“Excellent food, Top notch service, nice decor. Definitely will return!!”
Review of Smooth Curry

Smooth Curry
Ranked #253 of 11,609 Restaurants in Bangkok
Cuisines: Asian, Diner, Seafood, Thai
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Pathumwan
Description: Discover authentic taste of Thailand at Smooth Curry. Traditional Thai dishes from the country’s four regions provide diners with an exceptional culinary experience. Dishes draw on the rich heritage of Royal Thai cuisine. A private dining room can accommodate 12 guests.
Reviewed November 4, 2012

We had dinner reservation on saturday at Smooth Curry and well, being rated #6 overall in BKK and #1 for Thai cuisine on TA, those are pretty big boots to fill. We are quite the foodie and also very particular about service, especially in an up-scale restaurant. Bad service makes good food average, and bad food disastrous. However good service can make bland food tastier, so it is crucial, especially at a so-called higher class restaurant.

So here we go with what we think of the highly rated restaurant on TA.

1. Food - Well naturally food is still the most important factor for a restaurant, and the food at Smooth Curry was really good. We started with a couple of mocktails, mango delight and the california fizz(i think thats the name), and both were tasty, with the latter being the preferred. We wanted to order their reknowned Mieng Kum but it wasn't available, so we went with another chef's special, the deep fried prawn with the chef's orange sauce. This was good! Other dishes we ordered included red curry roast duck and tom yum tha lay, pad thai goong and the absolute highlight, the MVP, of the dinner, the chef's signature spare ribs. Those ribs were delish! Go easy on the sauce as it can be too salty with too much sauce. The meat was tender and the slightly charred portions were yummilicious!!

2. Ambience - Modern contemporary thai design. Very nice interior basically. Comfortable chairs.

3. Service - This part was really good for us. In fact, 1 of the best service for a thai cuisine restaurant in BKK we have ever received amidst numerous trips to Thailand. Why, u might ask, so here are the reasons. Firstly, I was smoking just at the outdoor area and the waitress came to inform me that the appetiser is about to be served. That is definitely good service. Secondly, we asked for a shawl as the air-conditioner was a bit cold for my girlfriend and it came promptly within a minute and the waiter even said that if it's still too cold, they can try asking the hotel to increase the temperature of the central air conditioner in the restaurant. Thirdly, we mentioned that we don't really like too much coriander when the food was served(we forgot to mention earlier), and the waiter said politely that he will have it removed and served again and also inform our preference to the chef. Now, this is service expected of a up-class restaurant and Smooth Curry meets those expectations. Well done.

Price is definitely on the higher end at Smooth Curry, but it is not exorbitant or insanely expensive. We highly recommend this restaurant if you are in Bangkok and especially if you are looking for a nice restaurant for a dinner date or dinner with friends and family.

We will return!

1  Thank JnY82
PlazaAtheneeBKK, Hotel Manager at Smooth Curry, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2012

Dear JnY82,

Thank you for choosing to dine at Smooth Curry Thai restaurant at Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel during your visit to Bangkok and for sharing your review on TripAdvisor.

I am very happy to hear that Smooth Curry lived up to your expectations and that you had an enjoyable dining experience with us. Our guest’s comments are extremely valuable and we thoroughly appreciate all comments as it helps us to maintain and improve our standards. Thank you for your kind words regarding the food, it is wonderful to hear that you really preferred the chef's signature spare ribs. I will be sure to pass your feedback onto the chefs at Smooth Curry. It is also lovely to hear that you also liked the atmosphere of the restaurant and that you appreciated the service our associates provided. We try to be constant in our levels of service and it is gratifying to learn that our team provided you with the service you expected of a high end restaurant.

Thank you once more for your review, and we look forward to your return at Smooth Curry at Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel.

Kind regards,

Reviewed October 30, 2012

I can't fathom how this restaurant has achieved such a high rating. The decor is beautiful and the service is good (not exceptional), but we all agreed the food was quite mediocre. The menu is limited but the presentation is well executed. We had duck curry and tiger prawns, and frankly I've had better tasting food at the stalls along the street! A very disappointing meal. So why have others rated this so highly? I would characterize this restaurant as appropriate for business travelers on an expense account who don't want to leave the hotel. But if you have the slightest bit of curiosity and/or are seeking value for your money, you can very easily find a much better meal at a fraction of the cost of Smooth Curry.

1  Thank David F
PlazaAtheneeBKK, Hotel Manager at Smooth Curry, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2012

Dear David F,

I would like to thank you for choosing to take the time to review Smooth Curry Thai restaurant at Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel on TripAdvisor.

Firstly, thank you for your comments on the ambience and decoration of Smooth Curry and for your feedback on the service of our associates. However, I am concerned to learn that you did not enjoy the food as much as I would have liked. As tastes vary, we have to try and gauge which types of meals will be popular on any given times of the year. We do pride ourselves on being able to accommodate our guests’ requirements and I am sorry we did not meet your expectations on this occasion. Please be assured, we do value all guest comments and I have reviewed the issues raised with our Food and Beverage team. I hope you will not judge us solely on this occasion and will reconsider dining with us again in the future.

