Lowest prices for your stay
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
$7
View deal
Hotels.com$7
FindHotel
Travelocity$7
Orbitz.com$7
CheapTickets
Trip.com$7
See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed December 21, 2012

Comfort is a commodity of the old. The frail. The sullen retirees and dutiful temple-photographers, basking in the arrogance of the belief that said comfort should always be the undisputed status quo. In fact, it is not, nor was it ever. Comfort means retiring from discomfort, stepping back from the reality of the hard cold ground by erecting your personal soft bed upon it, a bed that is as important to your sense of self as the people you drag into it. It’s warm, your bed, and perfect – it knows you, it doesn’t question you, it calls you, always, no matter how many too many you’ve had, like a beacon in the cold night, home.

The problem is you’ve left home now. It’s a few time zones and a sizeable sum away. You’ve taken some of it with you in your backpack, but your bed, I’m guessing, did not fit. And that’s fine. Leave it at home. It’ll be there when you return. No one will steal it – they may take your grandma’s jewels, desecrate your CD-collection and even murder your dog, but your bed will still be safely in place. In the meantime, use the opportunity to cheat on it. Cheat also on your kitchen, your living room and your favourite reclining chair. Cheat with the Overstay, where the walls are painted and the people passionate. Where the conversations grab your attention more than any cockroaches ever could. You can use words like ‘artists’ or ‘free spirit’ or even less meaningful ones like ‘hippie’, but ultimately the guests and residents here are people. People with stories that reach further than exchanging lists of hitherto invaded countries and people who prefer the company of each other over the company of fried scorpions. They cook, they paint, they talk, they listen. To you and to each other. Cheat with them on your comfort. Dispose of your claim for ‘nice’ – it is, as Sting has once wisely said, the worst word in the English language and the dullest description you could possibly give of a place you chose to stay at in a foreign country.

Come here and be intrigued, stirred, surprised, with and by those people. Because ours is a world of people, not beds. And definitely not cockroaches.

Date of stay: November 2012
Trip type: Traveled solo
7  Thank SebastianGutnik
Reviewed December 7, 2012 via mobile

I came here with the intention of staying one night as a stepping stone to finding somewhere else and ended up staying a few weeks.
In all fairness id originally planned to stay in the dorm but as I walked into the dark vandalised bar area and was taken through the building to the dorm I felt it would be safer to stay in one of the single rooms (200bht).
The room was quite stuffy with no windows but hosted a stand up fan and a double bed, I later discovered the extraction fan which made sleeping that bit easier. Note if you are a light sleeper u may struggle here but there are alternative rooms in this 6 stories building away from the noise.
After getting to know the crowd and realising there not the thieving druggies I've read about on reviews I moved into the dorm (100bht) which was surprisingly more light, cooler and airy then the rooms and felt quite comfortable (it was a huge upgrade from one id stayed in in india).

Basically with the overstay dont judge a book by its cover, u will b shocked, u will question where u are but give it a chance and ul see why it's called the overstay

Date of stay: December 2012
2  Thank turbominicooper
Reviewed November 20, 2012

I love it, i am actually staying in it, and i am definitly going to OVERSTAY!!
People are amazing, there are such good vibes!
I found it so peacfull and chilled!
It is the only hostel cheap and amazing you can definitly find in bangkok..
There is a art floor and you can also cook vegetarian food there, it's just amazing, I love it!!

Date of stay: November 2012
Reviewed November 18, 2012

I stayed for a week at the overstay, and i really enjoyed the friendliness of the people there, the art work is really cool and for that price (3 dollars) it s unbeatable. I would recommend it to people with a bit of alternative mind set, and it s not even dirty the cleaner is working full time and the bathrooms are clean especially in the upper level where the dorm is. All in all i had a great time and will definitely be back

Room tip: Dorm is really good for the price
Date of stay: October 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank johno w
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Oh - my - god! I have quite honestly never seen anything like it. My husband and I arrived late at night after searching for hours for the place. We had just arrived in Bangkok, but being seasoned travellers we know what to expect from a budget hostel. However, on my life, I never expectd this! They had no booking for us and we waited in the bar area whilst our room was prepared, just looking at this area we should have known to get out.
We walked up a few flights of stairs through what I assume were the dorms (strips of sponge on the floor), in near darkness and a flurry of cockroaches, to our room on the top floor. There was a single bed in there (despite booking a double room) and a large square of foam on the floor. The incredibly filthy sheet was too small for the foam and there was a strip of cloth over the window held in with pins. The door barely closed never mind locked, and the walls were covered in graffiti (we booked because it looked like a cool artistic place- you can tell there used to be some art on the walls but is now covered with mindless graffiti)!
After our long flight, all I wanted to do was take a shower. So I ventured to the floor below to check out the shared bathroom. This was the deciding factor for us to go and find somewhere else to stay. The walls in the bathroom were covered in years of grime, the toilet was disgusting and didn't even work, there was a strange plastic tub filled with dank water and soapscum, the electric shower was hanging off the wall and was clearly unused and there was rubbish everywhere! And it also seems acceptable to walk in on someone in the bathroom as of course there isn't a lock on what you might call a door.
The only redeeming factor of this place is that Patrick (the guy who showed us to our room) was very friendly and understanding and gave us some suggestions of where to stay.
Our 4 month trip was not off to a good start but all our future accommodation has been compared to this place. So, unless you're in the habit of drinking into oblivion, avoid this place at all cost. You can definitely find some clean and basic accommodation for a similar price on khao san rd.

Room tip: Find somewhere else!
Date of stay: August 2012