“Rude Staff and Tatty Rooms”

Sathorn Grace Serviced Residence
Ranked #873 of 1,344 Specialty Lodging in Bangkok
Reviewed December 6, 2012

This place was probably nice a few years ago. But now all the towels are frayed and the furniture is chipped and scuffed, making the rooms very unpleasant. The hotel charges for everything, including the use of an iron! The staff have very limited local knowledge and the hotel is a good 15 minute walk from the BTS. I shall not be returning.

2  Thank Si L

Reviewed December 1, 2012

We stayed one week at Sathorn with our baby daughter and had a very good experience. Staff is super friendly and made a very pleasant stay. Our room was clean with all the amenities needed and it was very quiet at night. The rooftop pool is fantastic, clean, big and we had it mostly to ourselves. The area is pretty diverse, in a good way, with lots of local eateries (great noodle soups, sticky rice desserts, yummy fried rice and a superb vegetarian place within 200m, plus proper restos within 10min walk) and small shops. Good coffee place and a 7/11 right next door. Shuttle to Skytrain station is very useful given the heat and the reception was helpful in finding our way around the city. Really good value for money in that price range, happy to come back.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank varda123
Reviewed November 30, 2012

After a dissapointing two weeks in the Philippines I decided to move onto Bangkok, a place where I had enjoyed around six or seven pleasant stays in hotels ranging fom Le Bua, Grand Pullman & Glow Trinity all ranging star rating & price however all excellent.
Unfortunately the Glow Trinity was fully booked on this occaison so I opted for the Sathorn Grace for my nine night stay.
After arriving at around 2am Saturday I was greeted by a very untidy, unhelpful & generally miserable young man on reception, not a good start!
The following day due to a problem with my reservation with Late Rooms I tried to resolve this matter with reception to which I was bluntly told 'your booking is with Late Rooms not with us, take up your problem with them!
Later that day I needed to contact the UK, as there is no information in the rooms regarding how to get an outside line I once again contacted reception, after what felt like an eternity I was given FIVE numbers, all of which were wrong, the simplest of tasks & yet so difficult...
Towards the latter of my stay the manager approached me for my views to which I explained all the above, he assured me that he would look into the matter.
To sum up the Sathorn Grace, it's a shame because what could be quite a nice hotel is ruined by a small minority of reception staff with a negative attitude & definately need a lesson in personnel skills.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank northernmonkey6969
Reviewed November 30, 2012

The complex is only 4 years old. The building has 8 floors and the pool is on the 8th. floor. The room is modern, nice and clean. When our van pulled into the complex, the driver was told to turn left but then has to turn around because the driveway is so tight. I saw a man ran out of the lobby putting on his jacket uniform approching us to assit with the luggages. When we arrived at our room; the bellboy has to call the in-house mechanic to turn the power on. It is a good policy to conserve the energy but the incident did not speak well of how they are prepared the rooms for their guests. I did out routine checking and cleaning our rooms. The first thing I noticed was the bed has no top sheet just fitted sheet and the blanket. I called down to the lobby asking for a top sheet, an iron and ironing board. Before it was delivered I got a call advising me that there was a charge for 200 bahts for this service but it was only a one-time charge. I have never encountered this type of fee before but agreed to pay. The front desk clerk was friendly. Our room came with free breakfast. You can order either fried eggs or boiled rice as your main dish. The menu also said the breakfast also has fresh fruits. When I inquired about it I was told the merchant has not dropped off the fruits yet. I was looking forward to spend time in the pool. As I have mentioned before it is located on the 8th. Floor. The water was so cloudy. I inquired about it and was told it has to do with the last night rain. I was confused but I gave them the benefit of the doubt. We stayed there for 4 days and the pool water remained cloudy. Needless to say I did not get into the pool.
There are no restaurants around within the walking distances. The next morning I visited the in house restaurant again for breakfast but this time the place was dark and the only a person in the place was the cook. He told me the staffs were running late. We were told to come back in one half of an hour. We went back and had our breakfast; again without any fresh fruits. The same type of tardy happened again on the third day. I checked on the pool again to find out the water condition. There was no change.
This complex can be a nice place to stay even though the location is not so desirable. But if the present management team continues to run the operations this way, this complex is definitely will be out of business real soon.

3  Thank d2s1c2j
Reviewed November 27, 2012 via mobile

I again made the mistake of booking based on great reviews. Not sure what the hype is about. The place is clean and fairly new. The room is big - like a studio apartment.
The location is in a completely local area and nothing around but very dirty local places - no farang-friendly restaurants within easy walking distance. It's about 15 minutes walk to silom road.
The room is nothing special - almost no extras. They built an entire kitchen in the room, but neglected to include a hot plate or cooking gear.
I could have gotten a normal hotel room for the same price. Breakfast double the local price. Few tv channels. Really not seeing the value.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed November 18, 2012

We stayed here for 8 nights in November and were very satisfied. The staff were all extremely friendly and helpful and the manager's English was very good. The hotel wasn't too busy and all the promised amenities were available. The pool on the roof was great and we had it pretty much to ourselves (never more than 2 others up there) The transport to the skytrain was always available and offered to us. We took the studio room which we found to be spacious and clean and perfectly big enough for a weeks stay. The only slight quibble was the limited English language TV channels. The shower was lovely. The breakfast (a choice of european- any kind of eggs) or eastern- any kind of rice- together with very good water melon, toast etc. was good, relaxed and provided by very helpful friendly staff. It was also useful to have the tiny 'balcony' to hang out washing/swim stuff to dry, but it wasn't suitable for sitting out on (and no view anyway)
If we had had less time in Bangkok we might have been slightly frustrated by the location of this hotel as it wasn't particularly near to the main site-seeing or shopping areas. However, as we had the time and the city is so large, it was easy to take the skytrain, tuk-tuk or taxi to where-ever we wanted to go, and it was about equidistant to all areas, although easiest for places on the skytrain. We did, however appreciate being in an area which was not particularly for tourists, with lots of local shops and schools and people going about their normal lives and not just selling stuff to tourists. There were street stalls selling food nearly which we enjoyed taking back to our room. The sticky rice with beans and banana was a particular favourite. There is also a restaurant just up the same road which says Thai Cuisine on the window and cooks AMAZING food. I would particularly recommend the sea bass, cooked in a number of equally delicious ways!

Room Tip: We thought the studio room was fine.
Reviewed August 31, 2012

In last March, I have to attend a conference held in one of the five star hotel in the heart of Bangkok. I brought my mother as a companion rather than alone, of course she would not join the conference. Therefore I tried to choose an apartment to stay rather than in the hotel, means to gave her more spacious to move. Then we choose Grace Satorn Apartment in Bangkok, this was a great find. The apartments, we had two bedrooms were huge. The rooms are kind of big and enough space and even have a kitchen with fully equipment. The building and its room are clean and hygienic standards are high, just as we expected it from such a hotel. We stayed there for three nights. The location was perfect for our needs, lots of supermarkets and food stalls, plenty of places to eat at all around. The staffs were really friendly and very helpfully with one stop of service, they guided my mother to get around through this bustling city and suggested her where to go and where not to go. My mother enjoyed every minute of our stay in Grace Satorn Residence and we would highly recommend this to all our friends!

Room Tip: Choose the two bedrooms apartment
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business