“Disgusting”
Review of The Overstay

The Overstay
Ranked #356 of 1,389 Specialty Lodging in Bangkok
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Well, for sure I didn't expect a place like a hotel but I even couldn't imagine something similar. The dirtiest place I've even seen! I would even say disgusting - when you enter the hostel you call easily smell a really heavy smell - people smoke inside and I guess drink in the evening so you can easily smell at everywhere. If you are lucky you will have a bed and if not - you will sleep on the floor on the matress. We arrived at 11 and we had to wait till 14 because no one could explain us where we could sleep. Well, it always depends how picky you are, but I have seen a bathroom that it was so much dirty that I even wouldn't think to take a shower there (moreover it was broken, what's a pity!). Don't even think to pay for the private room to get better conditions - we've seen them and it's as much ugly and disgusting as dormitory. The place is located in Thonburi, on another river side so for sure to get to the city center you have to take a taxi. At the end we left this place after 1 hour - paying 3 euro more we got a clean triple room with shower, AC and CLEAN blankets always in the same district, I know overstay is cheap but think twice before saving money.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Martynez

Reviewed May 4, 2013

It is true what some of the previous reviewers said. This hostel caters to a specific kind of person. The kind of person I see as a Bob Marley loving, liberal, vegan, weed smoking hippie.

I booked 3 nights in the dorm at 100 baht a night. I had paid for my whole stay in advance but I left after the first night. I wasn't expecting luxury, but it was probably the most uncomfortable night's sleep I'd ever actually paid for. The beds are rock solid, you are lucky if your bed has bed-sheets or a pillow (I took mine from a nearby bed that wasn't occupied). They claim that there is air-con from 10pm-8am which is fair enough because I know it is expensive to run. The air-con was switched on when I got back to the room around 11.30pm but I saw one of the employees come into the room at 6am to switch it off. The heat is unbearable without the AC, you just can't sleep in it.

That isn't why I am giving this hostel a poor review. I knew it wasn't going to be luxurious. They don't claim to be a five star resort. If this hostel had done the little things right then it would have got a 3/5 or a 4/5.

Here are the reasons I am choosing to rate this hostel 2/5:

- Unfriendly. It's very difficult to tell who actually works there, but the staff just don't care. I was shown to my room but not shown or informed about any of the facilities such as kitchen, lounge area etc. I don't think it costs them any more to be polite and helpful so taking one star off for that. I didn't find the guests to be friendly either. Most of them sounded like they had been staying there for ages (hence the name of the hostel I guess) and were unwilling to include me in their conversations.

- Location. Awful location, there is nothing nearby. Nowhere near any form of public transport except buses (and who can be bothered to figure the buses out if you're only in Bangkok for a couple of days?) so you need to get a taxi into town. This kind of kills the point of cheap accommodation for me.

Basically, I don't think it is even worth 100 baht. If you are considering staying here please do yourself a favour and book somewhere a little more expensive that is more central. Unless there happens to be something specific in this area that you wan't to be close to, there is no reason to stay in this area.

Room Tip: If you absolutely have to stay here then book a private room - perhaps they are better. The dorm is...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 30, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights whilst travelling around the world. The thing that made me book here was the price and that it looked unique. Everyone was really friendly throughout my stay. The accommodation isn't 5* but what are you expecting? A group of us headed to khao san road in the daytime, really easy to get to. At night, we would drink Leo and listen to music at the bar. A great experience for a solo female traveller.

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank Tarrah L
Reviewed April 1, 2013

this place is still cool as, i came back here for my last night in Bangkok before returning home the other day.
it has had a bit of a revamp with some fresh art and a new DJ both/corner area.
Good to be reunited with some of the local overstayers.
see you next time guys
peace

heres a vid i made the day i left last time, its a 7min review but covers the whole building, rooms and facilities:

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank turbominicooper
Reviewed March 26, 2013

The place is very specific. It is one of the cheapest hostels in Bangkok and its location is quite comfortable - you don't need to spend much time to get to the center of the city. But the atmosphere inside is very specific. There are strange paintings everywhere right on the walls - both in the corridor and inside rooms. There is a bar on the ground floor and almoust every night parties in there last until the very morning. Music is loud and it can disturb people who tries to sleep in single room at the first floor.
People who own the Overstay are friendly and have fluent English. You can use the kitchen to cook if you want but only vegetarian dishes. No meat allowed.
Photos here are quite old - nowdays there ARE beds in single rooms. But - warning - some of single rooms are without windows at all. Now the place looks age-worn and dim and you should think double before you decide to go there.
If you are going to the Overstay by taxi, you should be prepared to tell the driver full hostel address (better in Thai) cause taxi drivers don't usually know where the Overstay is located.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

I can see why people like it at The Overstay, when we turned up at midnight the party was thumping and we were made to feel welcome. The first words that came into our mind when we saw our room however was 'crack den', door didn't shut, mattress was dirty (and made from straw?!), the foot to the bathroom down the corridor had a hole on it. And u think there was some vomit under our bed. I'm in my 30's, it wasn't for me but if you're on a budget etc it might not be all that bad in the dorms!

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank Lp23egg
Reviewed December 20, 2012

Comfort is a commodity of the old. The frail. The sullen retirees and dutiful temple-photographers, basking in the arrogance of the belief that said comfort should always be the undisputed status quo. In fact, it is not, nor was it ever. Comfort means retiring from discomfort, stepping back from the reality of the hard cold ground by erecting your personal soft bed upon it, a bed that is as important to your sense of self as the people you drag into it. It’s warm, your bed, and perfect – it knows you, it doesn’t question you, it calls you, always, no matter how many too many you’ve had, like a beacon in the cold night, home.

The problem is you’ve left home now. It’s a few time zones and a sizeable sum away. You’ve taken some of it with you in your backpack, but your bed, I’m guessing, did not fit. And that’s fine. Leave it at home. It’ll be there when you return. No one will steal it – they may take your grandma’s jewels, desecrate your CD-collection and even murder your dog, but your bed will still be safely in place. In the meantime, use the opportunity to cheat on it. Cheat also on your kitchen, your living room and your favourite reclining chair. Cheat with the Overstay, where the walls are painted and the people passionate. Where the conversations grab your attention more than any cockroaches ever could. You can use words like ‘artists’ or ‘free spirit’ or even less meaningful ones like ‘hippie’, but ultimately the guests and residents here are people. People with stories that reach further than exchanging lists of hitherto invaded countries and people who prefer the company of each other over the company of fried scorpions. They cook, they paint, they talk, they listen. To you and to each other. Cheat with them on your comfort. Dispose of your claim for ‘nice’ – it is, as Sting has once wisely said, the worst word in the English language and the dullest description you could possibly give of a place you chose to stay at in a foreign country.

Come here and be intrigued, stirred, surprised, with and by those people. Because ours is a world of people, not beds. And definitely not cockroaches.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo