All reviewschatuchak marketsaphan kwaiunique roomssoft towelsstreet foodmo chitminute walkhuge roomvictory monumentbts
Reviewed May 9, 2017

We didn't what to expect from this place when we read the reviews from TA. Decided that we should give it a try as there were some positive reviews. Definitely needs updating but due to their unique and strange decor, its defects blended well. We were in a party of 3 groups. Our room had the theme of 'Rice' while the other 2 groups had a Tropical theme and the 3rd room, an almost' Dracula' feel atmosphere with mirrors up on the King bedroom. Water stained walls and dark colored effects. Spooky, don't really know what to make up of it. Not sure if I can sleep in this kind of ambience. The room was large and spacious though. Not modern but passeable. Its definitely a unique experience if you are prepared to try something different. Tasty Street foods come alive in the evening. A 15-20 mins walk to the nearest MRT. Free simple breakfast available at the hotel.

Room Tip: No lift, so avoid the 3 or 4th floor as you have to carry your luggage. Ask for a simple theme room.
  • Stayed: May 2017, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 4, 2017

Stayed in room 305 which had a private rooftop. Loved it! Huge room, comfortable bed, excellent shower, and very soft towels. :)
The staff here are incredibly friendly and helpful.
With so many unique rooms, it's very hard to choose which one. They offer that you can stay in a different one each night. Breakfast buffet was good with fried eggs and ham, Thai food, toast, fruits and cereals. Fresh coffee here-a must.
Plenty of street food and local restaurants at doorstep and a 15 minute walk to Chatuchak market. Less than 10 minute walk to Bts station. Great alternative for those a little tired of the khao san area.

• Stayed: April 2017, traveled as a couple
1  Thank coloni2014
Reviewed March 27, 2017

Good for backpakers, even a bit to pricey. First the room didn't look at all as we saw when we book this hotel . I found a condom and a string in the room, big smell of humidity and not super clean, dark, a small window . At least the staff was kind but didn't propose us a better room and just give us back the money, but we had to moove of hotel in the same evening....

• Stayed: March 2017, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Doumvn
Reviewed January 18, 2017 via mobile

This hotel looks like a film studio from the sixties. Each room has a particular theme.
This hotel is a must see in Bangkok.
Within walking distance from the BTS station Saphan Kwai, it's located near the famous weekend market Jatujak. They have daily and monthly rates.
Downstairs is a Thai restaurant with reasonable price and a Thai ice cream shop.

Stayed: January 2017, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 6, 2017

I have respect for Trip Advisor reviewers and realize that all reviews are ultimately very subjective in nature, but having said that, I am genuinely confounded at all the very positive that Mystic Place has earned. Having both lived in Thailand and visited multiple times, I am familiar with the hotel scene in BKK and Thailand generally. I am also familiar with this area and have stayed in several hotels in the Sapan Kwai neighborhood. This hotel – Mystic Place – is really pretty terrible.

Yes, there are worse hotels – such as some of the real dirt cheap, backpacker type guesthouses. And I have stayed in some of these places before. But for the price, nice looking webpage photos, and positive reviews for Mystic Place, I was expecting a far better experience that what we had.

Mystic Place is essentially a couple rows of shop houses that have been converted into a hotel. The bottom floor has “deluxe rooms” that are truly huge. We reserved one of these deluxe rooms (room 201). Upon entering the room, we were hit with a blast of strong, moldy odor – the kind of musty, mildew scent that makes you nauseous. Believe me, this is a STRONG odor, and although the air con can mitigate the smell a bit, it is still there.

The décor of the room is intended to be “quirky and artsy”. Yes, there are some very odd and funky design elements in the room, like the fuschia colored walls and bizarre mix of furniture. But really, it feels like a very cheap mix of flea market type knick knacks thrown together in a rush. Even then, the room doesn’t work at all because it is poorly lit with common fluorescent lighting, the walls are painted badly with plenty of chips, marks, and stains all over, and the furniture has cracks, marks, and is generally run down and ugly looking. The result is not “artsy kitsch” but just a dismal mess.
The front part of the room has somewhat nice hardwood flooring. But the back half is covered with this cheap, plastic, fake floor covering, which surely covers up what must be deeply ingrained moldy floors that create the horrible scent in the room. I simply cannot overstate how nauseous the room odor was.

Additionally, the front door to the outside are lockable glass doors, covered with curtain shades. The curtains were ugly and stained, with holes, and were literally clipped together with a binder clip! (the kind of binder clip that you use to clip together some papers). The tables in the room were stained wither liquid/cup marks. The toilet in the room was actually placed on a converted stairwell in the back of the room! In other words, you had to walk up a half floor to the toilet, and there was no covering or privacy to the rest of the room (bizarre!). The bathroom was basically a large, converted wet kitchen in the back of the room. Thus, it is very large, but completely ugly in the sense that it was lit by a large fluorescent light, and ugly, stained grey cement walls partially covered by chipped away stone wall covering and a very old wall painting. The sink in the room was stained from decades of use.

Now for the few positive points about this place: The staff we encountered (briefly) were friendly and helpful. The bed and bed clothes did seem clean. The breakfast is made to order (eggs or rice) in the connected restaurant (let me also add that the street-side restaurant does look nice – thus if you were to walk past it, it would give you the false impression that the rest of the hotel might be nice too). And, at night food is easy to find because there are tons of street stalls just outside the hotel, as well as a few good Indian/Muslim restaurants, 7-11s, etc. Additionally, the BTS Sapan Kwai station is about a 10-12 minute walk away, as well as the large Big C department store and food court. Those are the only good things about this place.

I am familiar with the neighborhood because we have family property in the area, and I have stayed at several hotels in the vicinity, including the Pradipat, Elizabeth, Karnmanee, and Siam Palace. All these places are pretty soul-less and have their own issues, but I would say that staying in the Elizabeth would probably be a better bet for the money. Mystic Place has a real opportunity to be a truly “nice” hotel in the neighborhood, but in order to do so they need to totally renovate the entire place – and I would guess they would have to completely gut the rooms to get under the floors and walls in order to remove the mold and mildew which creates that nauseating odors in their rooms.

I really cannot recommend this place at all. There are surely plenty of other boutique, artsy hotels in BKK, and this may have been one such place a few decades ago – but now it really is just a horrible, icky mess. In fact, for the money we paid – I would have to stay it’s the worst hotel I have ever stayed in in Thailand.

• Stayed: January 2017, traveled as a couple