Once again, thank you for your review, we appreciate your comments and I hope we will see you at Smooth Curry at Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel on TripAdvisor soon.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

Don't let the name fool you ( I thought the name sounded a bit cheesy)! The food, ambiance and service were fantastic. The air con was up a bit high, so bring a sweater.

1  Thank Trannie71

Dear Trannie71,

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor following your recent visit to Smooth Curry Thai restaurant at Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel.

I am overjoyed to learn that you had a splendid time whilst dining with us and that you appreciated all aspects of your time with us not just the food. It is always an honour to know that our guests have an all round great experience when at Smooth Curry. With regards to your comments on the air conditioning, I will be sure to discuss these concerns with our Restaurant Manager to make it more comfortable.

Once again thank you for your review and we hope to welcome you back to Smooth Curry at Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel in the future.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

ok so normally we're all about the food, and the food only. To keep me happy, the place must have great food, and be able to drop it off hot. I'm happy to have to ask for service, and put my hand up to get attention. I don't expect someone hovering, in fact it i prefer it low key. My partner however worked in hospitality and she generally notices things I don't about service, i'm usually to busy enjoying the food to worry. This time however, it was me who noticed the lack of service. It was actually more an abundance of bad service than a lack of good service. Sometimes these reviews can be subjective so let me give you some examples...

1. The wait staff were not designated specific tables, which had the effect of meaning that no-one knew where we were at in terms of our meal.

2. We saw our waiter ask someone if they wanted rice with their mains to which they responded "we haven't even seen the menu yet" - go figure

3. We saw the same waiter drop off the wrong entree to the table next to us - who accepted the food anyway - very gracious indeed (and if fairness it did look good)

4. We saw a couple come in and wait for service, only ending up leaving after not being acknowledged after about 15-20 minutes. Shocking.

5. We had to ask for everything twice, like everything.. drinks, and the bill...

6. Our mains were brought out without rice and we had to wait about 5 minutes for the rice to arrive.

7. We got a waiters attention and she was about to take an order from us only to immediately serve another table right as she was going to take our order. We were so shocked we assumed that we had it wrong and she was never coming over to us, only she came over to us the moment she concluded the conversation with the people who interrupted us.

so the food.....

entree was prawn battered and fried... ok but luke warm at best. Big no no with fried food for me, it must be hot...

Red Duck curry average... just nothing to it really and the duck was tough...

However... the alaskan king crab yellow curry was AMAZING and for this they get two stars instead of 1.

We didn't bother with dessert and had a magnum from 7-11 instead.

Overall they really need to sort out their wait staff. They were all serving each others' tables and it really was a mess. You could see that they were all confused about where every table was at and that there was a lack of cohesion and organisation. It would take one simple thing to fix the service - and that is assign certain staff to different areas of the restaurant so that each staff member knows where all the tables are at in terms of their meals and drinks.

Oh, and i LOVE it cold, especially in Thailand. But this place was FREEZING. Like 15 degrees celcuis - so take a jacket.

I would be happy to discuss this with management should they choose to contact me ....

1  Thank Sleeprequired
PlazaAtheneeBKK, Hotel Manager at Smooth Curry, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2012

Dear Sleeprequired,

I would like to thank you for choosing to dine at Smooth Curry Thai restaurant at Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel and for taking the time to write your comments on TripAdvisor. The feedback from our guests helps us to continually monitor and maintain our standards.

First and foremost please let me apologise for the disappointments you have expressed regarding your experience with us. Our associates are one of our greatest assets as they strive to provide the best customer care to all our guests so I am very concerned to hear of the lack of service you experienced. I agree that our team need to be more organized with the seating area to ensure our guests receive fast and efficient service throughout their time with us. Therefore please accept my apologies on behalf of our associates that failed to meet your expectations. Kindly be informed that I have taken necessary actions to ensure service improvement in the future. However, I would like to thank you for your compliments on the Alaskan King Crab Curry we serve, I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed it and can say it was ‘amazing’.

We are aware that your opinion of our service has affected your opinion of us, and I hope you may reconsider your position and choose to dine with us again here at Smooth Curry at Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel as we would welcome the opportunity to regain your confidence in our services and food. If you would like to discuss the matter further please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

We went to Smooth Curry based on the positive reviews on Tripadvisor and we can only confirm what many people have written before us. The food was excellent, the staff so courteous and friendly and the ambience relaxing. For such a top-notch restaurant the prices are very reasonable. We paid about 75 USD for a dinner for two including a starter 2 cocktails and 2 softdrinks. We will definitly come again - this is now one of our favourite restaurants in Bangkok

3  Thank Krummi1978