“For the wine lover...”

Ranked #233 of 11,376 Restaurants in Bangkok
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Sukhumvit
Description: Antonio's is truly a world class restaurant!
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Oh... I love the food here. Also, a very good selection of wine. This is the place I come for Italian food. I had the lobster and it was so good but I have to say this place is definitely on the pricy side.

1  Thank Sarah T
wi31skh9, Owner at Antonio's The Italian Experience, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

Dear Valued Customer,

A personal thank you for taking the time to write about your recent visit to my restaurant, i'm always grateful to learn that my customers have enjoyed their dining experience with us, inparticular, i thank you for your kind comments that were made about my food and wine, its the heart of what we do for a living so there really is no greater compliment.

Hope to see you at Antonio's again very soon,

Reviewed May 5, 2013

My husband, daughter and I ate here in January and had a wonderful evening. The owner, Antonio, was very personable and we enjoyed chatting with him. It's definitely not the cheapest of places, however, the food and wine were delicious. I chose the truffle pasta, which was yummy (but a little bit small!). Can't wait to come here again the next time we're in Bangkok...

1  Thank RachelA1980

Dear Valued Customer,

Just a brief note to personally thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review about your recent visit to my restaurant, it always makes me extremely happy and proud when i hear that my customers have enjoyed their dining experience with us, it makes what we do everyday all the more worth it... i do hope that when you are back in the land of smiles again that you will include us in your ''places to visit'', we would love to see you back at Antonio's again real soon.

Reviewed May 3, 2013

This restaurant has got all the ingredients to be very good but one or two things spoiled the experience.

Food was good, the ambiance was good, the service was very good but when an Owner of a restaurant is continually being obnoxious and rude to his staff then that's a real put off for me.What was worse his behavior was obvious to all and the way he spoke to his staff was extremely poor.So, Antonio go do a course in how to treat & talk to your staff and then I may come back.

The restaurant was also on the high end expensive compared to other good Italian restaurants in Bangkok.

2  Thank Celebrate2Day
wi31skh9, Owner at Antonio's The Italian Experience, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2013

Dear Sir,

I am writing in reply to your recent visit and comments that were made about my restaurant on TripAdvisor.

Firstly, allow me to say quite firmly that i have not built and operated a successful business by being rude and obnoxious, i work extremely hard every night in my restaurant to assure that my customers are well taken care of and that my staff look after every detail to uphold the solid reputation that i have built over the past 9 years. I pride myself on doing the best i can everyday and my staff who by the way are like family to me and have worked with me for over 8 years now would not stay loyal to me if i were the person you are claiming me to be. It would be foolish of me to put my business in jeopardy by acting in such a manner especially when i rely on my business for my livelihood, it simply doesn't make any sense at all.

I was happy to hear that the food and service were to your liking and thank you for your patronage.

Reviewed May 2, 2013

My partner made a booking to Antonio's over the Internet. Despite not having a phone to receive the booking confirmation, and arrived one hour late due to heavy traffic, they held the table for us. As soon as we entered the staff used common sense and logically narrowed down and recognised who we were and lead us to our seats immediately. The staff make an effort to learn who all their dinners are even on a full house.
As soon as we were seated we were provided with delicious warm bread, grissini sticks and condiments. The menu was quite extensive as was the wine list.
The signature dishes of white asparagus wrapped in prosciutto and porcini ravioli with truffle are to die for. They food was so memorable that I am writing this purely by memory and I dined there two months ago.

A waiter brings out a platter of fresh produce to show you the ingredients available for the specials. They say you eat with your eyes and I surrendered to temptation and ordered the lobster. The aromatic lobster is served with the head intact but cleaned. There is a clean sliver in its back where the meat has been pulled out, segmented into bite size pieces and carefully reconstructed inside the shell again. To clean a lobster whilst keeping its structure and head intact requires a lot of technical skill. I had absolute regret for not bringing a camera with me. This lobster from head to tail was the length of my elbow to my index finger. Even after eating two entrees, I devoured every part of this moorish crustacean. My parter had a slow braised lamb shank which fell off the bone. The meat was tender, succulent, aromatic and a perfect balance in flavours. Compliments to the chef for his sophisticated palate.

The owner Antonio is extremely personable and knows how to relate to different Calibres. Antonio engages in conversations with every table, being careful to not interrupt the serving of food. It worked in my favour that Antonio was raised up in Australia and has lived in Thailand for fifteen years which he now calls home. As an Australian tourist visiting Bangkok, Antonio both very culturally insightful and respectful. He was able to provide local knowledge to my western mindset of why things operate the way they do. Gained a lot of tourist tips and demystification from Antonio.
What amazed me is that Antonio's restaurant is predominantly locals of an affluent segment and business men who bring in clients. Unlike a lot of restsurants in Bangkok, Antonio does not heavily rely on tourism, which makes it a more authentic experience.

I loved the experience so much that my partner and I returned two nights later. On the second evening I ordered the gnocchi with Gorgonzola sauce. Best gnocchi I've ever had. To out this into perspective my brother in law is Roman, and his family make home made gnocchi every Christmas. I have also travelled around Italy on a gastronomic itinery. I loved the gnocchi so much I asked Antonio what variety of potato he uses. He told me the variety keeps changing. It's the soil they are first in and the potatoes are locally sourced from Chiang Mai.

Antonio goes through a lot of effort to source the best local and imported ingredients to make up his menu. Regulars even request Antonio to specially ship in certain ingredients for their booking.

This is definitely fine dining value for money. Not cheap but definitely get what you pay for. I could not fault my two dining experiences at all. Friendly competent staff who are have an appreciation how to serve different cultures with different dining etiquette.

Definitely recommend it for a romantic night out or for the gastronomic tourist.

wi31skh9, Owner at Antonio's The Italian Experience, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

Dear Valued Customer,

Just a breif note to personally thank you for taking the time to write such a heartfelt review about your recent visit to my restaurant. As an owner, it always gives me a great sense of pride and gratitude when i know that my customers have enjoyed their dining experience with us on every level, this is what we do for a living and this is why we love what we do...thank you for sharing your experience with others.

Hope to see you at Antonio's again real soon!

Reviewed May 2, 2013 via mobile

We decided to go Anotonio from the nice comments from here and Italian rest. list from our hotel. We are disappointed and luckily we did not order more. We have to give credit to the nice service but not the average food.

First, bread is good. But the Caesar Salad is a mix of romaine and iceberg lettuce. I would prefer romaine only with higher price. And, if you wanna have crispy Italian pizza. Pls go to another restaurant cos they don't serve pizza.

Beef carpaccio is not sliced thin enough. Pasta, ravioli and risotto are ok but the taste is not very impressive. We had osso bucco with risotto as well. We could not taste a touch of beef probably the meat has been frozen for too long before it is cooked.

The price is not expensive but we would prefer better authentic food at higher price.

1  Thank chrishwsNYC

Dear Valued Customer,

In response to your review about your recent visit to my restaurant, i was very sorry to hear that your dining experience with us did not live up to your expectations. As a team, we work very hard everyday to achieve the best we possibly can for every customer, i also take a lot of pride in the produce that is carefully selected for my restaurant, which i can assure you is of the highest quality and a priority to my business, i hope that you will re-visit Antonio's again one day soon and allow us the opportunity to show you why so many diners have regarded Antonio's as one of Bangkok's premium Italian restaurants.