 of 11,383 Restaurants in Bangkok
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed March 27, 2013

A small Mexican place off Sukhumvit, but seems to be a hidden gem as it has so little advertising, but was filled with a nice mix of farang and locals, with quite a few children in the place.

The menu is typically Mexican, lots of tacos, burritos, quesadillias etc. We had a simple starter of corn chips with guacamole, which was very fresh and very tasty.

Next up was a large stuffed chicken quesadillia and an equally large wet burrito, served with rice and refried beans. Both were very tasty and very filling.

We also drank a carafe of margarita, equally refreshing.

Excellent place - will definitely be back.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

I would describe La Monita as the best Mexican I have found in Bangkok though it is a little hard to find. Located just off the Pholen Chit BTS station on the Sukumvit line it can be a little difficult to find as it is nestled in among the shops, beauty parlors, and other assorted businesses but it is well worth the effort to find. I only found this because one of our Bangkok offices is located near by. As I said I started off with chips and guacamole, sadly chips are not included with the meal. The chips were home-made and the guacamole was fresh but nothing to write home about so I will not write about it here either.

For my tacos I had ordered the Al Pastor, red chili marinated roast pork, and Pescado, grilled fish (Andaman Sea bass). The tacos, though a little lightly stuffed for my taste were very well seasoned and full of fantastic flavor. The pork had a nice bite to it from the red chili and was succulent and juicy; the fish was well seasoned and lightly fried to golden perfection that just fell apart in your mouth. Both tacos were finished off with lettuce, tomato, onion, and sour cream. All in all this was a great lunch meal and I look forward to my next visit.

Reviewed March 7, 2013

Been to several Mexican restaurants in Bangkok and whilst it may not be much to look at decor wise. The food is very good. Steak fajitas are delicious and the steak is cooked perfectly and not chewy like some places. Wide range of salsa's and sauces to help yourself to. Nachos aren't all that but the tacos, burritos and fajitas are well worth it. Price wise, it's ok considering it's international food.

Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

The quality of the food here is great, no doubt about it, but there are a few upsetting features. I enjoy a massive amount of salsa with my food and their salsa bar quite frankly sucks. Most of their salsas are EXTREMELY spicy even for my guests and I who are use to the heat if Thai food. Given that most of their guests are white, they should really cut back on the spice. They do however provide you with salsa bottles in which one is not spicy, but once the bottle is empty it takes a while to flag someone down for a new bottle, which they kindly provide for you. But the salsa bottles have very small openings containing very chunky salsa, leading you to squeeze so hard that you blow salsa all over the table and your guests XD The decor is cute and quant, but a lot of the staff smokes, making this place quickly fill up with the scent of cigarettes. The food is pretty expensive, $10 for a burrito, but with the quality and given you are eating Mexican in Thailand, we tolerate paying $20 for two large burrito dishes. What I really can't stand is the price if their alcohol, $10 for a glass of mojito/margarita/all other drinks. For $10 I expect to leave this place with a pretty good buzz as I stumble my way back to the BTS. But the drinks don't taste very strong at all and I definitely leave more sober than when I walked in.
So overall, all the drinks and meals are roughly $10 (300B) which come in large portions and are great tasting. While most foreigners would find this place as a cheap treat, it's very expensive for someone who lives and works in Thailand.

Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

This place was great! We came the third time and as always the beef quality inspired me to write this review. If you live long enough in Bangkok. You will start to notice that good beef at resonable price is hard here. I love that they give you second round of nachos free of charge. The waiter even bring us extra lime and souce.