I made a last-minute booking at this hotel two nights before I left for Bangkok for a K-pop concert held at Rajamangala Stadium last April (2012).
A friend and I were supposed to bunk in at a Thai friend's place. But after considering how difficult it may be to get a taxi back to her place, I made the last-minute booking via Agoda.
The room and bathroom reminded me a lot of the one I stayed in Taiping (Perak, Malaysia). Please search for my review on that for further details.
What I liked about it:
1. It was compact yet comfortable. The queen bed can fit two females around 5 feet 5 and UK size 12/14 comfortably :P
2. Flat screen tv
3. Hot shower -- very important for pre- and post-concert
4. Cool sensor-based elevator. You just tap your room key card to the sensor and press the floor you're going to.
5. Friendly, helpful staff
6. Very fast taxi service to get to anywhere you want. The hotel will call one for you and the cab driver is there within 5 minutes.
What I didn't love:
1. No free wifi
2. Limited breakfast options, especially for Muslims and vegetarians.
3. Not close enough to the stadium :P
4. My room was not ready when I reached the hotel at about 3pm. The housekeeping staff were still working on it. But they allowed me and my friend to settle in while they worked. It took them about 5 minutes to finish, though.
You should know by now that this hotel is nowhere near Bangkok city centre. But it's a decent choice for those attending concerts/football matches at the Rajamangala Stadium.
Be PREPARED to walk on your way back after the concert or match. It will take you about 20 to 30 minutes because it is about 2.5km away from the concert. It's quite safe to walk because many people do walk back from the concert. You will see some trying their luck at hailing a cab along the way.
The hotel does provide a calling card with a map and instructions written in Thai. If you are not sure where you are going, best to stop at a 7-11 -- you will see a few on the way back. We found English speaking staff there who assured us that we're still 10 mins away. But if we had walked straight until the end of the road, we would've found the hotel on our own. We were just impatient as our feet were hurting more from standing for some 5 hours then walking the 2.5km :p
I gave it an average because there were no "good" options. But the hotel is not bad. It's pretty decent and value for money.
Stay here if the hotels nearer (within 5 to 10 minutes walk) to the stadium are all fully-booked.
But if you're desperate like we were, pack good walking shoes and extra doses of patience in your luggage.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Patra (Hotel near Suvarnabhumi Airport) is conveniently situated near a sky train station with links to both Suvarnabhumi International Airport and center of Bangkok with easy access to shopping venues and tourist attractions. The Patra offers impressive in-room facilities with finest interior décor carefully-selected for guests. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Ctrip TA, Hotwire and TripOnline SA so you can book your The Patra Suvarnabhumi reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Patra Place Rama 9 Hotel Bangkok