Niras Bankoc Cultural Hostel
$85
SO Sofitel Bangkok(Bangkok)
$230
$188
All reviewspad thaikhao san roadbig lockerscommon roomthe cafe downstairsgiant swinggrand palacewat saketgolden mountainoreo milkshakethai milk teashampoo and body washstaff were incredibly helpfulwalking distanceshared bathroomfacilities are greatthe perfect place to stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 8, 2013

I've been to Bangkok many times before and always stayed in dorms elsewhere, but this year i was travelling with my boyfriend so wanted to find a hostel that had double rooms as well as dorms, and this one was recommended on TripAdvisor. Although it was slightly over our budget I can see why it had such good reviews and it was worth paying the extra to stay here!

The room was spacious and clean, with a large TV ad DVD player and lots of dvd's to choose from for free, for those nights when you need to chill out!!! The room has its own fridge and freezer too... amazing for stocking up on your own food and drinks from the local shops if you're on a tight budget. Air con included.

The bathrooms were plentiful and clean, with shower gel and shampoo (which again when you're on a budget is a mega plus!).

The staff were super friendly and helpful with everything you needed, from basic about town advice if you've never been before to helping with more practical things too. I caught an ear infection while in Koh Samui and by the time i got to the hostel off the train, i was in quite a lot of pain. The staff were so nice and helped look up hospitals that would be best, called them for me, wrote down the directions in Thai for a taxi driver and flagged me a cab. Amazing. I was back in a short amount of time, to the staff's welcoming faces and questions of whether or not i was OK and feeling better.

The laundry service was relatively cheap and fast. The cafe downstairs was brill to hang out and there was also a movie showing room with a huge flat screen and sofa.
The coffee and breakfasts were good too.

My boyfriend and I are travelling around Asia for a few more weeks and end our trip flying out from Bangkok. I will be staying here anytime i'm in Bangkok from now on.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank minimeanderer
iamBankoc, Owner at Niras Bankoc Cultural Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2013

Dear valued guest,
Thank you very much for your kind review and true opinion after stay with us. Your description is very detailed with lots of positive things and tells other travellers the very clear picture of our hostel.

Thank you for remembering our service and help regarding your illness , we 're very pleased to assist you and so glad that you recovered .

We all wish you great safe trip and wonderful adventure . See you both again in Bangkok.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

I visited Bangkok in July 2013 for the first time and was lucky enough to book a room at Niras Bankoc Cultural Hostel. The room and facilities were clean and tidy, aircon is reliable. Loved the café area, there is such an ambiance. The girls at the reception are very helpful and kind. Especially, Poupe, who was always full of suggestions of where to go and what to discover. The location of the hostel is ideal for a tourist as it is in walking distance to the Grand Palace and some wats. I will surely be back!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank fzsl80
iamBankoc, Owner at Niras Bankoc Cultural Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Dear Valued guest,
It's great see welcome you in Bangkok and thank you for your review.
Your kind review showed us how much you appreciate our service and even remember lots of wonderful things such as our hard working staff with great spirit -Poupe and all her supports.
Hope to see you and your family again in Bangkok.

Niras team

Reviewed May 10, 2013

I stayed here at the beginning and end of my trip in Thailand and wouldn't stay anywhere else if I'm ever in Bangkok again! Staff are so friendly, always genuinely interested and happy to help with anything. Such a clean hostel, no dodgey stains on bed sheets! A/C never fails which is a must in Bangkok.
For coffee lovers, it's not only a hostel but a coffee shop too and the coffee is really good. This makes meeting people really easy as everyone comes together in the one place - I met a bunch of really cool people.
Just across the road is amazing pad thai and loads of other local food stalls with amazing food.

Koh San Road is only 10 minutes away which is really handy for when you want to submerge yourself into that craziness but you don't have to put up with it in the hostel.
Wonderful place, loved my stay here. Thankyou! :)

Room Tip: Sleep quality is based solely on the chances of having a noisy roommate! Very rare as the noisy ones usually choose koh San road.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
6  Thank Hannah T

Thank you for your long stay with us and having you as a kind guest & good friend .We were very happy to get to know you.Thank you for your review from our property , coffee and famous pad thai next door.We 're glad that you saw lots of good things about us and old Bangkok area.
Thank you very much for letting our place be your home in Bangkok . See you again next time .

Niras team

Reviewed May 6, 2013

Niras Bankoc is a great hostel with very friendly, helpful and honest personnel, comfortable rooms, clean bathrooms and a cozy entrance lounge kept in English style where you can have lovely decorated coffee (fo a reasonable price), English breakfast or just a nice chat with travelers or the staff. (The entrance area looks a little bit like in an English café/pub but i think the staff is native Thai.) I really liked it very much and would definitely come back again anytime!
I went there with 3 other friends and they also liked it a lot.
The only thing I didn't like so much was that it was really warm in the bathrooms...but that's just the climate of Bangkok I guess.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank 791dianap
iamBankoc, Owner at Niras Bankoc Cultural Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

Dear valued guest,
Thank you for taking your valuable time to write us the wonderful review. It's great to have a chance to welcome your group in Bangkok. Thank you for your nice description about our cafe and lobby area .We 're glad you liked our vintage character, facilities and signature gourmet coffee too.
We do hope to see all of you again next time.

Reviewed April 24, 2013

I've been here for almost 10 days and, having been in other places in both the Sukhumvit area and Khao San road, I can say this is one of the best places to stay in Bangkok, if not the best. the hostel is impeccably clean, the staff are incredibly friendly and helpful, and he facilities are great. A/C works perfectly, and the decoration is so great you quickly forget you're in a hostel. To round things up, there is a nice and enjoyable café on the front where people can hang out, and the place is so relaxed you can even bring outside food and drinks and have them right there (sometimes the staff will even join you to meals!). The neighborhood is peaceful, and just across the street there are delicious food stalls and a restaurant with one of the best Pad Thai in town.

If you like action, the place is at walking distance from Khao San road, and in a convenient location for buses. If you're travelling alone, this is the best deal you can get for your money. The only negative point, although very small, is that the blankets look like they were manufactured to be oversized towels, I greatly recommend this place!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Jorge_Kost

Dear Valued guest and friend ,

There's nothing wonderful more than to have our guest as a friend .Thank you for your long stay and always choosing us everytime you visit Bangkok .Our team were always happy to see you every morning and helped you enjoy our city as real traveller who loves culture. Thank you for being so kind and friendly to all staff members. All of the words in the review are honest .
We all hope to welcome you again in the future and see our old good friend !
Thank you again for the kind review .