“So much better the second time!”

Anantara Sathorn Bangkok Hotel
Ranked #74 of 884 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed November 23, 2012

I visited this hotel last January and came back this November and found it to be much improved.
The breakfast was great. They now have fresh food section for pancakes and eggs, and most other foods were much improved. I stayed in a two bedroom suite on the 38th floor and it was great. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank kpchitown

Reviewed November 22, 2012

I stayed at the Anantara Sathorn for 4 nights. The hotel is very well maintained and the rooms are excellent. The bathroom is incredibly spacious and features a nice rain shower. The room service dining options were all great. The staff was friendly and helpful, particularly the doormen. Additionally, the skytrain is a short walk from the hotel and can get you to anywhere in Bangkok.

All of that said, what makes this property really stand out in my opinion was the complimentary breakfast buffet. Many excellent options, both western and Thai. I looked forward to dining every morning.

If you want to do any exploring outside of Bangkok during your stay, I highly recommend Bangkok Day Tours. We took the trip to Kanchanaburi to ride elephants and visit the Tiger Temple, and it was outstanding.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 486BrianS
Reviewed November 21, 2012

this was our 2nd time back to the anantara after a wonderful stay the first time round.

everything was as great as previous until we ordered room service late at night. after close to an hour our food arrived, only to be cold. we called the restaurant and they said they would remove it, but by this time we were frustrated and did not want to wait another hour for another meal.

we were not happy by the way this was dealt by the restaurant staff, however when it was brought up to the restaurant manager (james) and the GM, our complaint was taken with utmost respect and was dealt with as a serious matter.

we were so pleased with how our complaint was finally taken up that we have just booked to stay back at the anantara again for the 3rd year running. hopefully this time we will have only pleasant things to report :)

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank torij89
Sylvie-RM, Manager at Anantara Sathorn Bangkok Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2012

Dear Reviewer:

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent stay at Anantara Bangkok Sathorn

We value your loyalty and your candid input regarding the issue with the room service delays .

Please feel free to contact me directly at szotoff@anantara.com should I be able to assist you in ensuring that your third visit will be perfect.

Kind regards
Sylvie Zotoff
Resident Manager

Reviewed November 20, 2012

I traveled with work and stayed for 8 nights in this hotel. I had a regular budget room facing the swimming pool. Even though it was a basic room, it had a bedroom, a living space and a bathroom. There was also a sort of kitchen (a sink and some cupboards, a microwave would have been useful) and a dining table. Impressive stuff, and also two balconies! Two!

The front desk staff were excellent, very helpful. Keener than most hotels to sell me their sisters/daughters, but don't forget you are in Bangkok where every taxi driver is the same so it isn't even that out of place. Just tell them you have other plans. They will happily arrange a cab for you and give you maps about places to go.

The breakfast is wonderful, featuring proper milk! A first in my Asian odyssey and a welcome relief for my bran flakes in the morning. The Thai buffet plus unlimited wine is a great deal and the food was really great. Signor Sassi on the top floor has some stunning views (not quite Kowloon Bay, but not too shabby!) and the food was seriously pricy and actually the rib-eye was probably the worst I've had in 5 star Asian hotels. It was still good but it wasn't stunning. The service was top-tier though. You can also eat room service in the bar on the very top floor which is nice if eating alone in your room isn't your thing. One beef here: They chuck you out around 11:00? I deal with jet-lag by staying up until 02:00 and that's tricky when the whole place seems to close way before then. The staff were great, with one lady even staying behind after her shift to serve me which was very lovely of her.

The swimming pool is salt water, cold and utter heaven. I've read complaints about the wooden decking and it's not perfect but the pool more than makes up for it. I wish it was a little wider so more than 4 people could do lengths together in the morning but honestly, it's been two weeks since I was there and I still miss that pool. Really well designed pool area where you can sit around drinking in the warm moonlight. Nice.

The gym is excellent, with a smith machine and plenty of colour coded plates. Could have used a pull up bar for when others wanted to use the smith, and a dip stations with belt would have been welcome, but the dumbells went plenty high enough (35kg, I think?) so all in all well equipped. The gym staff were also top-tier, often running adhoc yoga/stretching classes for interested folks. They were also helpful with spotting and supporting supersets which was most welcome. Thanks gym staff!

Location wise, it's near to one of the skytrain stations. A free shuttle bus will take you, but I'd recommend the 10 minute walk as you'll get to see the street food/traffic and soak up southern Bangkok. The skytrain is great, easy to use, unbelieveably cheap and will take you all over the city quickly. Taxi's can be tough as the streets are so busy. I went to Khao San Road in a cab one night and it took 10 minutes, the next night when I returned it took an hour and half. Not the hotel's fault, clearly, just plan your journey carefully, ask the desk staff if it's likely to be busy and use the skytrain where you can.

There are probably better or more central hotels in Bangkok but if I ever return I will be requesting this one as I enjoyed my time at Anantara Sathorn a great deal.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Alec B
Reviewed November 19, 2012

The Anantara Sathorn Hotel is one of my favourite hotels in Bangkok. Very kind staff at the front desk and at the Concierge. A good variety of breakfast. Large and comfortable rooms. Big and nice designed showers. Unfortunately (or fontunalely) it's about 400 meters beside the busy Silom Road. So if you like it quiet at night you're right at this hotel. If you like it more busy around the hotel you have to walk 10 minutes. But close to the hotel is a very good supermarket and some small Thai-kitchens.

Room Tip: 910 was with a view to the pool.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Double we stayed at was spatious anf had alot of space to unpack our bags which is not neccessarily a given at many hotels. Swimmingpool is deep and long enough for more than just a few strokes, there is an attended gym adjacent to the pool area. Other than that room had signs of wear and tear and might need some attention pretty soon. Location may seem not so central, but it is quiet for Bangkok and within an easy reach of attractions, shopping and nightlife.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 18, 2012

First time staying at Anantara Sathorn. Good central location and the local BTS station is a 5-10min walk away making it pretty easy to get around - avoiding the Bangkok traffic!! Staff were always welcoming and friendly. We chose the Kasara Deluxe Room which was contemporary in design, very spacious, including a great balcony with views over the city skyline. Cleanliness in the room and the hotel was maintained to a high standard. The pool was a great escape from the heat and bustling streets.

As part of our stay we had access to the Kasara Lounge where you can enjoy cocktails and tasty little appetisers while watching the night drawn in. The Kasara staff were courteous and attentive. We met the hotel exec chef James on a couple of our visits to the Kasara Lounge and he was utterly charming - he recommended us to try and few of his favourite local restaurants and they didn't disappoint. We happened to be in Bangkok for the weekend and James suggested we tried the Sunday Brunch at the sister hotel, the Anantara Riverside. Oh my days!! Out of this world food and a must do!

We have stayed in Bangkok on many occasions and always tend to stay in local brand hotels as they offer the best bang for your buck and the Sathorn is probably the best we've stayed in so far in the city. For the same money you'd be lucky to get an average room in one of the international brand hotels, and at the Sathorn you get so much more.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple