“Darned tasty LA style Mexican food”
Review of La Monita Taqueria

La Monita Taqueria
Ranked #363 of 10,831 Restaurants in Bangkok
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Wandering the world
“Darned tasty LA style Mexican food”
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Hidden well back off the street, La Monita is worth the trouble it takes to find it. (When you see the big illuminated sign for Mahatun Plaza, just start walking back. If it's night, it's going to look like you're walking into a dark parking lot, which you are, but your reward is at the end.)

All in all, for being this far away from Latin America, they did an admirable job. I started with the Margarita de Oro, made with tequila reposada, the golden stuff. This drink ran about $7 (220 bhat), but I was actually considering ordering the more upscale version where they will willing to name the tequila used, but $14 for a margarita of unknown quality was too steep for me. The less expensive margarita didn't disappoint, not in the least. The limes used were just the right balance of sour and sweet, and the triple sec and tequila both placed nicely. It was a margarita that any Mexican restaurant would be proud to serve, and tasted fresh.

The margaritas here are either on the rocks or "martini style" (no ice.) Blending was not an option, which was fine by me as I prefer small cubes to drinking a grownup slushie.

I ordered the chips and salsa. The chips seemed to be factory made and were badly needing salt. The guacamole came across as freshly made and was left a little chunky with similar sized bits of tomato and onion in it. It could have used more cilantro.

The burrito mojado I order arrived as a large portion, so much so that there was barely any room on the plate for rice and beans. I had asked for the "al pastor" meat to be used in making it. The burrito was overflowing with nice pork, but the folks that made this al pastor couldn't have ever tasted the real thing. It was like pork (leftover carnitas from their menu?) were simmered in a tomato-adobo sauce. The real deal is dry rubbed then roasted on a spit, a pineapple cooking on top of it and dripping rich pineapple juice the whole time it's cooking. The carmelized bark on the outside is the best part of the experience-- you get a big hit of the spice, but eating meat not so close to the outside you get this wonderful slow roasted pork experience. This was a little too factory-like. In their defense, I wonder how much al pastor they can possibly sell, so I shouldn't complain too much that they've taken liberties.

After being in their restaurant and seeing their food, I'm struck that it's more an LA spin on Mexican food heavily influenced by the west of Mexico. For this far from home, they did a pretty good job. The restaurant is a true hole in the wall-- they could stand some paint and some cleaning, but after being away from my beloved Mexican food for too long, this was like a lighthouse calling out to me. I'm planning to go back.

• Visited January 2013

• Korean first
  • Thai first
Bangkok
“Good to Be True”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

This review is probably not going to sound very believable. I only have positive things to say about this place. Insanely positive, in fact. It is hands down the best Mexican restaurant in Bangkok. I've lived here for years and I'm from Arizona, I feel like I should know. My first time there had me coming back once a week for a couple months. I was in love.

Steak and shrimp burrito was the first thing I ever got, one of the best I've ever had. I've forced myself to try other things as time went on and the menu consistently impressed. Even things I at first balked at, like carne asada french fries, managed to blow me away. The flavor in the meats is unlike anything you would expect to find in a quick and casual place like this, but there it is. Sounds too good to be true, I know, but...you'll see.

I think I've gushed enough. Go try it.

• Visited December 2012
London
“Mexican in BKK?”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Was surprised to find this one... real Mexican-calle style food, with a few tex-mex twists. Got three "double decker" style tacos to try each meat combination--and was stuffed. huge portions, great selection of salsas, great prices. And one of the BEST margaritas ever.

Visited January 2013
Granville Ferry, Nova Scotia
“Cold beer and hot chilis”
Reviewed December 30, 2012

This eatery has wooden tables and benches, a loud and happy clientele, and great guacamole, not to mention the melt-in-your-mouth quesadillas. It's tucked down a shopping center entry lane, Mahatun Plaza, off Ploenchit Road.

The noise is a little hard on the ears, but the staff are all smiles and service, plus we were hot, thirsty, and starving! We started with ice cold Singha beer, chips and chunky guacamole. Then on to chicken quesadilla, piping hot, with melted cheese oozing out the sides. Heaven!

It's a large menu with everything Mexican, tostadas to fajitas and everything in between.

Visited December 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Best Tex-Mex in SE Asia”
Reviewed December 9, 2012

My friends and I come to La Monita's EVERY time we're in Bangkok...actually, multiple times! We are currently living in a city that has absolutely no good tex-mex food, so La Monita's hits the spot. My most recent visits served up several delicious plates of food. My dining companions and I got Cali-Tacos, quesadillas, and chimichangas. They were all cooked to perfection, and the sides of guac and queso were delicious. All of the staff we encountered with pleasant and professional, and the margarita's were mixed perfectly. I love this restaurant and will definitely be back during my next trip to BKK!

• Visited December 2012