“Good size rooms.”
Review of Penpark Place

Penpark Place
Ranked #51 of 695 Bangkok B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 24, 2013

It is located away from Khao San Road so less noisy. It was around a 10-15 minute walk away.

The room was bigger than I expected and the air conditioning worked a treat. It was clean enough, but not as clean as it could have been.

The toilets and showers were separate to the room. They could have been cleaned more regularly and the toilet paper needed replacing more frequently than it was as it kept running out.

The staff were helpful but could have provided us with some information about the area. We did speak to the girl in reception but she was also the travel agent so the conversation was aimed at getting us to pay money for trips.

In reception there were computers with Internet which was a nice added extra.

Overall for the price the stay was fine. Cheaper can be found but I doubt the room would have been as big.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Penpark Place

Reviewed February 23, 2013

Can't fault the hostel. Perfectly clean, unexpected view from a Bangkok stay, plasma TV. First place we stayed in Thailand so was nice to have a bit of comfort. It only cost £7 a night per person however we soon learnt that for Thailand this was expensive and was quite luxurious as we were backpackers on a budget. Not far from the central Khao San Road however on our second visit to Bangkok we stayed on the road itself as for us we preferred to be where the action was even if it did mean harder beds and no TV.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

An excellent place to go and get away from the rush in Khao san road. You will enjoy it, service is great. The rooms are a bit old but still clean. Thanks to the helpful staff. There is also a laundry service within the hotel, take advantage of it, it is cheap

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Clean, basic rooms, nothing fancy. The staff are helpful, if not overly-friendly. Looking back, I think it's a little expensive what we paid for the room, as other friends who were traveling at the time had a roof-pool on Kaosahn road for the same price.

If you're short on time and need a place, go ahead and book here, it'll be fine. If you have some time, maybe spend an extra hour or two and see what else is available.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 6, 2013

The location of this budget hotel is perfect for exploring and in particular, is close to Koh San Road. The taxi, pleasingly, cost me much less than I had been quoted at the airport. The reception staff were very pleasant and friendly on arrival. A key deposit is paid on arrival, so make sure you have some money to hand.

My room, B25, was a good size with a reasonably comfortable, decent sized bed and en suite bathroom. The decor is functional - possibly like a bedroom in an asylum - but the very large windows let in plenty of natural light, which stops you from feeling like you've been institutionalized. My bedroom door felt like it was made out of cardboard, and the lock, which was a bit complicated to use, felt a bit flimsy. However, the place itself felt reasonably secure, and I had no problems with security.

My bedroom overlooked a hut and garden, and I did keep getting woken up at silly o'clock by a particularly noisy cock. That was slightly annoying.

I had a small issue with my room during my stay, but as soon as this was reported to staff, they checked it, and then called the relevant handyman-type person who came the next morning to fix it. The staff were still polite and excellent, even when I was a bit grumpy.

It is lacking in personality as an establishment, but it is cheap and well located, so it is forgiven for it's functional decor/atmosphere.

Room Tip: Nice big windows in B25 let in lots of light. Great room if you can sleep through cockerel crowing.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I got here very early in the morning from the airport and the staff was available and even friendly. Throughout my stay they seemed genuinely kind though limited English(but sure better than my Thai). There was a mix up with my room and they booked it out from under me after a few days stay...(see limited language comment) I had a single/shared bathroom on the 4th floor, good fan, window opened to garden, not too noisy at all by big city standards. (some neighbor room noise but mostly whited out by fan) When I arrived the whole place was very clean, but it did not stay that way...maybe they clean once a week? The rooftop area is OK, nothing special, but probably a good spot to rest and wait out your room availability and/ or your jet lag. Breakfast was good and the coffe thick and tasty.
The hot water worked well, just need to get the buttons pushed right and it was good. They were out of towels??? And the floor mat in the bathroom was a bit funky after a few days.
It seems that most of the guests were European and a bit older than the usual hostel crowd. Lots of smoking and TV in the group areas. Probably a good place to connect with others, which is what I usually do, but there was not a lot of friendliness here...perhaps language differences, but that is usually not a big deal as I speak a smattering of a few.
When you go out, make sure to take a card with a map. Taxi and tuktuk drivers had a hard time finding it and the map was essential. On the mainroad you can take the 65 or 33 bus to the Grand Palace area, walk to Kho San, and nearby is the river landing to catch a water taxi.
I would probably stay here again but it would not be my first choice.

C

Room Tip: Oops on the fitness and pool remarks. There aren't any andI could not erase them. Highest floo...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 19, 2013

very clean room and bathroom. staff is nice, but i had to ask towels, because there were no towels in the room.

we have room #B42 (twin, fan), ascetic, not cozy, the window was faced to the wall of neighbour building under construction. so, we had no sun light and no something like fresh air. blankets were synthetic, not pleasant to the touch.

rooms which were faced to inner garden looked better.. we were tolerant to our room, because stayed only 2 nights. days were spent in the city.

high building with 5 floors, but lift didn't work always. you have to climb with your luggage.

near reception is a travel office, where you can buy a ticket everywhere.

Room Tip: don't take rooms faced to neighboring buildings (B42), no sunlight, no air
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends